01-09-07, 12:37 AM   #1
z32o
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy Capping Graphics WAY below

Hello guys,

first of all, I would like to say that this is a really good community and website. I always come here to seek fresh and cool AddOns for my World of Warcraft.

Now, here is the deal. I'm using this computer to play WoW:
- P4 3.0ghz HT
- GeForce4 MX4000 128mb 64bits AGP8x (driver 77.77)
- 256mb RAM

I know it is too little RAM, but please understand that I'm not at a position to buy more RAM atm. Judjing by the discussions I saw over here at WoWInterface, I've come here to ask for you help (and yes, I have searched a little at the forums to be certain that my issue wasn't solved at any old topic).

I need an AddOn, or something, anything will do, to cap the graphics wayyy below normal options at the "Video Options" section inside the game. I have noticed that even when I put all settings to LOW, I can see the character's shadows and I can see far away.

Pleeease, i /beg you, tell me what I can do with my WoW! >_<

Thank you in advance.
z32o
01-09-07, 12:41 AM   #2
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addons cannot do what you want, sorry. Yes, youre problem is RAM. Plain and simple you have to buy more RAM. Get at least 1GB, the game is hardly playable otherwise.
01-09-07, 12:42 AM   #3
fluffykins
A Kobold Labourer

I don't think you can do much, and 256mb RAM is beyond extremely low .

1 gig memory is pretty cheap these days and WoW will run like 60 fps more when u have 1 gig

But i'll let the hardcore dude reply here :P There is probably something tweakable in config.wtf.

Also a tip, when using 256mb RAM, running addons is basicly out of the question
01-09-07, 02:18 AM   #4
z32o
A Murloc Raider
Aw, it's that my friend told me that there was a way to turn off shadows, sky animations, fogs and etc. He heard some stuff about an AddOn that did this and told me to do a little search.

Well, I'm not gonna give up that easy!
*now waiting for more users to post*
01-09-07, 02:44 AM   #5
Keppler
An Aku'mai Servant
Try http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fxToggle2.html, or if that doesn't help, you can always tweak the values in Config.wtf by hand. Doing so may cause random effects, blindness or excessive body-odour, but might be worth a try.

Also, more RAM
04-26-07, 03:55 PM   #6
oogiggityoo
A Kobold Labourer
Okay then, I have a 1gb.

Here's my computer:

Averatec
7100 Series
Mobile AMD Sepron
Processor 3000+
1.8 GHZ 896 RAM ( I have 2 512s)

I run an average of 10 FPS

There is NO reason I should be running this slow. Even with a 1.8 GHZ, I shouldn't be at 10 FPS!

Anyone have any ideas?
04-26-07, 04:09 PM   #7
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

"Even with a 1.8 GHz", it is a Sempron (lower end processor), and a mobile to boot. You don't have a full 1GB because part of that is shared to your video, which means it's slower than direct on-card video memory. Mobile video is rarely spectacular as well.

The sad truth is, unless you throw a lot of money into a laptop designed for gaming, you're not going to get OMGWOW! framerates. The game will be playable, but it won't be the best experience you could have.

I have 2 desktops and a laptop here I play on, the laptop was bought at xmas, one desktop is about a year old and the other is about 2 years old. All cost ~$800 at the time they were built. The 1yo desktop plays the best, the laptop and 2yo desktop play about the same. The newer desktop has 2GB, the other two have 1GB (laptop loses a little to vid). Both desktops run the same vid, but the older desktop has a slower processor. Laptop's video is the newest, but is a mobile version and uses system memory. All the processors are Athlons, no Semprons are allowed in this house!

Oh and framerates, I've seen the newer desktop hit 40FPS at best, 25ish in play. The other two get 25 at best, but usually around 10-15 in play.

Last edited by Tekkub : 04-26-07 at 04:15 PM.
04-26-07, 04:26 PM   #8
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

i need more RAM too.

accepting donations.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
04-26-07, 04:27 PM   #9
i-right-i
A Fallenroot Satyr

I know its been said, RAM RAM RAM. However RAM alone I don't think is going to give you as big of a boost as people might think. That video card is way old, and the MX4000 was pretty much the low man on the totem pole for that series of card. And to boot that its only a 64MB card, which in turn probably makes it so that most of your textures are written to RAM...oh wait scratch that, windows has pretty much already hogged all of that 256mb that you have....so it has to write that stuff to swap (virtual ram) instead. Ram and Video card are what your bottle necks are at the moment.

You could get a much better card on Ebay or Craigslist for very little money.

~i-right-i
04-26-07, 04:43 PM   #10
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

if you can overclock computer's, couldn't you underclock one too?

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
04-26-07, 08:48 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Thargos
if you can overclock computer's, couldn't you underclock one too?
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=overclock&gwp=13

You overclock a computer to try to get more performance out of it. This can often cause your computer to overheat and sometimes cause it to fry. Anyone trying to overclock their computer needs to know what they're doing and have plenty of ventilation and a good cooling system. I don't see any reason why anyone would want to "underclock" their computer, unless you were thinking of "underclocking" the game.

Anywho, games have minimum required specs for a reason. You can't run less than that and expect to get good performance.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Capping Graphics WAY below