08-27-12, 07:49 AM   #41
EMH
A Kobold Labourer
Thumbs up Good work

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
lol... thanks, but I can appreciate why they have no wish to update it if they aren't... it seems like anytime headway is made, something else crops up pushing it back again... I was working fine adding zones then came to the panda starting zone (wandering isle) and realized... it's not on the map anywhere, nor is it included in the panda files, so now I get to do all the searching I just did for main panda zones again to track down where wandering isle is

tomorrow will be just patching old world so it works correctly once 5.0 comes live on tuesday, still a month to do the rest ... thankfully that's just figuring out the new filenames for some areas like wintergrasp so they aren't green blobs on the map, removing start areas from the current overlays and making them there own since blizz has made all start area's their own "zone" in the same location... no idea why they did that, probably something with the phasing stuff
Rythal

All your work is appreciated and looks exciting. Any news on when you might make this available? Based on what you have now, even the 'unfinished' version might be preferable to none

08-27-12, 10:39 AM   #42
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
This mornings update on work done:

Green textures fixed except in one spot in the ocean beside twilight highlands, it only appears randomly and I can't for the life of me figure out which texture is suppose to be there but not showing since I went down a list of all twilight highlands files, and the internal array and everything matches up.

Got first of the 10 starter area's added (new tinkertown), started work on the next 4 for eastern kingdoms... hoping tonight to get all 9 finished so the addon is live ready.

Commented out the quest database internally, There is just to many problems with it cropping up... it doesn't know any panda quests which is what 99% of us will be tracking anyways, and starter areas have all been redone for every race so people trying to roll a new gnome monk for example, will be told to go the wrong locations with the tracking (noticed this when testing new tinkertown with a gnome monk). Commenting them out means I can restore it at any time, but with it gone it gets all the information from blizzard instead.

Changed the "request quests from server" to use the new method, blizz no longer sends what quests you've completed on command, it's already entirely client side as soon as you login.. so while it still asks if it should get them, it never sends the command just updates itself from what the client knows.

Wandering isle is working.... that was a tricky bugger since it's not known by the game unless your on it.. it does not show up in any continent or zone lists... it's entire id is continent -1, area 0, zone 808... so i'm treating it like a battleground for map placement / viewing and that seems to work.

As for all the questions I keep getting asked about where i'm going to host it.. I will probably host it on my own website to start. I want to host it here at the addon sites, but I need to find out more information about what I can and can't do because of the disclaimer / terms of use / copyright... most other addons will allow a fan update / new addon release based on updated old code, but they also don't include any sort of disclaimers against it. Personally I'd love the devs to come forward and officially declare it abandoned so I can start my own project based on it with separate bug forums / requests of what people want added back from the base (like points of interest for pandaira, resource nodes, or built in gathermate support etc)

Edit: Just realized how that last part sounded... I don't want them to declare it abandoned for my sake, I'd love for them to come forward and say YES an updated version is coming! and give us all hope towards it...but if they have no intentions of doing so i'd also like them to say so, to legalize the fan versions... even if they were to say Fan updates are OK until we have a chance to do our own.... just something so were not left in the dark.

Last edited by Rythal : 08-27-12 at 10:51 AM.

08-27-12, 11:48 AM   #43
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
was just looking over the forums, reading old posts from around when cata launched... and it actually looks like it went the same way last time... no one heard from or saw any word about the addon and it's compatability, then once the pre-patch went live and the addon was broken, a head popped up saying they were working on it.

Can we hope for a repeat? :P

08-27-12, 01:58 PM   #44
Reddsonja
A Fallenroot Satyr
Awesome Job!

Great job on getting it squared away. And yes I agree, if they indeed want to abandon the project and let you take over I'd be all about that and I'd definitely donate. I think after what happened when Cata went live has left a lot of people wondering if the same will happen this time and thus not donating which is bad for the devs.

To the developers: This is probably the most useful and my personal favorite addon for the game. It's the first one I look for updates for (and am usually disappointed). If you guys want to ride off into the sunset and leave this poject to someone, Rythal has demonstrated that he both enjoys and wants to keep it updated.

Anyway, please keep us updated Rythal as to when and where this can be obtained. I can't play the game without mah Carbonite!

08-27-12, 05:53 PM   #45
nesukun
A Kobold Labourer
Rythal, I'd love to collaborate with you to keep this up to date, do you have plans on mantaining this on github or something like that? carb surely needs a full revamp as it has aged pretty badly. I'd love to redo the settings panel entirely from scratch using the standard addon settings panels for example.

08-28-12, 01:44 AM   #46
jovenyoung
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Smile

I have donated to Carbonite in the past and am willing to donate again as well, be it to a fan update or the regular authors. My wife and I have loved Carbonite since it first came out and we have been playing since vanilla and know most of the quests by heart anyway...

08-28-12, 07:24 AM   #47
Reddsonja
A Fallenroot Satyr
Just remember to leave in the "punks" tracker system! I love how it picks up enemy rogues before you can even see them! And it pretty accurately detects within a few yards where enemies are hiding as well.

08-28-12, 08:30 AM   #48
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
This mornings update!

Spent to much time last night on it, had to run out the door this morning for work before I could do any sort of packaging, but it should be live ready (can't say for 100% until it's actually tested against live lol)

All the new starting area's are done and tested along with testing quest tracking in and outside the zone .. getting a quest in northshire, then running to goldshire which on the new system is two totally different maps, still shows the quest objective in approximate world location.. until you zone into northshire and the map shifts then it updates itself to real location

Satellite zoom google map is added for pandaria and partially working, its gonna be painful fun since I'm still learning how it's all put together and I did things backwards, starting with blizzard continent map, then zone overlays scaled to fit, then overhead satellite map ... which means the scaling is all wrong between the two maps and the satellite map.. you can zoom in on it, and what your looking at will be a tiny bit to the south, or east from where you expected it to be.

Gonna take time to redo it starting with the satellite map, then scale and lineup continent map, then scale and lineup overlays... but it's just fiddling with numbers, and a month to get them down

The only major things still missing that I can see, are battlegrounds and instance maps for the pandarian zones.

As always I'm hopeful we will have word from the devs today saying a real update is coming making all this null and void.

----
Reddsonja: not to worry, nothing has been removed

08-28-12, 08:57 AM   #49
coranada
A Kobold Labourer
My hero!

Rythal, I just wanted to post and tell you that you are my HERO! I've been pre-mourning carbonite for weeks, expecting MoP and today's 5.0.4 patch to be the final death of it. The possibility of a fan update that keeps me able to access the map I am so addicted to is an absolute joy.

I am one of many, many people who appreciate your efforts in the extreme!

I also hope the original devs will post their intentions to either continue themselves or just go ahead and greenlight fan updates.

Thank you again for your work and for keeping the community in the loop on your progress and intentions, Rythal!

08-28-12, 11:52 AM   #50
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Based on the work being done to update the mapping system to include the Pandaria data, I was wondering what effort would be involved at removing the mapping system to make it its own addon. I have seen that a lot of people really only use Carbonite for its mapping system, and if so, there may be great interest in having a lone mapping addon. Of course there are rights, etc. to deal with, but I was wondering about the technical challenges to the project first.

08-28-12, 12:08 PM   #51
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
that's a good question... and probably why the code was unreadable... because really once you know how it all works, it would really not be that difficult to restart the whole thing from scratch, 99% of it is just numbers and lining up 3 maps overlayed on top of each other. A lot of addons already have the "fog of war removal" which is the top layer, second layer is just default continents, and third layer is the satelite view built from the same images the minimap uses, so anyone could redo it.

I'm actually more surprised that in all this time, no one besides carbonite & cartographer has done it, since once you figure it out it's not very difficult.

The downside to it, and the reason why both probably fell to the wayside... they are a lot of work to maintain... unless they have a better way of doing it (would imagine so) it's a lot of datamining into the mpq files to find the information / numbers / settings etc to keep the maps displaying properly anytime something changes.. and even then it's not flawless, like my twilight highlands green square which is kinda really pissing me off since I can't figure it out... i've even now one by one removed every tile from the zone and it still remains. (green tiles are a new thing with MoP... before settexture would return null if the file didn't exist, now it works reguardless and displays a lime green box if it was invalid).

Last edited by Rythal : 08-28-12 at 12:29 PM.

08-28-12, 12:27 PM   #52
Reddsonja
A Fallenroot Satyr
So where will this update be made available for download? And thanks again for your hard work on this, it is much appreciated!

08-28-12, 12:47 PM   #53
reddrumjay
A Black Drake
Thanks for your efforts Rythal!

Hopefully the devs will turn it over to you so we can have regular updates.

08-28-12, 01:06 PM   #54
Shaloom
A Murloc Raider

good news

i hope they turn this over to you or have your help with it, sems like your most of the way there

08-28-12, 02:29 PM   #55
Dethedrus
A Defias Bandit
Sorry to just add to the signal to noise ratio here, but *THANK YOU* Rythal!

I've come to depend on a number of features of Carbonite and love that you're taking the time to get this beast up and running for Mists!

Here's hoping that the dev team, if they even decide to keep the project going, look at having you come on board. Or take over

08-28-12, 03:25 PM   #56
Shaloom
A Murloc Raider

Thumbs up Mop Forward

Id just like to say a massive thanks Rythal for the work your putting in, addon code is 1 thing i cannot get my bloody head around, would drive me mad.

I think i speak for all of us when i say i truely hope the developers make it know if they plan to carry on, an if not pass you permission to develop this addon.

If does come down to you takeing this over im sure you will find no lack of support to setting a siteup to host the add-on with form etc, hell i would even buy the domain and pay for the hosting for you given how simple it is to do these days.

With regard to addon functions, the days of addons that provides quest data is done with, the better option is just to tie-in with blizzards own quest helper, as long as the map shows the area were the quests items are etc, i think we can cope zooming out and finding this ourselfs i personaly can do without the little minimap arrows.

the main love for us all is the googlemaps, if we could have this with the other rubbish with node tracking etc removed (hell whats why we have gatherer) i think we would all support this.

PLEASE IF I COULD ASK 1 THING OF YOU CARBONITE DEVELOPERS, POST A MESSAGE GIVEING PERMISSION FOR THE COMMUNITY TO TAKE THIS ADDON OVER, IN SIMPLE TERMS IF YOU DONT WANT TO UPDATE THIS NONE IS GOING TO CONTINUE TO MAKE DONATIONS FOR A BROKEN ADDON.

YOU HAVE HAD A GOOD RUN AND BEEN SUPPORTED BY THE COMMUNITY, IF YOU TRUELY DO NOT WISH TO CONTINUE WITH THIS ADDON THE RIGHT THING TO DO IS TO GIVE SOMETHING BACK TO THE COMMUNITY, IN SIMPLE TERMS GIVE US THE ADDON SO WE CAN CONTINUE YOU WORK.

08-28-12, 04:13 PM   #57
Deilian
A Defias Bandit

The two things I really use from Carbonite are the quest tracking (which I think is a bit better than blizzard's built-in solution) and the google-maps-style overworld map that lets you zoom in and out with the mouse wheel. I guess I could just learn to make do with blizzard's quest tracking, but I would really miss carbonite's map if a replacement isn't available.

Honestly, just having a lightweight addon that provides a carbonite-style map would be fantastic, most of the other features can be provided by other addons that already exist.

08-28-12, 04:27 PM   #58
Catitude
A Theradrim Guardian

Carbonite is MY #1 addon

Originally Posted by coranada View Post
Rythal, I just wanted to post and tell you that you are my HERO! I've been pre-mourning carbonite for weeks, expecting MoP and today's 5.0.4 patch to be the final death of it. The possibility of a fan update that keeps me able to access the map I am so addicted to is an absolute joy.

I am one of many, many people who appreciate your efforts in the extreme!

I also hope the original devs will post their intentions to either continue themselves or just go ahead and greenlight fan updates.

Thank you again for your work and for keeping the community in the loop on your progress and intentions, Rythal!
To see a light at the end of the 'WoW without Carbonite' tunnel is truely a blessing!
I do understand just how much RL can cut into Game time & even more so for the HEROs who create & maintain our beloved addons. I also know how easy it is for the reverse to occur, where we spend more time and energy on our virtual lives than our real ones. It is tough to find and maintain a balance.

I have talked with many Carbonite users on several servers... even while taking a brief break waiting for a BG to commence, or halfway thru a random Dungeon lol
I've even talked new users thru the setup either in Skype or Vent or in-game Mail
A full third of the members of the two 25th lvl guilds I'm in use it, and are anxiously awaiting the MoP update.
For most of us it is ALL ABOUT THE MAP!!!!!
We could muddle thru with out the remainder but the map is a thing of beauty & with the accuracy of objective tracking it is better than medium... umm errr... nm

Thank you so much for all of your efforts

08-28-12, 05:28 PM   #59
Tempista
A Murloc Raider
If you need a tester, I'm willing to break my game over and over again just to get yours just right.

I have no idea on coding though, but I can write up good reports

Edit to say, have you tried sending the devs a PM to see if they are working on one? Thought I read that you said they have been online within the last week or so.

Last edited by Tempista : 08-28-12 at 05:36 PM.

08-28-12, 06:23 PM   #60
TULOA
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I am also waiting for this...

If you have a place I would be willing to help chip in if possible and I will gladly donate what I can when its up if or not I help lol.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Will Carbonite be updated for MOP?