06-19-08, 12:52 PM   #1
Hhoky
A Fallenroot Satyr

Talking Request for A new Bar Mod *begs*

So, I have been looking around for a Bar mod comparable to the one I want.
The idea started when I fell in love with my priest after leveling my hunter to 70.
I sometimes need to down rank my healing (as I am sure many a priest has to do from time to time) and in doing so, got sick of trying to figure out how my bars should be arranged for this.
I remember once seeing a Bar mod (possibly based on Serenity) for rogues, with a center circle for poisons and all the poisons around it that could be put on, right click = right hand weapon, left click = left hand weapon. I also saw one recently that is great for Shammies, it has a center circle for each type of totem,Fire, Earth Etc, with surrounding circles for the totems that fit under that class. (sorry I cant remember the name atm)
I played around with Bongos for a while,I dabbled in Lunar and Trinity, but went back to the Blizz default because I couldn't find one to give me what I wanted most.

Anyway, heres the idea (this bar mod should also be able to fit just about any class)

~Bars that are circle based. Center circle should hold highest rank of specific spell (drag and drop placement), surrounded by smaller circles with the lower ranks of the spell in ascending order.
~Numerous main Circles can be created.
~With all circles being able to be Drag and Drop action/food/spell placed.

~Here is one thing I would love, since I use the Default bar mostly, I love that Shift number takes you to another bar, I would like the circles to be able to be Shift Number Set.
Example: (since I don't think I am explaining this well) First Circle is Flash Heal, surrounded by all the ranks of Flash currently known, Call this Action Bar 1. Second Circle is Heal, as previous surrounded by lesser ranks, However this becomes Action Bar 2, so to access it I would hit Shift 2, then the number for the spell (1 current highest rank, 0 for lowest rank or whatever). And this would keep going to Action bar highest level allowed I suppose.
~However, I would like some sort of Highlighting, or Aura, around the currently selected Action bar....yea Ive been guilty of forgetting to go back to Bar 1 and getting mad because my spell wont go off >.<

~Key bindings should be available. Would be very helpful if they could somehow default to Blizz default key binding, to make it more user friendly.
~Empty bar slots should fade like the default ones do unless dragging a new spell/macro.
~I would like the Blizzard controls, such as character, spell book, options etc to be created in their own circle, with character in the center, however I know many people don't use them, so an option to remove this bar would be good. (Like Bongos does)
~Same as above with the bag bar.
There are many plug in addons out there for little things like coloring when spells are ready, or showing cool down timers so these are options that don't necessarily need to be put into the Bar mod like was implemented in Bongos3.
~And possibly an option for a few straight bars, not circle based in case someone would need them, for a cleaner look or to save screen real estate.
*~ Bars should be able to be Click/Dragged around screen for placement untill Locked. (similar to Bongos, Trinity)
*~ Also controls for scaling the Bar sizes.
*~ Perhaps controls for the Transparancy (or auto fading slightly unless active or mouseover, but not necessary)
*~ Minimap control button or similar for ease of accessing and modifying layout/buttons.(as opposed to /commands)
~Oh and I suppose making it easy for skinning would be nice, as there are many beautiful button options out there, and some very clever and highly artistic people that would enjoy creating skins for this Bar Mod. I wish I could think of a way to keep the griffins, or other similar art work, but I just cant seem to figure how it would work in this kind of Bar Mod, even if I do like them .
Hmm I believe thats it. Oh sure give me a few hours and another Dr Pepper and I could probably come up with some more ideas, but it would lean to personalization. As this stands I believe it would work for any class, and be extremely user friendly.
(at least it does in my mind....and I like it in here, its cozy...dont make me leave!!)

I hope some genius out there would like to think about this, and perhaps answer my prayer (of [Mental Mending]?) I would forever be grateful. And who knows...maybe many others would too, then you could be come famous. It could happen.

P.S. If this Bar mod exists already and somehow I missed it in all my hours of searching...slap me with a tuna fish and send me in the right direction please. Thanks!

**Ok ok done now, I think, Oh, wait what about....NO... I have to walk away now, thanks again!**

Last edited by Hhoky : 06-19-08 at 01:03 PM. Reason: *Forgot something* /facepalm
06-19-08, 01:07 PM   #2
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This sounds like a really good idea! Makes me wish I knew LUA just so I could make it. Please one of you addon gods (or goddesses) make this real!
06-19-08, 01:12 PM   #3
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I don't know how much you've played with the other bar mods out there, but I have used them all and am currently in love with Trinity 2.0. It takes some setting up to get it just the way you want, but it will do almost everything you want it to.

There are several different layouts available (including circular with one button in the middle surrounded by others). To get it with the one big button in the middle you just have to edit that one button. It has "paging" to switch between the same bar, but with different spells in the slots. You would just have to arrange the bars the way you want them and take some time (possibly a lot of time to get it just how you want it), but from what i've experiences with Trinity, you could do just about everything you want to.
06-19-08, 01:24 PM   #4
Fashionabull
A Cliff Giant

This one uses the same look as the circular button mods (or inspired the others, not sure).

LunarSphere

Not sure if it will do all that you want, but might be a decent start, hope it helps.
06-19-08, 02:27 PM   #5
Hhoky
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thank you guys, gals.
I played with Lunar a little, I really like the look of it, but couldnt get it the way I wanted.
And Yea littlebuddha79 I messed around with Trinity, but its soooo not user friendly that after I spent a few days tweaking it, I slipped and called it a few choice names, so it packed up and left.
I was hoping somebody could disect the programming from those addons and come up with my idea, but more user friendly for us poor saps without the know how.
I might retry Trinity on an alt and see if we are still incompatable....if it will answer my phone calls. :P

I will still waiting for the Knight in Shining Programming to come to my aid though.
Thanks again.

06-19-08, 04:36 PM   #6
timberbear60
A Murloc Raider
Have you checked out Shockolate? Just a suggestion. I haven't used it but sounds like it's something you're looking for.
06-19-08, 06:34 PM   #7
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You could try the new Discord Action Bars when beefcan releases.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-19-08, 07:46 PM   #8
Mitranim
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I really really recommend you to try zBar2 if that's the case.
06-19-08, 08:03 PM   #9
Nynaeve
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
You could try the new Discord Action Bars when beefcan releases.
Holy mother of Jebus it looks almost exactly like the old site. Creepy.

It's been a while since I tried Lunarsphere, but I could never get it like I wanted, and trinity is not user-friendly, imo.

I have never used zBar2, though.

I'm doing a massive UI overhaul, so maybe I'll try them all out again.

Last edited by Nynaeve : 06-19-08 at 08:18 PM.
06-20-08, 01:01 AM   #10
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

LunarSphere can be tricky to setup, but I am sure all of this could be accomplished with Trinity.

I'll be the first to admit that trinity1's config was very intimidating, but Trinity2 is so much easier. I could have a circular setup like you describe within a couple minutes. That's just my suggestion though.

06-20-08, 10:23 AM   #11
Hhoky
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thank so much everyone, I spent a harrowing night playing around with a few of your idea's. I havent gotten to zbar2 yet, but the screen shots look semi promising. I did give Shocolate a try, and even though its very rough still and full of bugs (at least for me it was, liked to reset the bars and disapear), it looks lke a great idea once its fleshed out a bit and the planned to do list is finished. I may even try looking into the programming files myself...and if my eyes dont boil and my brain explode, I might play with it and see if I get my computer to catch on fire :P
Lunar is nice, but but its not what Im looking for at all, but thank you.
I admit...I was to daunted to give it a shot with Trinity again. But I will suck it up and give it a go today. (Puts Therapist on line 1 just in case.)
I will still hold out hope for a bar mod to be created like I decribed....Now if I could just find a falling star to wish on....
/cast [Circle of Thanks] rank 9 on forum posters. You guys are so helpful!

06-20-08, 10:58 AM   #12
Mitranim
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Hmm, not so helpful maybe, as zBar2 seems to be broken since the previous patch. That's odd.

Last edited by Mitranim : 06-20-08 at 11:03 AM.
06-22-08, 10:03 AM   #13
Hhoky
A Fallenroot Satyr

Ok guys, I kinda like the new Trinity2..so much more user freindly than the old version. I still cant get the bindings right, No Shift lock feature..but for the most part I got it at least looking the way i want. Thank you all so much.
Here take a look.

Let me know how my attempt turned out

Well off to fiddle with it some more..maybe
Happy Gaming Everyone!

06-22-08, 10:19 AM   #14
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

looks very cool
06-22-08, 02:56 PM   #15
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Bindings must be done through Trinity2's bindings interface, NOT the blizzard one. Otherwise, once you lock the bars, you can modify actions by shift-dragging them on and off the buttons. Looks pretty cool!

06-22-08, 03:58 PM   #16
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I like the layout. It would be really cool if when you hovered over the main butons, the other ones fanned out like the trinity minimap button.

06-23-08, 09:59 AM   #17
Slayth
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
i have the simplest solution for you

Download bartender and cycircled, and then download Action Bar Saver, you can make multiple profiles on ABS, like a shadow bar, healing bar, downrank bar, whatever you need.
06-23-08, 10:04 AM   #18
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Slayth View Post
i have the simplest solution for you

Download bartender and cycircled, and then download Action Bar Saver, you can make multiple profiles on ABS, like a shadow bar, healing bar, downrank bar, whatever you need.
I don't think that's what the OP was looking for.

06-23-08, 12:21 PM   #19
Hhoky
A Fallenroot Satyr

Hmm Slayth, Like Dreadlorde said, thats not quite what I was looking for, but thanks anyway.
Dreadlorde, I would love to be able to get em to fan out ^.^ but, no such luck. Unless I missed something somewhere, which is possible I do sometimes over look the obvious......hey have I always had that freckle there?

As to the Keybindings I was hoping for, Trinity has no setting for Locking the Shift# to a specific bar, I could have set it up for one bar to show other bars when a modifyer key was held, Like shift2, but no way to get each individual bar to bind to it.
For instance, I wanted my Heal Over Time to be Shift2, then the buttons per rank to be just 1,2,3 etc, then my Flash heal bar to be accessed by hitting Shift3, then 1,2,3 per rank ect...but it wont quite work that way, since there is no Shift lock feature. Maybe someday someone can add it, or figure it out..I dont know really but I can hope.

Oh well, I can use my mouse/touchpad to hit the buttons, so it works for now.
I do like many of the custom highlight options (even though the hover colors dont work quite right and aren't very bright) and I like that it can show the countdown timers and the color option for which spells I can use with my mana amount avalible.
So while I dont have all the options I was hoping for in my Dream Imaginary UI, I did get some. And Im still having fun tweaking this and that on all my characters. After all, its all about comprimise even when you want it all right.. <.< >.> ..right?

Hope you guys are having a great day, thanks for all your advice and help. Happy Gaming!

06-23-08, 03:22 PM   #20
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Shift, being a modifier, cannot be bound directly to a button in Trinity, BUT... you can bind an entire bar to Ctrl, Alt, or Shift. I was playing with having a few actions on "shift-bar" for awhile. When i held shift, my one bar switched to another bar. Kinda nifty, but not sure if it'll help you.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Request for A new Bar Mod *begs*