07-02-13, 03:35 PM   #1
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question about uploading add-ons

I tried to upload a slightly modified version of an existing add-on from another website, including a link to the original and credit to the author, and apparently it wasn't approved. What exactly is the rule on such things?
07-02-13, 03:44 PM   #2
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I'm not sure if there were any other issues here (I can check, if you like), but generally the policy is that unless the addon has a license which explicitly mentions that you are free to redistribute it in any way you want, you need actual permission from the author.

Also, this:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23667
07-02-13, 03:45 PM   #3
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That's something to post under this category
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=18
or maybe PM a moderator about, not much other authors will be able to tell you except common sense stuff.

Maybe the addon has a restrictive license that doesn't permit forks?
Maybe it has an active maintainer? etc
Fan updates are tolerated under some circumstances afaik, but not really supported because it can get out of hand rather easily: fan fan fan's update
07-02-13, 03:52 PM   #4
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Well, the add-on's license is MIT, and I honestly don't know what that means. It only had one version, 8 months ago, and does not appear to be maintained (I posted there a week ago regarding the changes I wanted to make and got no reply).
Shame, it's a pretty nice add-on, and it could use both my slight modification and the extra publicity :P
07-02-13, 03:59 PM   #5
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
If it's an MIT license then that's alright, basically you're allowed to redistribute as long as you include the license and copyright notice.

Did you check the rest of the rules? Maybe there was a problem there. If there wasn't, then feel free to re-upload it and I'll take a look.
07-02-13, 04:12 PM   #6
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I went through the rules and I can't find any that this add-on was breaking. Maybe someone didn't like that I stuck my standard "Have you seen my other add-ons?" self advertisement at the bottom? Should I have mentioned the license specifically in some way?
I think I'll wait with trying to resubmit it, instead of bothering whoever approves those things with my apparently unlawful behaviour, and see if I can contact the author directly somehow. Thanks for the replies though.
07-02-13, 04:14 PM   #7
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
What was the name of the Title you gave it? Maybe the upload failed?

The only deletions I see in our log for the past few days are a few compilation UI's and some uploads from a user testing things.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Question about uploading add-ons