05-18-08, 09:34 PM   #1
Llivavin
A Black Drake
Hunter specs.

Whats your favorite BM MM or Surv?
BM does more DPS
Surv does more overall damage when geared/specd right
MM is for pvp

Yes, survival -does more overall- damage ((if it has 30-40% crit chance the other 60-70% will lower DPS))

BM is basicly OMG Beastal wrath *auto shot*

MM is well just pvp.
05-18-08, 09:54 PM   #2
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Llivavin View Post
Whats your favorite BM MM or Surv?
BM does more DPS
Surv does more overall damage when geared/specd right
MM is for pvp

Yes, survival -does more overall- damage ((if it has 30-40% crit chance the other 60-70% will lower DPS))

BM is basicly OMG Beastal wrath *auto shot*

MM is well just pvp.
I never thought I would be saying this but BM is my favorite spec now. I was survival like forever and loved it up until the time they nerfed the agi/ap ratio.
05-18-08, 10:00 PM   #3
Llivavin
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by erica647 View Post
I never thought I would be saying this but BM is my favorite spec now. I was survival like forever and loved it up until the time they nerfed the agi/ap ratio.
Heh, i remember those days.... days when hunters got AGI enchants instead of +AP...
05-18-08, 11:38 PM   #4
JaceDaAce
A Black Drake

I find that BM spec is better for PVP than MM and MM is really good for raiding along with survival.
05-18-08, 11:38 PM   #5
JaceDaAce
A Black Drake

Oh I forgot Hunters need a fear trap lol
05-19-08, 04:05 AM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I speced MM for PvP and love it! BM was great for leveling, but when I tried to PvP I found myself depending entirely too much on my pet. I tried Surv once and hated it.. died way to much lol.

I don't really play my hunter anymore though... rolled a rogue and am having a blast with her
05-20-08, 03:17 AM   #7
digmouse
A Fallenroot Satyr
BM is just toooo much depending on the pet, but since there's too many bosses that have ground AOE, pet may not do their max damage over all. MM really depends on your gear, if you managed to gear up to 2500+ AP and 30+ crit, even in raid you would find your DPS is remarkable too, and SV... think it can do good DPS too, and maybe more suitable for 5-man instances for the good CC abilities if you dont do raids much like me.
05-20-08, 09:06 AM   #8
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by digmouse View Post
BM is just toooo much depending on the pet, but since there's too many bosses that have ground AOE, pet may not do their max damage over all. MM really depends on your gear, if you managed to gear up to 2500+ AP and 30+ crit, even in raid you would find your DPS is remarkable too
The only problem with a full MM spec for Raids is that unless your tanks are significantly over-geared, your damage will be capped by your threat. Even using FD whenever possible, you would most likely pull agro if you are geared. BM hunters will share part of their threat with their pet, effectively allowing them to output more damages. If you handle your pet smartly you should be able to keep it alive for most boss fights (they are immune to many special attacks, and you can call them back ahead of time for many others melee range attacks). All our hunters went up 2 or 3 ranks in the DPS charts after speccing from MM to BM. On some specific boss fights hunters have their pets do close to one third of their overall damage. Obviously this can be mitigated if you use different sort of gear, but only to a certain extend.
Originally Posted by digmouse View Post
and SV... think it can do good DPS too, and maybe more suitable for 5-man instances for the good CC abilities if you dont do raids much like me.
I agree with this, even in Kara you will occasionally make good use of traps if your group is not perfectly class-balanced. Otherwise I doubt there is much use in 25-men.

Last edited by Kaomie : 05-20-08 at 09:21 AM.
05-20-08, 09:22 AM   #9
digmouse
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Kaomie View Post
The only problem with a full MM spec for Raids is that unless your tanks are significantly over-geared, your damage will be capped by your threat. Even using FD whenever possible, you would most likely pull agro if you are geared. BM hunters will share part of their threat with their pet, effectively allowing them to output more damages. If you handle your pet smartly you should be able to keep it alive for most boss fights (they are immune to many special attacks, and you can call them back ahead of time for many others melee range attacks). All our hunters went up 2 or 3 ranks in the DPS charts after speccing from MM to BM. On some specific boss fights hunters have their pets do close to one third of their overall damage.
Agreed. BM hunters would make a better raid position due to the good threat controll, MM works good for DPS but not the best of raid choice.
05-20-08, 01:20 PM   #10
Llivavin
A Black Drake
Survival doesn't do DPS
It does damage. ((also tends to be a massive ball of threat...))

With enough agility and you get full raid buffed you can get over 50% crit chance meaning massive damage... the other 50% of the shots will drag down your DPS

Survival hunters are the most geared dependent out of the three specs, also the hardest to pull off.

MM = pure PVP as it stands((they draw off way to much aggro off of tank and from what i've seen hunters rarely use MD/FD when raiding to prevent taking the aggro off the tank)) and any hunter that gets +AP instead of +agi if +agi is available needs to be shot.

Last edited by Llivavin : 05-20-08 at 01:41 PM.
05-20-08, 01:56 PM   #11
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

BM is best for leveling.

Once you hit 70 and want to raid, the best spec is 41/20/0 (BM/MM/S). This is because you get all the good stuff from BM, and crit bonuses from MM.

Once you get TONS of agility (like around 700+) you can spec and be useful for raiding as Survival.

If you are looking to level, it is best to go BM. PvP, probably MM. Raiding, 41/20/0.

HTH.
05-20-08, 02:32 PM   #12
digmouse
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
BM is best for leveling.

Once you hit 70 and want to raid, the best spec is 41/20/0 (BM/MM/S). This is because you get all the good stuff from BM, and crit bonuses from MM.

Once you get TONS of agility (like around 700+) you can spec and be useful for raiding as Survival.

If you are looking to level, it is best to go BM. PvP, probably MM. Raiding, 41/20/0.

HTH.
What about go raiding with BM and some haste gear? like those from ZAM, 100 haste with the speed bonus from BM spec would be awesum for DPS. currently with my gear I stack to 2400 AP with MM spec, a phoenix bow (2.8), in haste gear it's 2.37 speed, and if switch to BM it maybe 2.1 or so, with about 2000AP, I even cant wait for the 3-day WoW suspension to be over to test it out. but, mourning first.

Last edited by digmouse : 05-20-08 at 02:38 PM.
06-10-08, 01:02 PM   #13
Brandeehasonetoo
A Kobold Labourer
There's a reason it's called God Mode

Whoever says Beast Mastery isn't PvP hasn't considered the fact that Bestial Wrath is like popping an epic Insignia of the Horde/Alliance.
06-10-08, 01:45 PM   #14
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Llivavin View Post
MM = pure PVP as it stands((they draw off way to much aggro off of tank and from what i've seen hunters rarely use MD/FD when raiding to prevent taking the aggro off the tank))
Responsible MM can make good DPS on a Raid and keep thread down if they do use MD/FD as much as they can, while still making sure the cooldowns are up when it counts. The main ball of threat is generated from a big Aimed Shot crit. But if you use a good rotation of Auto Shot, Steady Shot, Arcane Shot, and Kill Command when it comes up, and ignore aimed shot, you will most likely see your DPS go up with the long cast time for Aimed shot eliminated...and your threat go down with the HUGE crits from Aimed Shot eliminated.

Silencing shot is also a big plus for helping out in raid, especially with those pesky mobs that Fear.
06-24-08, 09:21 AM   #15
TugaKnights
A Defias Bandit
Well, Ive been raiding Kara with a DPS MM talent setup, and have yet to see a big difference between BM and MM in terms of DPS.

While I am undergeared for comparison with the BM Hunters I see here, I will say that I have 1900 AP, 20% crit, 99 Hit Rating and still come in third in DPS with only 3 epic items on my equipment, none of which are weapons.

I guess rotation is all,if you do it right you can even go as far as pop in the odd aimed shot. You cant forget of coure to use a Threat meter.

If you are over aggroing your tank(s), FD/MD, Scatter Shot, turn off autofire, but dont keep bombing the mob.

Most of the time I find that not using MD on the tank off the bat on boss fights is a good reason for wiping.

Why MM for raids abovce all other specs?

The reason is simple, MM provides Imp Hunters Mark, True shot aura, which turn a nice bonus AP for ranged combat. thus they are a bonus to all other ranged classes such as mages, locks and any other talent hunter spec.

MD and silencing shot are also a MM's bonuses, not to mention the fact that if you are half into your character's proper way of playing you will outdps all other hunter settings, because no matter what the number cruncher's are saying, no one knows for sure how dmg works exactly on WoW, we are all theorizing about what we see, and forget a most important fact:

We are only seeing random roll results and there is imho not that much more into it.

"Random(100)" is all there is to it.

And of course dont forget... an arrow above you head means.... TAG you're it
07-27-08, 09:20 AM   #16
jehdin
A Defias Bandit
I am a follower of the ways of Survival. I've been all over the trees, but at the moment, my favorite is a 7/20/34 DPS Survival build. No PVP tricks (SS, WS), but I still have a bagful of DPS goodies.

The challenge for me is that I don't do as much /personal/ DPS as the BM Hunters, but I contribute arguably the best utility for all melee and my fellow Hunters - a 300+ AP Expose Weakness and 5/5 Imp HM. You just can't get that from TSA.
07-27-08, 10:42 AM   #17
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
BM so far for PvP is the best specs for me, look at my dodge rating, I can hardly be pwnable against rogues, war with this specs that awesome, I won so much 2vs1 or a few 3vs1 in closed combats with that specs and gear, I take too much else without huge dodge I have tested, it's a habit now once I'm in closed combat I switch to monkey aspect and throw a scorpid sting -5% hit on closed targets, works very well.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 07-27-08 at 10:55 AM.
08-15-08, 02:12 AM   #18
Fireproof213
A Cyclonian

I usually roll BM but with about 16 points in MM for Lethal Shots, Imp Hunter's Mark (for the heroix), efficiency, and Aimed Shot (for the lulz)
08-15-08, 09:27 PM   #19
Ingensu
A Fallenroot Satyr

I've been survival for a while now. I'm in Marks as far as aimed shot/improved hunter's mark, and everything else into Survival. I took everything except the melee buffs, but I took counterattack for soloing. I don't mind doing less damage, because as soon as improved mark and expose weakness up, the tanks and rogues start to go up in damage. I take a lot of pride in being a group utility, which is why I'm so excited for Wrath... Hunting party looks amazing.

Basically, I'm survival because I love being beneficial to everyone in the party, not only having high dps on my part.

Btw I do a lot of raiding, I never PvP.
US - Stormrage
Goal: Level and gear one of every class. (2.5/10)
08-17-08, 12:25 AM   #20
Huriana
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The top DPS spec for hunters is 41/20/0

If you say otherwise, you're wrong.

A MM hunter will never pass a BM hunter who has done at least a little homework.

As for Surv.. The dps isn't that great, but the dps boost to others in the raid can be very nice.

MM is PvP.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Hunter specs.