12-28-10, 06:04 AM   #1
desolation0
A Defias Bandit
Altoholic and Multiboxing

Hey, just got a second account. I tried using the default account sharing mechanic for Altoholic to keep synched between the two accounts I'm running on the same machine using just the one copy of WoW files. I was wondering if there is some way to have the two accounts run off one set of saved variables for Altoholic/Datastore so that I don't have to spend several minutes routing the info from my computer, through the wow servers, back to my computer.

Sorry that this has probably been posted several times, but searching for "Altoholic multiple accounts" and variations just turned up the same results as just searching "Altoholic".
12-28-10, 08:36 AM   #2
shindajin
A Murloc Raider
Hard Link

If yr running mac / linux you could sym link the files. In windows you can do same, as long as you're using ntfs, with link shell extension:

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html

You'd need to link to your main account datastore files from your 2nd account '~/wtf/account/<account_name>/SavedVariables' folder

This way, each account uses same file system entities.

I use this method, works like a charm.
12-28-10, 09:28 AM   #3
Tntdruid
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
im using this one

http://www.nostockui.com/2010/03/mak...rface-sandbox/
12-29-10, 04:41 AM   #4
desolation0
A Defias Bandit
Well, Shin's option worked like a charm for me, so I haven't tried Wall's yet. Thank you much though both of ya. Time to see if there are any other addons that would be as useful synched up for me.
04-11-11, 12:07 AM   #5
Emmaleah
A Murloc Raider
Premium Member
I think I finally found the answer. This is something I have been looking for before. Thanks

We have 4 accts (mom, dad, kids) I would like to be able to reletively easily sync the altoholic data at least on my machine. Ideally I could easily keep all accts upto date on all cptrs. Currently what I do is about once a month I will log on my acct on my cptr, and then another on a diff cptr, on 2nd cptr I will go thru all chars on acct checking mail, bank, gbank, bags and professions. When I have logged into each char on acct 2, i then do the Altoholic acct sharing sync. This is then repeated with acct3 and acct4. This takes like forever -- logging in 30 char, if you are just in for a minute is over an hour with loading time, and some of them are not conveniently located in a town so you have to add flying to a city for bank check. This keeps "my" acct aware of what everyone else has if I log on on "my" cptr. In reallity any of the accts may be logged onto any of the computers.

I experimented with just copying the datastore files to the other cptrs but that doesnt work (it seems) because of the "default" acct name supplied for (in this case) my acct with the others being the name I give them. Then when i log onto a dif acct it's data goes into the same category as my acct rather than updating the char that it should thus having two copies of the char in altoholic (one in the "default" category one in the acct2 catagory.

With all that history, I decided to try this method outlined above.

So, what are the files I want to link?

I assume it would be

wow\wtf\account\acctname?

More Questions?!?
I linked the directories acctname1, 2, 3, 4 (with 1 being the "master" and all the others being linked to it) But when I go into the game it creates a new acctname2 directory rather than using the linked directory?

Help please?

Last edited by Emmaleah : 04-11-11 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add more details/questions after I tried it
06-01-11, 02:10 AM   #6
shindajin
A Murloc Raider
Linking account data

I have 3 accounts with similar issue. I run two accounts on 1 pc - this is when hard links and folder junctions are useful. I link two folders:
  • ~/wow/Interface
  • ~/wow/wtf/Account
CANNOT Link saved variables folders as the last account to log out overwrites the data saved by first account to log. So that's no good. I don't link folders across LAN, although this is possible with NTFS / ext3-4 / not sure about mac (sry :P)

Altoholic data merge is good, but takes forever. It's designed to be used whilst playing I think.

I've toyed with the idea if using git or svn to merge the saved data files. Better than manually merging the files, but could be tricky. I MAY try this and see what it's like.
06-01-11, 08:04 AM   #7
shindajin
A Murloc Raider
File Merge Success

Using git and setting a repo in each folder:
  • ~/wow/wtf/Account/<ACCOUNT_1_NAME>
  • ~/wow/wtf/Account/<ACCOUNT_2_NAME>
  • ~/wow/wtf/Account/<ACCOUNT_3_NAME>
  • etc . . .

Successfully merged files between accounts. Effectively sync data between different accounts to make available in game.

Haven't load tested it yet. Will do so next few days and post a how to if anyone interested.
---------------------
Edit: Worked well for two days, then a procedural error in my manual process led to conflicted files all over the place. Without knowing the encoding data structures I gave up trying to manually fix them all.

In short - This strategy works but is very fragile. bttdb

Last edited by shindajin : 06-03-11 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Update

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Altoholic and Multiboxing