08-28-08, 08:01 PM   #1
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Finally we can write one of those most-asked-for addons

3.0 finally includes details of the AMOUNT of damage absorbed by shields, in the combat log.

This means that, in theory, we can offer a 'percentage shield remaning' function - something people have asked for many, many times.

Well - we can assuming you only have 1 shield active at any time - as the combat log doesn't tell you WHICH shield absorbed the damage - but that's not going to be a BIG issue methinks...

FYI you can total up absorbs from the following events...

SWING_MISSED arg9=="ABSORB" arg10==amount
SWING_DAMAGE arg13==partial amount
SPELL/RANGE_MISSED - arg12=="ABSORB" arg13==amount
SPELL/RANGE_[PERIODIC_]DAMAGE - arg16==partial amount

If I've missed anything there plz do update this thread ofc.

I tested this on my Frost Mage earlier and discovered that my Ice Barrier is considerably better than advertised too!

Base absorb is 1075 - most people reckoned the coefficient was around 33% but with 641 +damage I'm seeing 1595 absorb everytime!!

No way to tell if this is a WOTLK 'change' or whether it's really been so much better all along but it's nice to know

Last edited by kerrang : 08-28-08 at 08:04 PM.
08-29-08, 03:19 AM   #2
Zyplon
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I dont know Code or anything, but this looks like a great idea. I have always wondered while on my priest how long my PW:S will last me. Look forward to seeing what some developers come up with.
08-29-08, 04:00 AM   #3
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
one AIM shot and its gone , simple
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
08-29-08, 04:28 AM   #4
Constie
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by kerrang View Post
No way to tell if this is a WOTLK 'change' or whether it's really been so much better all along but it's nice to know
Actually, assuming it works like Power Word: Shield, you should be able to figure out how much it absorbs right now on live by just getting it oneshot. If the total absorption is 1.5k and you're hit for 2k, it'll say you're hit for 500 (1500 absorbed).

Also, shields always take damage in a certain order - for instance, if you have Frost Ward and Mana Shield active, MS won't take any damage until FW is used up (from frost attacks, obviously) - so it should be possible to make this work with several shields.
08-29-08, 08:32 AM   #5
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
The only way to 'estimate' shield strength at the moment is to batter someone under controlled conditions (usually a duel) with a spell/attack that has a fairly tightly defined damage range - over a LONG period then average it out - which is what people did to come up with the 33% figure.

Ice Barrier is clearly nowhere near that in WOTLK tho - so either their maths was wrong or it's been buffed (and may yet be nerfed again!)

It's early days for my plans to include 'shield strength' in O.B.I. - what I don't want to have to do is write a tonne of rules on which shields have priority of which other shields - let alone a tonne of code to calculate actual shield values based on your stats - I'll leave that to someone else and their 'Ultimate Shield Mod' I think.

It's nice to be able to do something with this tho - next up we need access to the quest database to create a 'which quests have you missed' addon - plz - thx
09-23-08, 08:06 AM   #6
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Mera View Post
one AIM shot and its gone , simple
Seethe! SEEEETHHHEEEEE!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Finally we can write one of those most-asked-for addons