01-29-15, 02:41 AM   #1
10leej
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To call it a rewrite, or a new project?

So I'm in the middle of my rewrite for BobUI and so far I've made a lot of changes. Especially to the overall code structure as I'm trying to replace my scripts I borrowed (with permission from everyone of course) to scripts of my own work. So basically this rewrite will have a UI that operates more like how oUF itself does (though maybe not nearly as complex)

However as great as all this is. This rewrite I basically started over from scratch.

So fellow people. Should I call this BobUI 7.0 or upload it as a new project?

(I have no git or svn repos up right now sorry. Also be a use for the past 4 months where I had no access to a game client I have no screenshots either)
01-29-15, 05:08 AM   #2
Banknorris
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Should have another name imo.
01-29-15, 07:36 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

The internals don't matter to users. If the overall appearance and functionality are roughly the same, just call it 7.0. If the appearance and/or functionality are changing significantly, call it a new project.
01-29-15, 08:57 AM   #4
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Definitely keep the name if it's just a matter of some internal reworkings. I would say keep the name until the overall purpose of the addon changes. (eg if it becomes something other than a complete UI replacement) If you look at some major applications such as operating systems or web browsers, they overhaul their designs every now and then. Well, maybe if in a new version a user would have no chance of recognising it, it might be time for a name change.
01-29-15, 03:18 PM   #5
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Changing names too often is not good, even if you change much in the UI, you'll always win more ppl if the name is well known.
01-29-15, 07:27 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Changing names too often is not good, even if you change much in the UI, you'll always win more ppl if the name is well known.
Yes, this is another point -- look at other addon projects where the author(s) discontinued it and started a new project instead of just incrementing the major version. WeakAuras2 replacing WeakAuras caused a lot of problems for a lot of users, especially since it was designed to use the same saved variable names. Squire3 replaced Squire2 when WoD launched, but it wasn't obvious at all -- Squire2 was just broken and there was nothing on its download page indicating that a new project had been launched to replace it; there is now, but that still doesn't help Curse Client users, who will just assume the addon has been abandoned and uninstall it without ever knowing there is actually an update available.
01-29-15, 08:01 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Before I shifted to using wow version number as a base number to my addon versions I used to use major versions for rewrites and the like and minor versions for fixes and tweaks etc.

The only times I have changed names was when the reason for the name was invalid. Such as my nUI plugins for mage portals and scrolling quest watchers .. they were initially for nUI users only but when I took out the nUI fixed element I renamed it to show that non nUI users can benefit for them as well.
01-29-15, 11:31 PM   #8
10leej
A Molten Giant

I wasn't talking about renaming BobUI I was talking about either updating it and still call it BobUI (even though a lot of internals and even how the addon itself is handled by the end user are fairly different) from any previous version, or just making what I've got new addon completely
01-30-15, 12:09 AM   #9
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Ah well I haven't played the game for almost a year now so... Didn't know.
If you want to invest the time, don't change the name, just make it new and have fun doing it.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 01-30-15 at 12:14 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » To call it a rewrite, or a new project?