08-16-09, 07:34 PM   #1
Brie
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite is opening Chat Channel box

Today three of us from the same guild who use carbonite, had chat channels open automatically and ask us for passwords. We closed down all addons leaving only Carbonite open and tried again with the same result. Is this a bug? I don't know but it is annoying.

08-16-09, 08:40 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Carbonite does use standard chat channels that it creates, 2 by default I believe. If the channels started with CBxxxxxx They are most likely from Carbonite. They are never password protected by the addon though.

What you are describing means some other user/person, who also happened to be the channel Admin at the time, decided to set a password to the channel to be an jerk.

08-16-09, 11:55 PM   #3
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Yes, Carbonite uses two channels. One is named Crb, if I'm not mistaken, and if I remember it right it's for comparing your version number with that of others, to alert you if a new version is available.

The other is named Crb******, as Vis said, where ****** is a generated number combination. This channel is used for zone monitoring - it shows the location of other Carbonite users, any punks they've detected, and so on.

Of course, there may be more than one Crb****** channel in your chat. This is usually when you've selected to monitor another zone, it's then acting as if you're in the zone and shows you Carb users and punks there. Occasionally several channels are also created when Carbonite fails to connect to a default channel for a zone, and creates another one, and then maybe one more, and after that manages to connect to all of them. It happens to me occasionally during flights, when my latency is high.

But that's beside the point, I guess.

Yes, there are some hineypits who decide to password protect channels that addons uses. This is a passing problem, so unless the person remains logged in and in the particular zone all the time, everything will be fine and dandy in a few hours tops.

08-17-09, 11:35 AM   #4
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Blizzard failed to give addons a way to see if a channel has a password on it. If they did I would simply check it first and skip to the next channel name. I could look to see if a password message box is open and assume it is for a channel I am trying to join and close the box, which you may have already seen anyway and try the next channel. Can we say "hack job"? I'll pass.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite is opening Chat Channel box