08-30-09, 02:53 AM   #1
Seer
A Molten Giant
Breaking up nUI

Just a thought..

One of the great things of nui (or maybe better said spiel's dedication) is that there are several infopanels and some fixes for other mods "build in" the standard distribution.

Unlike the separate modules tho, you can't turn those on and off in the add-on selection (guess they all ready are turned off if unneeded)

But, some people may not like Recount or Skada being in the infopanel and want to set it up differently. Instead of being able to turn off the who plugin you need to edit lua files.

Granted, not hard to do most of the times but still.

So, what I am suggesting break the current nUI package and make skada, recount, omen, etc in to pugins like the minimap one, maybe do put them in the default download for easy installation.

I would also suggest, if possible, to make bug fixes for other add ons a plug in and not integrated in the main code base. This may not always be possible, and if the bug is nui's "fault" then off course it should be in the the main code. When the bug fix is unneeded the plug in can be disabled (tho a user may never know that the other add on has the bug fixed and never turns the plug in off) To be honest, I've never been a fan that the "faults" should be fixed by those who didn't create them. I understand why Spiel does tho, in a perfect world it shouldn't be needed and all programmers would work together if their add ons have a "conflict" (like recently with I think Titan bar where the maintainer was keeping us up to date right here in the nui forums working with Spiel for a solution)

Guess it would make certain things more difficult for both Spiel and the user tho it should make certain things easier.

Or maybe it's possible to put the plugins in the nui directory and have a gui ingame where you can turn them on and off and let them be load on demand, not sure if that is possible tho.

As said, just a thought.

08-30-09, 04:47 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
From recent posts I can see the usefulness of resetting omen/recount and skada etc as simply plugin addons and not a part of nUI. Basically for those that do not want them in an infopanel as the aforementioned recent post requested.

Perhaps as has been suggested they can be a part of nUI but not a part of the code base but optional addons packaged with nUI that do not need to be activated unless required.

EG.
nUI
nUI_Omen
nUI_Skada
nUI_Recount
etc

or as was also suggested
nUI\
nUI\Omen\
nUI\Skada\
nUI\Recount\
etc

Although I am not sure how the second suggestion will work as the toc for each plugin will need to be in its own folder off the addons folder to be able to be turned off through the addons screen. However, you should be able to turn them off within nUI by disabling the plugin and thus remove it from the infopanel system.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

08-30-09, 07:54 AM   #3
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Odds are that you're actually going to see me go in the other direction with this where many of the optional plugins I created for nUI will be included with the distribution. The reason for this, quite frankly, is the newbs who have a hard time finding the download options, etc.

I expect to embed the plugins into nUI and add a function in nUI that will allow the user to enable and disable them on the fly in game. This would also apply to third party plugins the user download.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-31-09, 06:11 AM   #4
Seer
A Molten Giant
Bah, party pooper..

I expect to embed the plugins into nUI and add a function in nUI that will allow the user to enable and disable them on the fly in game. This would also apply to third party plugins the user download.
Kinda what I did had in mind, that there's a more distinct way to determine what is base and what is optional which is a bit difficult to do with the current version.

Ah well.. Waiting for the first alpha to come, I'm sure it's beta quality like as usual.

08-31-09, 04:26 PM   #5
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Really the only plug-ins that you would have to edit code to turn off are the ones that deal with things built into the default UI, like the battlemap or combat log any others if you don't load the add on you don't get an info panel button for it. The only exception to this that I can see is the guy that had a dual monitor and wanted to use omen and recount outside of the info panel which should be pretty rare I would think do to screen real estate

08-31-09, 04:38 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
Really the only plug-ins that you would have to edit code to turn off are the ones that deal with things built into the default UI, like the battlemap or combat log any others if you don't load the add on you don't get an info panel button for it. The only exception to this that I can see is the guy that had a dual monitor and wanted to use omen and recount outside of the info panel which should be pretty rare I would think do to screen real estate
And in some cases you can drag out the frame from the panel if you want it elsewhere. I do that regularly with healbot as in a 25 man the info panel frame is too small to comfortably hold that many buttons without making them too small to see who you are healing

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

05-05-10, 06:02 AM   #7
schmitty
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Odds are that you're actually going to see me go in the other direction with this where many of the optional plugins I created for nUI will be included with the distribution. The reason for this, quite frankly, is the newbs who have a hard time finding the download options, etc.

I was actually going to post a seperate request for this, but I don't have to now. That would be a good idea as I have recount in the InfoPanel but would like to have Omen detached, as I find the DualStats InfoPanel to be too condensed.

Perhaps in the Config GUI in nUI+6 you could have a section for the plugins (like in Broker2Fubar) to enable/disable integration of external mods in nUI.

With the other idea in regards to enabling plugins to use the ChatPanel, it might be a good idea to have it behave like the InfoPanel and have a button to cycle between plugins. Furthermore, it could be enhanced to offer configuration by the user so we can choose to have for example Omen in InfoPanel1 and Recount in InfoPanel2 or vice versa automatically display in a raid/dungeon and switch back to General Chat in InfoPanel1 and whatever in InfoPanel2 when outside Raid/Dungeon.

05-05-10, 06:31 AM   #8
spiel2001
nUI's Author

That's pretty much the game plan. nUI6 is working to make everything accessible and modifiable via a GUI configuration tool of one sort or another depending on what element we're talking about.

With respect to the info panels, the chat frame will be made into an info panel in its own right and the layout tool will permit any number of info panels, each with its own button to change panel modes. The default layout would have two panels... one on the left, one on the right, as the current layout does.

An info panel GUI config will list of of the info panel plugins that are installed and allow the player to select (in game) which info panel the plugin is active in (i.e. left or right) or if it is enabled at all.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

05-06-10, 12:55 AM   #9
schmitty
A Cliff Giant

How long before we can expect to see the release of nUI6 Scott?

05-06-10, 01:50 AM   #10
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

How long before we can expect to see the release of nUI6 Scott?
Soon

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

05-06-10, 01:59 AM   #11
schmitty
A Cliff Giant

Haha, that's a good one

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Breaking up nUI