11-25-13, 04:13 PM   #1
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Relationship between Camera and Flying Pitch

Has anyone discovered the relationship between Camera and Flying (Swimming) pitch?

When I summon a flying mount and lift off, I'm usually not flying level. I'm usually pitched down and the amount of down pitch seems to vary on each toon but more often than not, seems to be the same each time on a single toon. If I level myself (bumping into the ground usually), I'll stay that way for a while but without knowingly changing the camera pitch, I'll talk to an NPC, fight a mob, gather a crafting node, etc. and the pitch will again be a down value when I next take off.

What I'd really like is for Blizzard to add an API function that would set the flying/swimming pitch to zero or they could set it to zero instead of this unknown value probably derived from camera pitch.

With your help, I'm hoping to find this unknown value and set it to zero myself.
11-25-13, 08:04 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...velFlight.html
11-26-13, 10:52 AM   #3
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
LevelFlight allows you to fly perfectly level with a key press. It does this by taking advantage of the fact that you can set your pitch limit (how much you can angle up or down) to zero, meaning you can move in a perfectly straight line while flying or swimming.

KNOWN LIMITATION: When your pitch limit is set to zero you are unable to look up or down. You can only move your camera horizontally around your character. Turning off level flight restores full range of motion to the camera.
This addon reinforces the fact that there is an incestuous relationship between camera pitch and flying/swimming pitch. I like my camera view to be behind and above my toon and this addon just shifts adjusting my flying/swimming pitch to level vs. adjusting my camera pitch back to where I want it.

The "best solution" I have found is take off, land, take off again. This sets flying pitch to zero while leaving the camera pitch alone. Unfortunately, this doesn't work while swimming (or flying over water).

I'm trying to get more insight into why the flying pitch gets changed without changing the camera view. For example, I fly to an NPC and land in front of them (landing should set my flying pitch to zero). Now I can select the NPC with a keybind, interact with the NPC with keybinds, and when I take off, I am no longer flying level (there may be a dismount and mount around the NPC interaction).

I'm using FlightHUD to give me visual indication of level flight (or swimming).
11-26-13, 06:55 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by bsmorgan View Post
The "best solution" I have found is take off, land, take off again. This sets flying pitch to zero while leaving the camera pitch alone.
Hit the keybind to level your pitch, hit it again to unlock your pitch (without changing it) then adjust the camera to where you want using only the left button, or assign a keybind to your desired camera position in the default keybindings UI.

Originally Posted by bsmorgan View Post
I'm trying to get more insight into why the flying pitch gets changed without changing the camera view.
I'm really not sure there's any special insight to be found here. That's just how it works. You move in the direction you are looking. Landing on the ground changes the direction you are looking a little bit, even if it's imperceptible to you on the 2D plane while you're standing still.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Relationship between Camera and Flying Pitch