12-21-10, 02:59 PM   #1
Overlordjoo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Turning a Picture into a Background

I got this from a screenshot posted by Bytales.
I had to photoshop it a bit, but now that all of the overlay stuff is gone, how do I turn it into a useable picture for a background?

I have used sunnart, and I have failed at using KGpanels a ton. Any help for this?

I know it needs to be turned into a targa? What else?
12-21-10, 05:06 PM   #2
Overlordjoo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have gotten it into KGpanels, but the center is white. Also I do not know how to get it from inside KGpanels on the rest of my screen.

I am a noob at kgpanels.
Message: Interface\AddOns\kgPanelsConfig\PanelHelper.lua:344: attempt to index local 't' (a nil value)
Time: 12/21/10 17:09:55
Count: 1
Stack: Interface\AddOns\kgPanelsConfig\PanelHelper.lua:344: in function <Interface\AddOns\kgPanelsConfig\PanelHelper.lua:319>
(tail call): ?
[C]: ?
[string "safecall Dispatcher[3]"]:9: in function <[string "safecall Dispatcher[3]"]:5>
...nfig-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0.lua:797: in function <...nfig-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0\AceConfigDialog-3.0.lua:612>
[C]: ?
[string "safecall Dispatcher[4]"]:9: in function <[string "safecall Dispatcher[4]"]:5>
...erface\AddOns\Recount\Libs\AceGUI-3.0\AceGUI-3.0.lua:314: in function `Fire'
...ount\Libs\AceGUI-3.0\widgets\AceGUIWidget-Button.lua:21: in function <...ount\Libs\AceGUI-3.0\widgets\AceGUIWidget-Button.lua:19>

Locals: <none>

Last edited by Overlordjoo : 12-21-10 at 05:10 PM.
12-21-10, 05:51 PM   #3
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It needs an Alpha Channel for it to be transparent in WoW.

Here's an old, but (hopefully still) relevant tutorial on how to get transparency for Targa files in WoW.
12-21-10, 05:52 PM   #4
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Xandora, you didn't post a link.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
12-21-10, 06:07 PM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
First, if you haven't already, take a look at the kgPanels Wiki.

Basically, while working with the graphic as a native Photoshop .psp file, make a new layer and make it black. Move that layer below the graphic layer. Next, select the graphic (in the "Layers" pallet, make the layer for the graphic active, and "ctrl + left click" the image of the graphic) and then switch to the "Channels" pallet. On the "Channels" pallet, make a new channel ("Create new channel" button). A new channel should appear in the channels pallet called "Alpha one". Your graphic should now look like just the black background with a dual selection Marquee around where the graphic was. That's normal. If you check your color selections (foreground and background) should have also changed to white for the foreground and black for the background. If it hasn't just change it so that that's what you have. Now change to the "Paint Bucket tool" and fill the selection with white. Turn on the other color channels, but turn off the alpha channel, and switch back to the layers pallet. Right click one of the layers and choose to "Flatten Image". "ctrl + D" to deselect the graphic.

When saving, save as a "TARGA" and be sure the "Alpha Channels" option is checked. After hitting "Save" you should get a small "Targa Options" box pop up. Choose "32 bits/pixel" and no compression, and hit "OK".

I know that PNG's can be converted to .blp's via an online application but have never done it since this method works and I can do it and trust it.

There are also size limitations for your graphics as used in both kgPanels and SunnArt, so you might want to look into that.

I hope this helps you.
12-21-10, 07:50 PM   #6
Overlordjoo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I don't understand the part about the alpha. Is there a video tutorial of it anywhere?
12-22-10, 07:12 PM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Overlordjoo View Post
I don't understand the part about the alpha. Is there a video tutorial of it anywhere?
Probably, but you have obviously figured it out judging by your post in your other thread HERE.

I might add, though, that you should probably still use SunnArt just for the viewport part of it, or another viewport addon to get your entire viewing area back in the open area left by your panels.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Turning a Picture into a Background