05-27-09, 10:21 AM   #1
Farm Fresh
A Fallenroot Satyr

Cannot run the Minion jar on Vista. I'm at the end of my rope.

I'm by no means an uneducated PC user. So it's incredibly frustrating that WINRar has taken away the .jar association from Java and I CANNOT restore it. I've tried it manually, using every single thing in the java folder to open it with and always receiving errors about the main class missing or just a crash out of java. I have reinstalled java which was supposed to restore the association. Nothing. I have even tried using a program that is supposed to fix it called jarfix and nothing. Somebody PLEASE suggest something I have not already tried. I'm about to smash my head against the wall because there is no reason for Vista to be crapping all over my attempts. This is probably the first real problem I've had with Vista. I have Googled the same two solutions about 50 times and I've searched the internet for about 20 minutes. ANY help no matter how stupid would be appreciated.
05-27-09, 10:51 AM   #2
TekNoir
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not sure I would blame this on Vista as it is common among many platforms for archiver programs (among others) to hijack the .jar extension used by Java.

I no longer use WinRar (as I prefer the free 7-zip in its stead), but the first thing I would do is go to the Options menu and unassociate .jar with WinRar. Make certain to apply and save the settings.

Next (on Vista) go to your Start Menu. On the bottom right there is an option for "Default Programs". It will open a window with the second option being "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". Click it and let it load the associations for the computer. Scroll down to .jar and select it. In the upper right click on "Change Program". Hopefully, Java will be listed in the recommended programs (if not, you may need to browse for it). Select Java and click on OK.

Then try installing/running the Minion program again. You may need to restart your computer after any changes, but not usually. If it still isn't working, restart and then check the association within the Default Programs control panel once again. If the association is still reverting to WinRar, perhaps Rar-Labs has further information to assist you.
05-27-09, 11:32 AM   #3
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
Open notepad. Type in:

@echo off
java -jar minion.jar
Save it into the minion folder, as type "all files" under the name "launch.bat". You should then be able to just double-click that launch.bat and run minion.
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?
05-27-09, 01:09 PM   #4
Farm Fresh
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by ScytheBlade1 View Post
Open notepad. Type in:

Save it into the minion folder, as type "all files" under the name "launch.bat". You should then be able to just double-click that launch.bat and run minion.
Thank you. You've saved my sanity. I had already tried unassociating jars with WINRAR and associating Java with Jars but to no avail.
05-27-09, 07:21 PM   #5
DJP
A Murloc Raider
I had this same problem (Nokia PC Suite stole it from me instead of WinRAR)

Ended up just reinstalling Java (needed to update anyway)
05-27-09, 08:47 PM   #6
Tearstar
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by ScytheBlade1 View Post
Open notepad. Type in:

Thanks alot, I was almost ready to scream WM lol . . . got it to install and scanning now, I have over 300 addons so it's gonna take awhile to evalute

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Cannot run the Minion jar on Vista. I'm at the end of my rope.