09-03-07, 04:51 AM   #1
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Camera angle problem

I've looked around and searched the forums; but didn't see anything specific to my problem, so... I've just been playing for a few days and the camera angle will intermittently switch to an overhead view allowing me to see just a few feet in front of me. The first time it happened a GM told me to log out, delete camera.txt, and log back in which fixed the problem. When next it happened I went to look for camera.txt, but the file didn't rewrite itself; so I contacted the GMs and they said to log out; delete the WTF, Cache, and Interface folders; delete any 3rd-party programs (there were none); empty the recycle bin and reboot. Upon re-entering the game the problem persists. =( At this point the GMs told me to contact tech support from which I am awaiting a response, however decided to see if anyone here knew what I could do.

[edit]Figured it out for myself, please disregard.[/edit]

Last edited by Erurainon : 09-03-07 at 06:50 AM.
09-03-07, 07:41 AM   #2
malcite
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I suggest you tell the solution to the problem as it may help others later on. Used to have a camera angle issue myself but i don't think its the same
09-03-07, 09:01 AM   #3
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by malcite
I suggest you tell the solution to the problem as it may help others later on. Used to have a camera angle issue myself but i don't think its the same
Well, I feel like a complete idiot; but my solution was to use the mouse - ie, right click and hold while adjusting the angle. The angle will still change slightly as you move about the world, but you can easily adjust it to however you want with the mouse. The overhead view hasn't come back since; but when it does I'll know what to do.
09-03-07, 12:39 PM   #4
Ev_
An Aku'mai Servant
Do you have camera smart follow turned on in the game's interface settings? The camera shouldn't be straying from your set view if it's on.
09-03-07, 12:59 PM   #5
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Ev_
Do you have camera smart follow turned on in the game's interface settings? The camera shouldn't be straying from your set view if it's on.
Yes. That's the first place I looked and I did a bit of research before contacting the GMs.
09-03-07, 02:13 PM   #6
Ev_
An Aku'mai Servant
I posted this in the official bugs forum a while ago. It never got a reply. Who knows if they even saw it, despite the claim that they "read every single post." It may be somewhat relevant to you, or it might not. Either way it's probably a good thing to put into this thread.

---

Despite my settings saying smart camera follow is on, my camera constantly won't snap back to follow me. It just stays at the view I dragged to. Before anyone says "delete WTF and Interface and restart," that DOES NOT work. I've done that, and the problem persists even with the game's default settings. (No, I haven't reinstalled WoW and tested, but I really don't want to spend all day doing that.)

But I've figured out exactly how this problem arises. I've got hotkeys set for all the camera view keybindings (set view 1-5, save 2-5, reset 2-5). If I save ANY view to anything but its default, I lose the camera smart follow for that view as soon as I move the camera the first time.

Example: (all camera views start at their game default, and smart follow is functioning correctly)
1. I jump to view 4 using the hotkey I set for it.
2. I zoom out a bit to a distance more comfortable.
3. I hit the hotkey to save this view as my new view 4.
4. I run around a bit, smart follow still works (initially).
5. I drag the camera to look to the side.
6. I release my mouse button, the camera does NOT snap back to follow me.
7. I hit the hotkey to jump to view 2.
8. Smart follow works in view 2, even when I drag the camera around.
9. I hit the hotkey to jump back to view 4.
10. Again, smart follow works initially but as soon as I move the camera once, it stops following.
11. I hit the hotkey to reset view 4 back to its default.
12. Smart follow works again for view 4.

It's the same for any view, not just 4.

This is 100% recreatable for me when logging in with freshly created WTF and Interface folders.
Mac OSX 10.4.10, Burning Crusade. This bug has existed for me for months, I just now decided to spend some time to figure out exactly what was causing it.

As long as I leave the game views set to their defaults and don't save any of my own, smart follow works fine. I guess I just have to manually change my views until this gets fixed.
09-03-07, 08:11 PM   #7
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Ev_
I posted this in the official bugs forum a while ago. It never got a reply. Who knows if they even saw it, despite the claim that they "read every single post."

---

Despite my settings saying smart camera follow is on, my camera constantly won't snap back to follow me.
I saw a post regarding camera angles within a thread that was about something else. The poster was not replied to within the thread, albeit the post was small and I don't know how they feel about thread-jacking here.

I've not attempted to bind certain views to hotkeys and as I posted earlier, I'm not sure what sets mine off (I will be looking for it now that I know how to correct it); but I have noticed that it changes when the terrain forces it to change to a different view - such as when I jump to a higher ledge with a few intermediate ones inbetween and I had to look up while doing so. When I finally attain the ledge the camera snaps back to a normal view as it should, but when I return to ground it snaps to an overhead view and remains stuck that way until I switch it with the mouse.

I think I'll bind different views to hotkeys to see if I can recreate it, although I'm on a Vista PC playing regular old WoW; so if I can recreate it I'm not exactly sure how that would help unless the code for the UI is the same for Macs as it is for PCs. It does seem like the problem lies with a bug in smart camera.
09-04-07, 12:42 AM   #8
Draque
A Murloc Raider
I dont know, its just a guess, but maybe its related to a Logitech-USB-Problem, where the mouse cursor jumps to the top of the screen all of a sudden.
I could imagine when this happens ingame, that you see your feet (or the sky).
09-04-07, 04:48 AM   #9
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I have a Logitech cordless G7 which uses an antenna/battery charger via USB and I have that problem with the cursor sometimes jumping; but that's not what's happening here.. at least I don't think so. I'm very familiar with the jumping cursor and have not noticed it happen in-game.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Camera angle problem