09-23-12, 02:14 AM   #1
globalduck1313
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
would someone like to explain to me....

why the heck my post ltitled OA's MIA was deleted completely?.....I thought I was within the rules.

I would like someone to tell me why the F&*K my post was removed?.....for reminding everyone of all the money that Carbonite made when it was a lite version for free and a paid version?....or maybe for pointing out that carbonite was built using other peoples codebases?.......or for reminding everyone that Addons are supposed to be open source?.....or maybe for reminding peeps that even blizz decided to change addon policy because of the paid version?

whatever...i've been a loyal long time user of carbonite and WOWI, but this is ridiculous.....censorship because I made valid points?...I don't believe it was WOWI mods but rather the addon authors themselves who removed it cuz of the truth in my post

Either assign someone (rythal would be a great choice) to maintain this addon or just let it die already.......

but apparently the OA's just don't want people to be reminded that Carbonite borrowed heavily from Cartographer and other quests mods....yeah I said it....in essence they borrowed but did NOT compensate the authors they "borrowed" from...and yet they bitch and are quick to point out its a violation of their copyright..................true story

screw em I could care less if they decide to sue me or whatever.....their violation of copyright would just be laughed at.......once again INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CANNOT BE COPYRIGHTED......only a name...like Carbonite

I respect Rythal for taking the initiative, at least he doesnt give a **** if we donate or not, and yet the OA's are clearly focusing on copyright issues when in fact they should realize that, by assigning someone to maintain this addon officially they will continue to make money.....

some people are just assclowns

09-23-12, 02:43 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Actually I am the one that deleted your post. Not because of what you said but because of how you said it.

From our site rules:

1. Post with respect and courtesy. Debate is fine ... so long as when you disagree with someone, you respond in a civilized and constructive manner.

2. No libel. No defamation of character. Don't come here and slam/flame anyone/thing. Don't come here sounding off that Blizz sucks, EQ sucks, mod_author_01 sucks, etc and so on. None of that. You want to post things like that, take it elsewhere, there are enough other boards that cater to that type of thing. This isn't FlameVault. See 1.
Your initial post, much like this one, was unnecessarily inflammatory.

Also some of your statements are misinformed, at the very least. Unobfuscated does not mean open source. And intellectual property (which code is) most definitely is copyright protected.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-23-12 at 02:57 AM.

09-23-12, 05:52 AM   #3
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

The same thing happened to my post in the rythal "Call for help" thread....

I was not being an ass in my post. In fact I politely asked the dude to re-read the OP and post constructively.

I didn't think WOWI was run by such blatant censorship monkeys...

I also remember globalduck1313's thread and while some of it was a little harsh, the truth almost always is..

09-23-12, 06:03 AM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
JimJoBlue, I deleted one of your posts because it quoted a link to an off-site download, nothing more nothing less.

09-23-12, 07:15 AM   #5
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
JimJoBlue, I deleted one of your posts because it quoted a link to an off-site download, nothing more nothing less.
You could have just edited the quote, removing the links, rather than delete the whole post. I know that it is well within the admin powers you have to do this.

I only included the quote because the post by Dr Sasa was edited to make it look like I was being an ass.

I'm more awake now so I don't care about it any longer, this is a trivial thing to get worked up about compared to the OP. But it kinda makes wonder what else was deleted in this forum that could have been made passable by the admins.

09-23-12, 12:32 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Come up with conspiracy theories all you like, but it does not change the fact that we have always deleted and edited posts to make sure that people here abide by the site rules. Both of you need to follow them, and you don't get to pick and choose which.

Taking the time to edit a link out of a post is just an extra layer of courtesy rather than taking the quicker/easier approach of just deleting the post. We're sorry that you were offended by the deletion of your entire post. But, again, one should expect to have a post deleted if it goes against the site rules. Especially if it links to a download that the copyright holders do not want to be made public.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-23-12, 03:20 PM   #7
globalduck1313
A Murloc Raider
thanx for the reply. In hindsight I may have been misinformed or lacking in knowledge...

Altho I still stand by my opinion that the OA's should just go ahead and name Rythal a contributor. Addon gets fixed, they would look a lot better than they are currently perceived by a majority of the community, and the addon would continue to live on, maybe even generate more good will (donations) towards OA's.

I mean Rythal has said he isn't doing it for the money or fame. But after more reading on this, I will simply say thanx Rythal for the fixes to get me by for know, and I will continue to check back to see if the Official Carbonite gets fixed any time soon. (or to see if Rythal gets permission to work on/fix/maintain this addon)

Thus endeth rant

hmmm maybe start a campaign to get Rythal approved by the Authors?.....if thats something RYthal would want to do, of course :-)

Last edited by globalduck1313 : 09-23-12 at 03:31 PM.

09-23-12, 09:25 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Off-topic posts moved to their own, new, thread ~ Cairenn

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » would someone like to explain to me....