11-10-08, 03:11 PM   #1
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

replacement for damagemeters?

I've been trying to find a replacement for damagemeters. Most of the ones I've found are a bit busy for me. One of the things I liked most about damagemeters was its simplicity not just in form but in ease of use. With it no longer being updated I've been trying to find a replacement that is small and simple but haven't found one as of yet. I am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. philosophy (for those that don't know that stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid). Tho I have a couple of 70s I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie (tho not a total noob) so I prefer to keep my addons simple even if I can't play without them anymore lol. Anyone have any suggestions?
11-10-08, 03:19 PM   #2
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Personally I replaced DM with Violation when TBC launched. Many people use Recount though.

11-10-08, 04:26 PM   #3
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

Can you tell me any more about Violation? There really isn't any info on curse about it. Only posts are unanswered ones regarding bugs.
11-10-08, 04:54 PM   #4
Narune
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Recount is a great meter, and although it might seem a little complex at first it takes a very short time to get used to. Recount puts a tonne of information at your fingertips, and it's definitely worth the few minutes it takes to go over. I don't think things need to be complex to be good, but sometimes the extra effort is well worth it. If you are looking for simple recount allows you to bring up any chart you want just by clicking the arrow button at the top to scroll through them. Doesn't get much easier than that.

11-10-08, 05:01 PM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

As informative and useful as Recount -is-, I'm looking for a much lighter replacement. I have mine set to "Only record Boss fights", and save only the last 5 bosses. Everything with the tooltip that reads "May be a memory hog" is deselected and I have it 'hidden in combat'. It's a lagfest in 25 mans (35 fps without recount, 12-15 with recount). I log 25 mans for wws, so really I've only been 'needing' a meter for 5 and 10 mans... but want to buy less of a memory hog than recount (and be nearly as accurate).

I'm gonna check out Violation and see if it offers what I'm looking for.
11-11-08, 04:41 AM   #6
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Give Violation a shot then. Its much like DM that it displays bars and numeric values, color-coded. Quick and lightweight. tracks Damage Done, DPS, HPS, healing Done, Overhealing, Damage taken, heals, taken, etc. Violation 3.0beta3 is the version I'm running with no problems

11-14-08, 10:09 PM   #7
larkrune
A Murloc Raider
you might also check out YACL over on curse. it's fairly lightweight, and is a pretty good damagemeter as well, also really simple to set up and run w/
11-14-08, 10:42 PM   #8
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Been using/testing Violation against Recount, and I must say it's nearly as accurate in my tests. Pets were where I found the biggest discrepancies, but nothing huge.

I've officially switched, thanks for the info you all gave.
11-14-08, 10:48 PM   #9
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I've never heard of Violation before, and I actually dropped damagemeters because it used too much resources to my liking. So I'm gonna give that one a shot, looks very promising!
12-16-08, 10:18 AM   #10
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

thx for all the suggestions. ended up with recount. love the customizability of it. seems to be working well for me so far.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » replacement for damagemeters?