03-11-14, 10:40 AM   #41
Kreelor
A Firelord

Lightbulb A suggestion regarding Carbonite's 2 map views

A suggestion regarding Carbonite's 2 map views.

From what I have read in the forums, addon authors often modify only the api's for the Blizzard's map(s) and the Carbonite large-view map to display POI icons. Currently, the Carbonite small-view map doesn't get the same info as the other maps, since it uses an api of its own. I hope I'm understanding this correctly.

Question:
Would it be possible to add a new button to Carbonite's large-view map to allow toggling (itself) to a smaller size (of itself)?
  • That way, it would be using only the one api since each of its two sizes would be showing the same POI icons.
  • Hopefully, each of the two sizes could have their sizes and 'zoom scales' set individually, and also be re-positionable on the display?
  • The use of the current Carbonite small-view could be a user-selectable check-box somewhere in Carbonite's "Options" if users prefer to use it (or not use it) instead of the suggested new method.
I just thought this might save a lot of time since only 1 api would have to be written to. If this can't or shouldn't be done, friendly feedback will be appreciated.

03-11-14, 10:48 AM   #42
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The new API calls I released and which addon author's are experimenting with currently, modifies both views of the carbonite map with a single call, not just the one.

03-11-14, 02:43 PM   #43
Kreelor
A Firelord

Rythal, thank you for replying and doing it so quickly! I don't know anything about API calls etc., but what you said sounds very good.

One question: Will the new change be backwards-compatible with existing calls which other addon authors have made already to the current API, or will those authors have to start over and do them again?

03-11-14, 09:47 PM   #44
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Yes, I only added new I didn't change or remove the old, so everything that was working should continue to work.. but those looking to add compatability now have much easier ways to do it which work better.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » [Suggestions] Official Thread