02-03-06, 09:56 PM   #1
Jallo
A Murloc Raider
Mage - Dampen and Amplify magic

I can't figure these spells out. When do you use? Do you cast on self, party memebers or mobs? What the heck do they do?
02-07-06, 10:31 AM   #2
Niightmare
A Murloc Raider
What you want to do is, Keep amplify on youself because it helps you cast... Then for dampen when you fight a magic using mob, cast it on who ever is gettin hit by the spells so it reduces damage.
02-07-06, 03:11 PM   #3
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Amplify increases magical damage or healing taken by the recipient. Basically you might use it on someone in your party or raid who is taking only melee damage to improve healing done to them (e.g., on the tank). You could also use it when taking spell damage provided that you are willing to accept the tradeoff between extra spell damage taken versus extra healing received.

Dampen reduces magical damage or healing taken by the recipient, so you might use it on yourself or party members when fighting enemy casters (although your healer may not be too happy). I'd typically only use this if I didn't have a healer in my party (or was soloing) when fighting casters.

-- Cirk
02-10-06, 07:18 AM   #4
Jallo
A Murloc Raider
Now you can see my problem clearly

Nightmare says cast amplify on self as it helps you cast.
Cirk says amplify increases damage on the recipient.

These 2 answers are exactly the opposite.

Yet both agree on Dampen.

HELP!!!!!

Jallo
02-10-06, 08:40 AM   #5
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you read the text of the spells:

Amplifies magic used against the targeted party member, increasing damage taken from spells by up to 15 and healing spells by up to 30. Lasts 10 min.
Dampens magic used against the targeted party member, decreasing damage taken from spells by up to 20 and healing spells by up to 40. Lasts 10 min.
You can see that Amplify Magic should be used when a party member (or yourself) has someone healing you, and they are only taking melee damage. As a priest and a druid, the +healing increase isn't worth the extra spell damage except in special cases (one mob, 10 healers) If you amplify your tank against a melee only mob, then the extra healing may help out. This relies on you knowing what is spell damage, and what is melee damage =)

Dampen Magic helps you against casters, or a party member against casters as the above posters have stated.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
02-10-06, 11:29 AM   #6
Daeanor
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I keep Dampen Magic on my mage pretty much all the time, to help against enemy casts; it's likely I'll get a few of those. But if I am taking melee damage, a boost to healing isn't going to help me very much, nor is a decrease to helaing going to hurt me ... I'm already taking the damage, and I can't take very much in the first place. My best viable choice is avoiding melee damage. I can't say I have ever used Amplify Magic, though I keep it upgraded just in case.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Mage - Dampen and Amplify magic