08-26-07, 03:21 PM   #1
Bryce
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
What's the diff. between a RP server and PVE servers...

I was thinking about rolling on a RP server, but do people even level there, or just sit in a town talking?
08-26-07, 03:29 PM   #2
Polarina
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Bryce
I was thinking about rolling on a RP server, but do people even level there, or just sit in a town talking?
Of course they level there. But when they are bored or want to have some fun - they sit down in Goldshire violating every RP rule there is.
08-26-07, 03:33 PM   #3
Bryce
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I thought the RP server was only for sitting and talking about a storyline.
08-26-07, 03:33 PM   #4
Harladar
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
People LVL, I have a few higher LVLs on them, poeple just LVL and talk int heri spare time when they dont feel like grinding. For example, I have a LVL 70 Draenei Priest on Thorium Brotherhood named Mahlus. As a LVL 70, I can do dungeons and stuff, but if I dont want to deal with the drama of crappy groups, I just goto SW and chill out, either there of goldshire
08-26-07, 03:36 PM   #5
Bryce
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
are there strict rules like you have to say things your character would say, etc. or is it just a server with more mature people on it that just chat about anything?
08-26-07, 03:38 PM   #6
Polarina
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Bryce
I thought the RP server was only for sitting and talking about a storyline.
You are completely wrong.
08-26-07, 08:02 PM   #7
Bryce
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
are there strict rules like you have to say things your character would say, etc. or is it just a server with more mature people on it that just chat about anything?
08-26-07, 08:26 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Did you just copy/paste your above post?

There are RP "rules" - some servers and players are more strict about it than others.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-28-07, 09:03 AM   #9
Persen
A Fallenroot Satyr
Basically, you are supposed to talk as your character, act as your character, etc.
Not as a player behind a character.
08-28-07, 10:10 AM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Just one click from the official WoW frontpage was this handy link:

Realm Types

The summary from that page regarding RP servers

Originally Posted by WorldofWarcraft.com
Summary: If you choose to play on a Role-Playing realm, you should act and speak as your character would in the World of Warcraft setting.
A more in depth RP policy can be found here:

Blizzard Role Playing Policy

Basically if you play on an RP server you speak and act as your character does, especially in /s. Essentially you are your character. If you wish to speak out of character (OOC) you designate that. Some guilds are hardcore RP, which means you speak in character while you in guild chat, other guilds are more relaxed. RP servers also have a stricter name policy for both characters and guilds. Basically if you use anything that does not fit the Warcraft universe (this subject to interpretation by both GMs and players) you will be forced to change your name.

RP servers can be a lot of fun as generally there are organized activities that add spice to the game, however you level, instance and do the other basic WoW related activities the same as you a normal or PvP server. Just you can tell your own story as you level, gank Gnomes, etc.

Last edited by Zyonin : 08-28-07 at 10:13 AM.
08-28-07, 10:29 AM   #11
Tyrolit
A Black Drake

I've character on both RP and PVE

Give RP a go, at 1st in the starting areas I doubt you'll see much role playing untill you get to the nearest main city.

For a start, don't use any leet speek, no lol, rofl etc no smilys , ^^ etc if you need to express an emotion use emotes, eg /lol , /smile

you dont need to roleplay at 1st, see what others are doing, ask nicely if you can join in.

So long as your polite, don't leet speek, and respect others right to roleplay you'll get along fin e and hopefully enjoy it. It can be great fun, running a bar selling drinks to others, organising partys, running a shop selling your trade and many more.

Give it a try, i hope you enjoy it.
08-28-07, 11:50 AM   #12
robthedude
Don't Panic

I play on an RP realm, thanks to a friend saying they've generally got less idiots...
Wish I'd never, unless you're actually into roleplaying they're no fun, you've got to choose your characters name carefully or suffer the wrath of the Blizzard [Account Suspender of RP Wrath], ditto with guild names...

So, unless you're willing to stick to the rules all the time, I'd say go for a PvP realm

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » What's the diff. between a RP server and PVE servers...