05-27-09, 11:13 PM   #1
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
nUI and Latency Issues

Now, I understand being in the UK and playing on the US servers that I would get latency issues.

I also don't think it is nUI's fault alone if at all. However, for some reason I have been receiving almost 1000 or even more latency on a daily basis. I deal with it for day to day stuff and its just annoying but tonight for the first time in the 2 or 3 weeks I have been getting this problem I had to disable nUI so I could do naxx 25 without DCing. It hit 900ms at least once and kicked me out 3 times while doing the arachnid quarter.

Disabled all but my essential addons ( nUI is really essential in my eyes after all this time but there you go ). I mean things like DBM, Skada, and other raid goodliness that I have running along with nUI. Once I disabled half the addons I didn't DC again until I logged out voluntarily and the latency never tipped past 600 while in naxx and fighting.

I love nUI and was having to learn where all the default buttons were again rofl .. but if I can't isolate exactly what is causing the problem I may have to stop using nUI for raiding.

I'm sure there are other causes I need to investigate but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anyone getting this problem in wow without nUI.

The beginning of the month is my addon clearout time so will minimise again and see if I can track down which addons are key elements to the cause and find out why. In fact may actually do that tonight and test it on tomorrows naxx run.

I've attached an image of my addon folder in case someone sees something that may be a contender. I'm trying to remember what I have added recently that tipped it over the scales but nothing jumps out at me yet.

Also, if anyone can think of anything else that would cause latency problems so often so recently then feel free to mention them.

Apologies for this big wall of text but 3 DCs in as many minutes almost can be a pain in the butt. And then the 10 minutes I spent rearranging the screens when I got back without nUI and others installed meant they were one dps short (which fortunately was my task today .. healing would have been a big problem).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	addons.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	2729  

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

05-27-09, 11:29 PM   #2
eaglepgc
A Cyclonian

I see the problem.. you are using Vista...

05-27-09, 11:50 PM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl been using vista for months .. this has only been happening in the last couple of weeks

But, been going through my scheduled tasks and event logs to see if something may have been running that I wasn't aware of and its possible my defrag was running. I was sure I changed it to after the raid times but guess it decided to change its mind .. so turned it off and will test it tomorrow. Although that only runs once a week and I get this problem every day. Next step is to wait until people wake up here .. its 6am here .. and see if they went to bed downloading stuff. At 3am you don't expect people to use the internet so can't blame them but would be nice to know.

Aha, found the culprit .. youngest brother was downloading stuff .. strangely enough over the last few weeks so that would explain alot. Although .. I did a tracert to wow and it stopped at att before timing out so maybe problems there anyway. But at least I know to change to the alternate connection when playing the game so as not to have those problems again. And yaay .. will hopefully get to keep nUI for many more years

Characters:

Last edited by Xrystal : 05-28-09 at 01:47 AM.

05-28-09, 01:45 AM   #4
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

ive never had latency issues before or after using nUI.. although i have modified my comp a little bit <.<

i run an average of about 50ms

sad thing is my roommate on the same LAN connection only gets about 200 ms >.>

now if only i had better stable overall FPS >.<

05-28-09, 04:20 AM   #5
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Just for the sake of clarity, particularly for those who are reading over our shoulders and don't know for sure what latency is, latency is a measure of the lag in time between when you issue a command to the server and the server responds to that command (in very simplified terms). Put another way, it's effectively the ping time between your system and the server you're playing on.

It has everything to do with your internet connection and the quality of your network interface and every route between you and the server. It has nothing to do with your mods themselves... I'm responsible for making sure you never have a good frame rate, the internet providers between you and Bliz are responsible for ensuring the other players see the named bosses before you do ~grin~

If it matters any, my typical latency (using nUI, not that it makes a difference) runs between 50ms and 125ms -- If I use my Sprint Wireless connection instead of my cable broadband for some reason, it drops to about 450ms

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

05-28-09, 05:16 AM   #6
lastguardian
A Fallenroot Satyr
i know what latency is and i know its not making sense that i use nui and i lag out, get dc etc..

but this happened to me too, all my guildies are from same place and they werent lagging. I login , start with 85 ping , we are in raid , i lag out , more like a spike , and sometimes that spikes ends with a dc..

but yeah probably its not cause nui but other factors.

Last edited by lastguardian : 05-28-09 at 06:12 AM.

05-28-09, 07:37 AM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post

Aha, found the culprit .. youngest brother was downloading stuff .. strangely enough over the last few weeks so that would explain alot. Although .. I did a tracert to wow and it stopped at att before timing out so maybe problems there anyway. But at least I know to change to the alternate connection when playing the game so as not to have those problems again. And yaay .. will hopefully get to keep nUI for many more years
Hard to say without looking at your trace route, but if it's timing out where I think it is, that's normal. Once you reach the server it's going to timeout right after that hop because you've hit their firewall. Are you performing the trace to the actual server you play on, or to the logon server? It makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Petrah : 05-28-09 at 07:41 AM.

05-28-09, 09:28 AM   #8
Durinbold
A Fallenroot Satyr

I've had some latency issues as well that just started recently. Typically, I run 90-200ms. From time to time, as soon as I log into WOW, my latency is over 1000. Alt-F4 and restart the whole game seems to fix it (/nui rl does not fix it). Also, from time to time while raiding (and worse, while tanking) WoW will freeze completely for 2-3 seconds afterwhich, everything goes back to normal. As you can imagine, in Ulduar, those 2-3 seconds often mean a wipe... anyone else experience this?

05-28-09, 09:54 AM   #9
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yes I have been freezing up with severe lag spikes and unless Im in shadow form with dots ticking on something I usually come back dead.

And yes, only went as far as the logon server, so perhaps it timed out like you said.

Characters:

05-28-09, 11:16 AM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Yes I have been freezing up with severe lag spikes and unless Im in shadow form with dots ticking on something I usually come back dead.

And yes, only went as far as the logon server, so perhaps it timed out like you said.
Normally you only run a trace route to the logon server if you cannot connect to the game at all. Latency issues during game play require a trace route to the server you play on.

The next time you go play, have a command prompt open on the desktop with the tracert command and your servers IP address already typed in there. As soon as you see a severe enough latency issue, drop the game to the taskbar if you are able and run the trace route. Here's how to get your servers IP address (the list on wowwiki is not always updated);

Wait for about 2 or 3 minutes (so the logon server IP doesn't appear)
Drop game to taskbar.
Go to run, type cmd.
Type netstat at the command prompt.
In the list you'll see something similar to (only with real numbers) xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:3724
Look at all the numbers and ignore the 3724 on the end
Type this (add the real numbers instead of my x's):

tracert xxx.xx.xxx.xx >C:\tracert.txt

05-29-09, 08:09 PM   #11
gman265
Premium Member

I have been having latency issues the last 2 weeks. It turns out that Comcast, my service provider, is having some issues right now. After speaking with a Comcast Rep, it seems that Comcast is having issues nationwide. (U.S.) If that is the case and Blizzard still uses Comcast, maybe this latency issue will trickle off to people not using Comcast.

Just my two-cents worth..

gman

05-29-09, 11:13 PM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl, Found out the latency was my brother. The fps problems Ive been getting the last few days others in the raid tonight were getting as well so we are starting to wonder if it is the instance server having problems more than individuals.

Characters:

05-30-09, 12:19 PM   #13
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by gman265 View Post
I have been having latency issues the last 2 weeks. It turns out that Comcast, my service provider, is having some issues right now. After speaking with a Comcast Rep, it seems that Comcast is having issues nationwide. (U.S.) If that is the case and Blizzard still uses Comcast, maybe this latency issue will trickle off to people not using Comcast.

Just my two-cents worth..

gman
Blizzard's ISP is AT&T and to my knowledge, they've never used Comcast.

05-30-09, 03:06 PM   #14
Dramber
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html
Went from 250-300 to 80-120 in game. I highly recommend it.

-Napoleon Dynamage

05-31-09, 01:42 AM   #15
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah I see that one the other day and initially it looks like something that dabbles with your computer. I'd rather do the dabbling myself than have someone I don't know do it for me.

I'm sure it's fine but better to be safe than sorry.

Characters:

05-31-09, 11:03 AM   #16
Tevar
An Aku'mai Servant

I know that I too have had some TERRIBLE lat issues in the past week.

But I like Gman25 found that it was my Comcast screwing around and failing at life. So as much as I would LOVE to blame nUI and make Speil put out a new version JUST for me upgraded with silver lining and a CLEAN beer grabbing macro for my troubles I sadly cant.

05-31-09, 11:30 AM   #17
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tevar View Post
I know that I too have had some TERRIBLE lat issues in the past week.

But I like Gman25 found that it was my Comcast screwing around and failing at life. So as much as I would LOVE to blame nUI and make Speil put out a new version JUST for me upgraded with silver lining and a CLEAN beer grabbing macro for my troubles I sadly cant.
Yes, it's a Comcast thing with a lot of players during the past week or so. There have been tons of threads about it over on the tech support forum lately. I would imagine that should it continue, Bliz will probably toss up a sticky thread requesting tracerts and then they'll contact Comcast. They'll do that if there are enough valid complaints.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI and Latency Issues