07-15-08, 06:14 PM   #1
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Losing textures when switching windowed mode

I'm having a problem with a mod I have created. In a nutshell, when users toggle between windowed and non-windowed video modes, nearly all of the textures for my various graphic elements disappear. The frames are all still there and things like text labels and such still appear, but all custom textures vanish.

Toggling windowed modes again, switching video size and other similar actions do not fix the problem. The only "fix" is "/console reloadui"

Can anyone tell me what the root cause of this type of behavior might be or how to solve it?

My mod, "nUI", can be found at http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=9108

Thanks for any help anyone can provide on this.
07-15-08, 09:17 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
This is a known issue with the game and some video cards, seen on macs most often, but also PCs. MazzleUI is also plagued with it, and I have seen it myself, even with simple texture replacements, like tooltip borders.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-15-08, 10:32 PM   #3
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
This is a known issue with the game and some video cards, seen on macs most often, but also PCs. MazzleUI is also plagued with it, and I have seen it myself, even with simple texture replacements, like tooltip borders.
Cool... thanks... so it's not my code that's at issue then.

/sigh in relief
10-01-08, 01:59 AM   #4
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If its a graphic card issue there is probably nothing that you can do. What helped me on another occasion was a OnShow script. It may not help you here, but its worth a try.

Don't forget to anchor the main frame to UIParent this is important especially for scaling issues.

Code:
    local f = CreateFrame("Frame",nil,UIParent)
    f:SetFrameStrata("BACKGROUND")
    f:SetWidth(200)
    f:SetHeight(200)
    f:SetPoint("CENTER",0,0)
    f:Show()

local t = f:CreateTexture(nil, "BACKGROUND")
    t:SetTexture("PATH\\TO\\MY\\TEXTURE")
    t:SetAllPoints(f)

f:SetScript("OnShow",function() 
      DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("ping")
      t:SetTexture("PATH\\TO\\MY\\TEXTURE")
    end)
The script will become active for example when opening and closing the WordMap and on every other occasion where the UIParent runs the OnShow event.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
06-18-10, 04:29 AM   #5
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Since that stupid spammer's necro'd this thread and I had forgotten the thread even existed, I thought I would post this here in case anyone was searching for a solution to this problem in the future...

Originally Posted by Cesard View Post
Ok, then.... I did some research, and I got it working once more.

Apparently Blizz is messing with stuff having to do with Macs.. They've changed the default value of gxApi to "OpenGL" which is the old value.

I edited the config.wtf file and added the line:

SET gxApi "GLL"

and that fixed it once more.

Now, understand this is for Mac only.. I have no idea what's going on in the PC world regarding this issue, if it's fixed or what. But for Mac users affected by 3.3.2, this fixed it for me.

This should work until Blizz once again changes things.
Originally Posted by Master Redwing View Post
First off, thanks for this ui, it's amazing.

I was having the white bar problem on my Fiancee's Mac, and I tried to add the line SET gxApi "GLL" to the config.wtf file, but the game continually deleted that line, and the problem persisted.
I then tried typing /console set gxapi GLL in chat after logging in to WoW, and it worked like a charm.
Hopefully this helps anybody else stuck with this problem.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Losing textures when switching windowed mode