11-24-10, 09:36 AM   #1
Fyrstar
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite 4.03x, request for information

Yes, I've read the forums. Yes, I've followed the install instructions. Yes, I love the addon and all the hard work that's been put into it. No, I'm not a donor. Yes, I should be since I refuse to play WoW without Carbonite. Yes, I will be a donor once again when Cat fully releases and Carbonite is there as well.

HOWEVER.

I've glanced at some responses to some requests for help since Cat prerelease came out, and the responses were a teensy bit less than supportive. I can see the stress and restraint from the authors in dealing with difficult posters, and it's quite admirable.

I, too, have downloaded 4.03x. I've placed all the folders into the addons in 4 categories. It still, unfortunately, does not work. I will do a reinstall of the addon shortly.

However, making comments to posters such as "I don't understand why people continue to post about problems that are identified in other threads" is a bit bad consumer relations.

On the other hand, people coming in and jumping up/down screaming for immediate assitance doesn't make things easier either.

What I'm requesting is a timetable that we can look forward to for a stable version of Carbonite to be released. I am not a coder, so I have no clue how much work is involved, but I made addons for Warcraft 3 (Battle Tanks, anyone?) so I know the work is frustrating.

I've heard rumors about Cliq, but I won't get into those. I will just repeat my earlier question, and ask that the mods "Take a deep breath" before answering.

What date range are we looking at reasonably before a stable Carbonite is released? I'll provide a template so that all one has to do is fill in the blanks.=D

__/__/20__ to __/__/20__

On a more serious note, thank for very much for the incredible work in the past for a "really should have made me pay for it" addon.

Trinity

11-24-10, 10:47 AM   #2
LordVolk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The beta release works well for me. Only problem is the last of some of the map graphics, but thats a minor thing since we can't go to those places anyway.

11-24-10, 01:00 PM   #3
ozzydreamer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by LordVolk View Post
The beta release works well for me. Only problem is the last of some of the map graphics, but thats a minor thing since we can't go to those places anyway.
The beta release works for me as well, so just use that for now and let the programmers do what they need to do and leave it be.

11-24-10, 02:21 PM   #4
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
After reading the many posts today about carb not working I went and downloaded it and installed it. It is working fine.

11-24-10, 05:21 PM   #5
MagicHp
A Kobold Labourer
For me, It doesn't work either...

I installed Wow last saturday and Carbonite was running fine. After the patch, it stopped working. I came here, grabbed the latest beta release, then I removed the old files (including .bak in the WTF directory) and unrared the new Carbonite right where the other files were (Interface\addons). Still, Carbonite doesn't work, but it does load. I can see the Carbonite Icon, use the menus, but that's it... No map except the default one, no quest watch.

11-24-10, 06:12 PM   #6
famarie
A Defias Bandit
Hello !

I have exactly the same problem ! I cannot activate Carbonite... I don't understand why it seems to work for certain people and not for others....

I work on a french client. Is it linked ?

If some one has any idea..... I am lost without Carbonite !

11-24-10, 09:58 PM   #7
Kazragore
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It doesn't work on non-english clients.

11-24-10, 10:51 PM   #8
Fyrstar
A Defias Bandit
I'm glad it's working for so many.

But alas, it's not working for me.

I am on an English client, btw. I'm still waiting for a response on an ETA from developers.

11-24-10, 11:40 PM   #9
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Fyrstar View Post
I've glanced at some responses to some requests for help since Cat prerelease came out, and the responses were a teensy bit less than supportive. I can see the stress and restraint from the authors in dealing with difficult posters, and it's quite admirable.
However, making comments to posters such as "I don't understand why people continue to post about problems that are identified in other threads" is a bit bad consumer relations.
Haavok and myself are the only people posting in these forums that work on Carbonite. I don't believe we have made any such posts. A variety of other people post responses and what they say are their own opinions.

I, too, have downloaded 4.03x. I've placed all the folders into the addons in 4 categories. It still, unfortunately, does not work. I will do a reinstall of the addon shortly.

What I'm requesting is a timetable that we can look forward to for a stable version of Carbonite to be released. I am not a coder, so I have no clue how much work is involved, but I made addons for Warcraft 3 (Battle Tanks, anyone?) so I know the work is frustrating.
We consider the last two beta releases 106 and 107 to be pretty solid. 107 should have fixed the major problems the European client users were having.

For the English client, 106 is working well. I did an instance and some BGs last night. My son was also using it. Haavok was on his 70 mage today testing quests in Borean Tundra. I know of many small issues, but what you describe sounds like an install problem or SavedVariables problem.

11-25-10, 08:48 AM   #10
Fyrstar
A Defias Bandit
I'll attempt the reinstallation again. Thank you. I'll post exactly what I do in case of failure so that you can diagnose.

If'n ya'll don't see me, it means that I was successful=D

Edit:

It was successful. Download the NEWEST client, everyone. Then extract files to addon folder, after deleting the old Carbonite. Be sure that all four folders are listed in your addons folder.

Once you have done that, log in. Check to ensure that Carbonite is checked. Then fire it up.

Last edited by Fyrstar : 11-25-10 at 08:59 AM.

11-25-10, 10:08 AM   #11
Plannb23
A Defias Bandit
Mine wasn't working either and upon further investigation it was actually loading the 4.013 version and not the new 4.03 Beta version so I completely deleted the 4 folders associated with Carbonite, re-installed and it works perfectly. Just thought this might be a good thing for people struggling for it to work to know.

I'll attempt the reinstallation again. Thank you. I'll post exactly what I do in case of failure so that you can diagnose.

If'n ya'll don't see me, it means that I was successful=D

Edit:

It was successful. Download the NEWEST client, everyone. Then extract files to addon folder, after deleting the old Carbonite. Be sure that all four folders are listed in your addons folder.

Once you have done that, log in. Check to ensure that Carbonite is checked. Then fire it up.

11-25-10, 11:14 AM   #12
HoofInMouth
A Kobold Labourer
Oh thank the high heavens. I couldn't get Carbonite to work for days, either, once the WoW patch updated, and 105 (I'm pretty sure I downloaded that one), the 106, and 107 Carbonite updates didn't work for me, either. The 108 one worked! I'm a USA user, and I had downloaded everything according to instruction.

11-25-10, 02:42 PM   #13
famarie
A Defias Bandit
Wonderful !

The new beta works perfectly well !

Thanks a lot !

11-26-10, 12:58 AM   #14
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Good to hear!

Remember to always delete the 4 existing Interface\AddOns\Carbonite folders before unzipping or moving the new folders to Interface\AddOns, since I have seen and heard of cases of files not being overwritten correctly.

11-26-10, 01:04 AM   #15
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I just started re-doing a lot of lowbie quests for the Loremaster acheivement, and it seems that a lot of times, blizzard's own quest area location markers are off by quite a way.

I'm going to gather some more data and then upload it to you guys asap.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 4.03x, request for information