02-04-09, 12:49 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Our UI Manager

Since it keeps coming up lately just wanted to give everyone a heads-up. The existing UI Manager is end-of-life and no longer supported. It will be replaced with a new version soon which is currently in closed Alpha testing.

02-05-09, 02:43 PM   #2
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
woohooo... can't wait to see what you guys have cooking in the kitchen.

02-05-09, 04:14 PM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
As a teaser I can probably let you in on a few secrets:
  • OSGi Interface - The MMOUI Manager now interacts with a framework known as OSGi. This allows ANYONE to write modules for the application so that it can connect to other sites, add in new unpacking utilities (such as if someone wanted to write something to unpack 7zip, for example), etc. The possibilities are endless.
  • Multi-Game Tracking - As a side effect of being able to link any site to the MMOUI Manager, the MMOUI Manager is now capable of tracking and updating multiple games in a single pass.
  • News Features - A panel is added which allows for the display of news information (such as what you are reading now). This interfaces with OSGi so that anyone can link the MMOUI Manager to any site.
  • Automatic Updates - The MMOUI Manager now checks an update script to allow for automatic updating of the core and any supported modules
  • Improved Addon Heuristics - The MMOUI Manager has advanced heuristics now in place which automatically detects the ID of any addon to update. This eliminates the need for users to manually type in the ID of any addon not in their favorites list (which was required previously). It also eliminates the need to log in to access your favorites list.

This is not an all-inclusive list and just was what I can think of right now off the top of my head, but I hope it lets you get an idea of what to expect in the new version.

-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

02-05-09, 05:46 PM   #4
Ravarin
A Kobold Labourer
Wow, very much want. Can't wait.

02-06-09, 11:47 AM   #5
Darxon
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
ooh sound Great

02-08-09, 03:47 PM   #6
Psychoshamoo
A Defias Bandit

04-18-09, 01:47 AM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Probably already said, but I hope there is an option to install library files independently.

For me, that's a game-changer/breaker.

04-18-09, 07:42 AM   #8
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Probably already said, but I hope there is an option to install library files independently.

For me, that's a game-changer/breaker.
Since WoWI will not pull from other sites, it will all depend if the libraries are hosted here and kept updated. I would image that they would also need a means to let author point their addon to libraries that it uses on WoWI.

In the end, I would imagine that you would get the addon as the author had uploaded here to WoWI. If they upload with embeded libraries, you will get them embedded.

But the teaser screenshot looks quite nice It even has one of my addons in the list! Woot! I'm famous!

From what I have seen and read so far, even if WoWMatrix gets up to speed again somehow, once this manager is released, it won't matter. It is on it's way on being a superior addon updater

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

04-18-09, 12:02 PM   #9
Falter
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I would suggest you find a way to separate this revenue stream from the rest of the ZAM premium subscription.

Sorry, but looking at the features of the ZAM membership for $3.33 essentially nets me a fully functioning user to another blog/forum, which I don't need. I got plenty of that for free as it is.

But, if you can offer me reliable or guaranteed add-on delivery from an updated actively-developed multi-platform tool, I'd pay to make it ad-free (though I'd like to evaluate an ad-based version first).

I would suggest something in the neighborhood of $1 to $1.99.

For $1, I would like to think you could cover the cost of a user updating daily. I would hope you would also include an opt-in where users could include an ongoing monthly donation to a general fund for add-on authors. Then I'd like to see the add-on authors be able to help decide how that money is spent (either author rewards or community upgrades).

For $1.99, you better tell me you've got some money being set aside each month for redistribution to the authors as part of the fee to be distributed like how I mentioned.

Features are a moot point to me. 90% or more of the user base just wants a one-button wonder. But the revenue issue has been quite prominent with this issue, so get that part right with this client, please. And try to beat or tie Curse in getting to that point.

That's my $0.02. I'm saving the other $1.97 for the monthly fee when the client comes out.

04-19-09, 06:16 PM   #10
jweick
A Defias Bandit
no mac support? GG a-holes

04-19-09, 06:29 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
umm... no mac support for what? The current updater has a mac version and the new updater will have a mac version, as has been mentioned, like, 3 times already in the last 10 posts.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Our UI Manager