11-19-09, 05:29 PM   #1
kasca
A Frostmaul Preserver
WOW Heroes

I been useing gear score. Seems most raids and my own guild use wow heroes.
Is there a mod that gives that score?
11-19-09, 05:39 PM   #2
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

no offense, but i don't think many here would use gearscore or any mod of that nature, as it is a very poor representation of how well a player will preform, simply from the many different situations those types of mods exclude from how they calculate those scores.
11-19-09, 05:43 PM   #3
Praesagus
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't have the answer but as many of the gear score addons are here at wowinterface, there potentially are people who use it and might have an answer seeing as gearscore has been downloaded over 31000 times.
11-19-09, 05:53 PM   #4
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

hmm, i may stand corrected on the actual usage then, my apology.

however, my opinion of the type of mod that is gearscore, remains the same, as i am sure that many here most likely hold.

if it weighed the many factors that contribute to a players performance in a raid setting that are currently excluded by this type of mod, then such a mod would be quite useful.

as of now, tho, im sorry, all i have to offer is my informed opinion about the current state of any such mod, and do not know of one that would fulfill such a hefty role.
11-19-09, 05:55 PM   #5
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Hey man, did you even TRY entering "Gearscore" in the search box?

You know, I did
11-19-09, 06:00 PM   #6
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post

You know, I did
Originally Posted by kasca View Post
I been useing gear score.
Hey nightcracker, did you even TRY reading the opening post?
(see how helpful that was ?)

Originally Posted by kasca View Post
Seems most raids and my own guild use wow heroes.
Is there a mod that gives that score?
Originally Posted by GearScore Description
How does GearScore compare to 'ratings' websites?

* I started working on GearScore before I even knew of WoW-heroes or IMBA. I'm not sure how IMBA calculates its scores but WoW-Heroes scores are always about 1/2 of GearScore's scores. Many people ask me to simply use the same formula these websites do. There are a few problems with that. The first is I don't wish to steal a formula from a website and brand it as inline with their scores. Those sites make $$ from advertisers and if I steal their work I'm also stealing their money. Another problem with this is that the armory gives these websites more information then my mod, therefore they are able to take into account additional factors when calculating scores.
11-19-09, 06:08 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member

You know, I did
He already uses gearscore but the score from that is different from the wow-heroes one. I know this as I used gear score once myself and it shows different information.

To the OP.

Formulae for the different score systems are most often calculated differently. They will start off with the item score but then at some add a number based on rarity of the item and that number can vary between developers of said addon/feature. The only way you would get wow-heroes values in an addon is if they wrote it themselves as only they would know the definitive value.

If you need an in game evalulator stay with gear score or look for similar ones. Otherwise do what we did. Alt tab out and check the website. However, bear in mind that the website is based on gear they logged out with last and some people may have switched to PVP gear for a bit between raiding and logging out.

I always stressed to my raid leader that we can only use it as a guide. If we can see they are a fresh 80 .. then no Ulduar etc and point them to Naxx or heroics to gear up. Even if someone wasn't shown as ready for Ulduar etc quite yet I pulled them in.

Gear is not everything but it helps. Skill and knowing your classes abilities and function in a group is better And this is coming from someone after levelling and raiding with 3 different healers, 2 different casters and found that she was best with a shaman healer. My priest and mage dps were always the lowest despite having the highest priest gearscore in the guild :P My priest and druid healing was terrible .. the priest more so apparently. Brought the shaman in and everyone was happy and I was repeatedly told I had found my comfort zone

Edit: Rofl, and I see haste beat me to some of the replies while I was typing my essay out .. rofl
11-19-09, 06:09 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by haste View Post
Hey nightcracker, did you even TRY reading the opening post?
(see how helpful that was ?)

11-19-09, 07:31 PM   #9
zero-kill
A Firelord

Gear-score is the reason I quit playing.
11-19-09, 09:07 PM   #10
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
*Start Rant*

As I have always said. I can care less what the hell your gear score is or what mine is just so long as you can do your job. Today we had a quote "high gear score to the max" hunter in a 10 man Ony raid who barely pulled 2.3k DPS I was about to slap him silly. Gear score means nothing compared to player skill.

*End Rant*
11-19-09, 11:29 PM   #11
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
Keep in mind that the Gearscore addon is based primarily on ilevels and slot weightings, not including certain gemmings and enchants. Wow-heroes uses a model so that enchants have different scores based on your class and spec, and that certain really good ilevel 200 trinkets, for example, have higher scores than some other high ilevel stuff. I believe wow-heroes also takes tier set bonuses into account, which Gearscore won't do. Meanwhile, with Gearscore, I can artificially put my rating up near 5000 just by putting on a bunch of high ilevel stuff that together would give crappy performance with any spec. Also, fury warriors are rated artificially high with Gearscore because they have 2 2-handed weapons, and those have a high weighting.

So, as before, Gearscore is only the vaguest indicator. Also examine the person's enchants, gems, and whether the gear makes sense.

Last edited by Kleo : 11-19-09 at 11:58 PM.
11-19-09, 11:32 PM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by AsheruWolf View Post
*Start Rant*

As I have always said. I can care less what the hell your gear score is or what mine is just so long as you can do your job. Today we had a quote "high gear score to the max" hunter in a 10 man Ony raid who barely pulled 2.3k DPS I was about to slap him silly. Gear score means nothing compared to player skill.

*End Rant*
11-20-09, 01:14 AM   #13
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
Oh forgot to say... I also hate when people go too far the other way. Yes, gear makes a difference. And if you've been 80 for any period of time and haven't managed to get some badge pieces, heroic pieces, crafted pieces, (and assuming you've had some time to play), I'll assume you're lazy. If you have epic gear, but don't gem or enchant it, I'll wonder why I should give you any more epics, since you can't take care of the ones you already have. If you try to join a raid higher than Naxx or Archevon while wearing more than a green or two, yes, I'll reject you outright. Do the work first, don't think skill can totally replace having the right tools at your disposal as well.
11-20-09, 01:19 AM   #14
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

You know, I did

I'm sorry dude

I now officialy FAIL.
11-20-09, 12:40 PM   #15
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Whoops... Sorry Petrah... Here have some PBJ time.

Just really gear score can annoy me. I mean really when I out heal people in 8.5 gear in full 9.25 I just kind of laugh. However when someone gets into a complaint about me using the lower tier gear and saying how bad my gear score is... well lets just say I want to hurt someone. Though I do get a good laugh when I top the charts.

Last edited by AsheruWolf : 11-20-09 at 12:43 PM.
11-20-09, 01:14 PM   #16
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by AsheruWolf View Post
Whoops... Sorry Petrah... Here have some PBJ time.

Just really gear score can annoy me. I mean really when I out heal people in 8.5 gear in full 9.25 I just kind of laugh. However when someone gets into a complaint about me using the lower tier gear and saying how bad my gear score is... well lets just say I want to hurt someone. Though I do get a good laugh when I top the charts.
I know exactly what you mean. And I also think Kleo has a point, too. I feel that it should be balanced where gear and experience are both considered... not one without the other.

Your post reminded me of a screenie I took the other day, so I went and dug it up for ya. A perfect example of how people can take it just a bit too far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gearcheck.png
Views:	810
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	3571  
11-21-09, 08:29 AM   #17
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I know exactly what you mean. And I also think Kleo has a point, too. I feel that it should be balanced where gear and experience are both considered... not one without the other.

Your post reminded me of a screenie I took the other day, so I went and dug it up for ya. A perfect example of how people can take it just a bit too far.

HAHAHAHA now that brings a smile to my face.
11-21-09, 01:22 PM   #18
Mycroftxxx1
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

If the class coloring was correct, that was a DK doing the gear check for sfk.

Why oh why would he be worried?

/facepalm

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » WOW Heroes