07-25-12, 07:40 PM   #1
Nyctrennis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Stat Inflation and Addons

What I want to do is pretty simple if I could only figure out how to do it: I want to reduce all health/damage/healing values to what they were in Wrath or BC. At first glance this seems downright silly but it's just a fun idea that I had and wanted to see if it could work. This would be completely a graphical effect and would have no relevance to what the values actually are. I've pored over the FrameXML but found nothing that could help me. The only thing I could think of would be to go through on a per-addon basis and make it display a certain percentage of the health value, but I'd really prefer to hook it before it's passed to anything else. Any ideas? Is this even possible? I've developed an addon or two for reference.
07-25-12, 08:18 PM   #2
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...geMoPBeta.html

That is not exactly what you are asking for, I think, but it does add some sort of comical effect.

As for cutting down on all values, I've noticed a problem with e.g. tooltips (and most numbers across the game). Tooltip stats are now displayed as strings rather than numbers, because they use comma separators. It might be needed to cut out these separators and then use tonumber() before you can work with these numbers.

Hooking into the function that adds these separators (if accessible) would not work, because you'd end up reducing all comma-separated numbers across the game, and not just the ones relevant to stats.

Last edited by Haleth : 07-25-12 at 08:24 PM.
07-26-12, 01:35 PM   #3
Nyctrennis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Modifying the tooltips would surely be something different entirely, but perhaps I could solve it with a regex. What would you suggest in the way of modifying the visual health values? I hear that hooking UnitHealth is a bad plan.
08-14-12, 06:16 PM   #4
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I actually made an addon called NerfEverything that does this a while back, it's written pretty terribly and will almost definitely taint your interface, but you can look at how I did it if you want.

Since then I've thought of several ways this could be done without tainting the interface and with much less code but some text simply can't be modified by an addon, namely the scrolling combat text above units heads. There isn't really any way around this (you can hook onto nameplates and sort of fake it but it's pretty limited).

Also I wanted to use a logarithmic scale instead of a flat percentage reduction but for a reason that escapes me right now (it was a pretty good reason at the time) I couldn't get it to work how I wanted it to.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Stat Inflation and Addons