08-28-08, 08:23 AM   #1
jimxan
A Defias Bandit
Question LUA for dummies.

I have no previous programming experience, except the extremely simple scripting language of LSL (Linden Scripting Language) used in second life.
And a small amount of HTLM

However I want to jump into creating addons for wow. What resources are available for me to learn programming from scratch so that I can start creating wow addons. The guides I read are like in a different language, like they are describing everything as if I should already know what all the terms mean and what they are talking about. I need something for dummies. Basic to the core to teach me terminology, basics, all that.
08-28-08, 08:47 AM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The book World of Warcraft programming is awesome. And there's lua tutorials at the lua website, http://lua.org I think.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
08-28-08, 09:15 AM   #3
jimxan
A Defias Bandit
Thank you, but I have checked out these resources, and while they seem great for someone with a background in programming, they are too complex and dependa=ent on me understanding the terminology involved. I need something that can take a person from not even knowing the word program, to writting their own addons.
08-28-08, 09:33 AM   #4
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Start with Addon move to Getting started with writing addons and branch out from there to interesting links.

It helps if you actually "code" through the examples, even the simplest ones.

After getting through those you should have a better understanding of base concepts
and able to take the next step.

Examining existing addons code also helps alot.
For starters pick small / simple (with a very particular goal stated in addon description) addons
to analyze and stay away from addons that use higher level concepts like OO (object oriented programming) modules, plugins, optional components and Load on Demand etc.
Addons that use frameworks (Ace, Cosmos etc) or libraries.

Stick with self-contained addons to begin with.
09-02-08, 10:57 AM   #5
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by jimxan View Post
I have no previous programming experience, except the extremely simple scripting language of LSL (Linden Scripting Language) used in second life.
And a small amount of HTLM
The official LUA documentation is written assuming you are a code-nerd and not brilliantly helpful to beginners IMO

As people have said - your best bet will be to look at some simple addons and work from there.

WOW Addons aren't the simplest things thanks to the mixture of XML, LUA and proprietary Blizzard functions - but they're not as unapproachable as some of the official LUA documentation!!

What I WOULD suggest is that you have some idea of what you'd like to do with your addon BEFORE you start - then find something which does something similar and work out how it does it.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » LUA for dummies.