A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Capity UI (Horde themed)

Thoughts?
12-05-13, 09:16 PM   #2
10leej
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think it looks pretty good, though I'm not 100% sold on the player frame. Maybe try something like whoa Unitframes I think it would match a bit better besides the textures which would need a small bit of work..
12-06-13, 01:02 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

I do like the health bar the top of the tooltip. I don't think I've ever seen that done.

I don't like the little block in the bottom left. The micro menu isn't really useful, and the XP/rep bar would be better placed underneath the action bars in the middle.

The button border texture you're using (looks like the one from NeavUI) doesn't really match the other textures. Maybe look into creating your own button border, or try something like the DaedUI Masque skin which has a more "Blizzard" look to it.

The round unit frame portraits and minimap seem out of place with the blocky shapes used elsewhere. If you don't want to create your own unit frame/minimap textures, try making the corners of the action bar block round, instead of flat cutoffs.

What is the floating "36.5%" text over on the right near the bottom?

Either get rid of the chat frame background, or make it more visible. Currently it's not solid enough to offer any increase in readability, but it's just visible enough to be annoying.

Finally, what is the purpose of the 5 big buttons above the action bars? They don't have any keybindings shown, but they appear to be action buttons, which can only lead me to conclude you click on them (shudder)... if that's the case, you should really re-train yourself out of that habit.
12-06-13, 06:35 AM   #4
Rhoads
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
haha those 5 buttons are my main spells and some cooldowns I wanted to have better vision over, something I played around with. I don't click anything haha, it's just that when I scaled that bar, the keybinding number would scale aswell, which looked even more retard friendly than what it is. I have always used custom unit frames since I don't know when, (pitbull etc) But the default frames has grown on me.

the numbers on the right side is from the xpbar, havnt bothered with it since it gives me lua errors. I just wanted to have something temporary to see how it looked. Have yet to find a working, up todate xp bar addon.

In combat pic

Last edited by Rhoads : 12-06-13 at 06:46 AM.
12-06-13, 10:09 AM   #5
Rainrider
A Firelord
I do like your action bars. The texture you have there is really nice looking. The default unit frames seem fine too. What about party and raid though? I dislike your minimap and the micro buttons + exp bar. The horde banner below the minimap has a nice touch to it but it doesn't justify the screen estate it takes. How does it look with capture bars, armor man or passenger vehicle visible (they are normaly docked below the minimap)? Micro buttons just take way too much space for the functionality they provide. They seem rather blocky to me and kind of out of place. I think the exp bar would be better positioned on action bars, between the 5 and the top 12 button row.
12-06-13, 12:59 PM   #6
Rhoads
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Allright, I listend to some of your feedback and this is what I came up with. My only concern with this is that the exp bar is generally something irrelevant during actual combat, and could be too much information floating around in the middle.
12-06-13, 01:58 PM   #7
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Rhoads View Post

Allright, I listend to some of your feedback and this is what I came up with. My only concern with this is that the exp bar is generally something irrelevant during actual combat, and could be too much information floating around in the middle.
Make it only show for 5-10 sec long when you gain xp/repu, slash hover the mouse.
12-06-13, 09:21 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

My only concern with this is that the exp bar is generally something irrelevant during actual combat, and could be too much information floating around in the middle.
The bar doesn't take up any more space than the texture behind it. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd actually make it bigger, taking up the full width between the decorative tusk textures rather than randomly floating in the middle.

Speaking of "bigger", your main action block seems to have gotten bigger to a point bordering on ridiculousness. Maybe scale it back a little bit, especially the larger floating buttons above it. You could probably also cut back the number of buttons shown on the main block. Infrequently used actions should just be keybound, or tucked away in OPie. Having ~30 action buttons always visible seems excessive.
12-06-13, 09:25 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Looking at the size of that image compared to the one in the OP, I'm sure they cropped the screenshot.

Re. the experience bar... I don't think it's too much information at the center of your screen. You could change the color of the xp bar to something that isn't as jarring if you like. Or only show on mouseover.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-06-13, 09:35 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

If you go with a "show on mouseover" tactic make sure the mouseover target area is big enough. It should definitely be bigger than the XP bar. I'd go with using the entire main action block as a mouseover target.
12-09-13, 03:37 AM   #11
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I like it alot.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
12-09-13, 11:10 AM   #12
10leej
A Molten Giant

Best part is there's only really 3 or 4 images to make it horde theme'd so you can adjust it for alliance too, though I doubt anyone would use an alliance version.
12-09-13, 06:33 PM   #13
Rhoads
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
This is what im working on currently

Not sure about the skulls. Any idéas regarding the artwork is appreciated!
12-10-13, 06:25 PM   #14
Rhoads
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Decided to go this route. Got rid of the skulls and changed the minimap/flag

Last edited by Rhoads : 12-10-13 at 06:27 PM.
12-11-13, 03:45 AM   #15
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Good choice.

Not sure about the 5 big buttons. Imo that should be 6. Not sure if I would care about a fixed actionbutton background on the top row anyway. I think just putting some stuff in the background (chains) may be enough so people can overlay it with any bar they want.

Another more important part. Is your texture a sprite? Means does it contain all parts you are using in the interface? This could come in very handy when re-theming the textures. You would only need to swap one file and everything is changed. Working with sprites is not that hard. All you need is to add specific SetTexCoord() coordinates for each texture. Afaik you can work with 1024x1024 texture files atm. That should be enough space for everything. I think even 2048x2048 is possible.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 12-11-13 at 03:53 AM.
12-11-13, 04:39 AM   #16
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by zork View Post
Not sure about the 5 big buttons. Imo that should be 6.
Good point. I would also go with 6, because that's how many number keys are on the left side of my split keyboard, and those are the keys I use for my main actions; I have 6 in my setup... in fact, discounting the pet bar, I only have 6 action buttons at all in my UI!

But I guess it really depends on what you're binding them to. If you're binding them to mouse buttons or F-keys, then 5 does make more sense, at least for my mouse and keyboard.
12-16-13, 01:18 PM   #17
Rhoads
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Allright, this is what's going on. "improved?" unitframes, will increase the number of bars from 5 to 6. Anymore suggestions?
12-16-13, 03:16 PM   #18
10leej
A Molten Giant

Allright, this is what's going on. "improved?" unitframes, will increase the number of bars from 5 to 6. Anymore suggestions?

I would see about making the nameplate texture match the unit frames health and power texture.

Also I wanna see an alliance version too but that's because I feel it should be faction specific.

Overall I really like it as it is.
12-16-13, 05:34 PM   #19
Phanx
Cat.

Looking pretty good. The cast bar feels "off" though... I'd try to reduce the number of different border textures you have, so I'd change the cast bar to look the same as the unit frames with the thinner border. Also, having chat text right up against the edge of the screen is a bit awkward. It'd be easier to read with a little breathing room.
12-17-13, 11:02 AM   #20
Rhoads
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I feel like I'm mostly done. I've got some lua problem before I can upload this, that I will try to fix.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Capity UI (Horde themed)