02-03-10, 03:40 PM   #1
Amenity
HOW-TO: Custom mouse cursors

This is not allowed, per my conversation with Blizzard. Details are posted here. As such, I've removed the information on how to do it. ~ Cairenn

Last edited by Cairenn : 02-24-10 at 03:18 PM. Reason: self-evident ~ Cairenn

02-04-10, 12:51 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
WARNING!

This How-To is bordering on ToS violation territory if not aright violating the WoW ToS..

Blizzard historically had not taken kindly to MPQ hacks of any kind whether it be modifying the existing mpq or adding new "patch" mpqs. These types of changes are picked by Warden and likely will result in your account being flagged.

You may want to take down this How-To until you can verify the legality of what you are doing.

02-04-10, 01:18 AM   #3
Amenity
Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
WARNING!

This How-To is bordering on ToS violation territory if not aright violating the WoW ToS..

Blizzard historically had not taken kindly to MPQ hacks of any kind whether it be modifying the existing mpq or adding new "patch" mpqs. These types of changes are picked by Warden and likely will result in your account being flagged.

You may want to take down this How-To until you can verify the legality of what you are doing.
Alright, I've done so for now (EDIT: It's back up now)...now explain this. I have not once seen anything about adding files being against ToS (unless of course, the obvious cross-faction communication or game automation etc).

Also, I really dislike how you've alluded to this being a "hack". It's not. All this is doing is adding a file that says "Hey WoW, instead of using your own file how about you use this one?" (EDIT: Actually it doesn't even do that. It just exists. WoW is choosing to use it.) In fact, it's really no different than this:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...rrorsound.html

The only thing that's different is that this file is a .MPQ, and that one is an audio file. NO BLIZZARD FILES ARE BEING ALTERED IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.

So perhaps before you villainize someone you should back up your claims with some solid evidence? Innocent until proven guilty...the burden of proof lies on you, not me.

Last edited by Amenity : 02-04-10 at 01:09 PM.

02-04-10, 01:36 AM   #4
Amenity
Actually...I'll take ya one further.

WoW TOS, Section #2:

2. Additional License Limitations. The license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Service or the Game Client in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

A. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience;

B. exploit the Game or any of its parts, including without limitation the Service, for any commercial purpose, including without limitation (a) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other location-based site without the express written consent of Blizzard; (b) for gathering in-game currency, items or resources for sale outside the Game; or (c) performing in-game services in exchange for payment outside the Game, e.g., power-leveling;

C. use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, "mines", or otherwise collects information from or through the Game or the Service, including without limitation any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Game to store information about a character or the game environment; provided, however, that Blizzard may, at its sole and absolute discretion, allow the use of certain third party user interfaces;

D. modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game Client or the Service in any way not expressly authorized by Blizzard;

E. host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or the Service, or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation unauthorized play over the internet, network play, or as part of content aggregation networks;

F. facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation (a) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; and (b) any connection using programs or tools not expressly approved by Blizzard; or

G. disrupt or assist in the disruption of (i) any computer used to support the Service (each a "Server"); or (ii) any other player's Game experience. ANY ATTEMPT BY YOU TO DISRUPT THE SERVICE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE GAME CLIENT MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. You agree that you will not violate any applicable law or regulation in connection with your use of the Game Client or the Service.
None of this in any way applies to this. I am not modifying, removing, copying, or otherwise messing with the WoW client or anything contained within it in any way. I'm not even using anything they've created. Everything in this how-to is user-created with 3rd-party tools, and all it is are some .BLPs in an archive.

Also (Section #17, subsection A):

AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE THAT, WHEN USED SIMULTANEOUSLY OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE GAME, WOULD CONSTITUTE A VIOLATION OF SECTIONS 1, 2 OR 9.
Section #2 we just covered. Section #9 deals with how you conduct yourself in-game with others (The Code of Conduct), and Section #1 is the usual "you may only use for noncommercial purposes" clause. Also, I need to point out that this isn't a program. It's not like an addon..it's just raster graphics.

I've been known to be wrong on occasion, and in the event I am here I will admit it. It's not looking like I am, though.

02-04-10, 01:55 AM   #5
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

This technique of overriding (not just adding) files is how model edits work. Model edits are very much hacks, and are often used to modify in-game geometry or other off-limits data. No one is accusing the cursor graphics of being hacks, but I wouldn't trust Blizzard's anti-cheat program to be as smart as you or I. It may simply see the extra MPQ and assume the worst. That's where all this caution comes from.

Granted, real model edits are locked down much tighter by Blizzard and require a lot more effort to get working. The fact that this cursor patch file works without any extra effort almost convinces me that it's safe. It's still a big risk to assume how Blizzard's anti-cheat works though.

The only 100% safe thing to do is put a suggestion in on Blizzard's forums. Ask for a GetCursor API to return the current cursor graphic, and mods will be able to replace cursors easily.

02-04-10, 01:55 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Amenity View Post
Actually...I'll take ya one further.

WoW TOS, Section #2:

None of this in any way applies to this. I am not modifying, removing, copying, or otherwise messing with the WoW client or anything contained within it in any way. I'm not even using anything they've created. Everything in this how-to is user-created with 3rd-party tools, and all it is are some .BLPs in an archive.
Folks who alter their character's models can argue the same thing, yet Blizzard has cracked down on them. Players should not be messing with anything in the Data folder as at best, it's a ToS violation grey area. I have been around the WoW community almost from the very start and I have seen Blizzard go after people who mess with the game's files (even just "adding to them"). The only legitimate files that we the players can mess with are those in the Interface, WTF, and Fonts folders. However the Data folder is a ToS minefield.

I am sorry if you feel that I reacted too strongly however I have seen these things come and go usually with Blizzard snapping at their heels. Blizzard is very protective of all aspects of their games. In the case of WoW, that goes for the mpq files. I do not want to see people getting one shotted by the Banhammer because they used an innocent change to something like their mouse cursor.

We do not know what Warden (the anti-cheat program) picks up on, however from what I have seen, it generates a hash based on what it finds and then compares it to what it expects to find. Additional mpq files will alter that hash (thus the comparison is not what Warden expects to find) and thus your account will be flagged. Whether or not and how Blizzard decides to act on the flagged account is up to them.

As the previous poster stated, the safest way is to get in contact with Blizzard and ask for a legitimate way of changing the cursor such as the OP's idea of a GetCursor API for mods to hook into.

If you are ever in doubt on whether or not something is kosher to post here on WoWI (such as your guide), email the WoWI staff. They don't bite (that I know of).

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-04-10 at 02:02 AM.

02-04-10, 02:11 AM   #7
Amenity
Originally Posted by Saiket View Post
This technique of overriding (not just adding) files is how model edits work. Model edits are very much hacks, and are often used to modify in-game geometry or other off-limits data. No one is accusing the cursor graphics of being hacks, but I wouldn't trust Blizzard's anti-cheat program to be as smart as you or I. It may simply see the extra MPQ and assume the worst. That's where all this caution comes from.
Ok, this argument I can understand. Sort of. You kinda argue against yourself here:
Granted, real model edits are locked down much tighter by Blizzard and require a lot more effort to get working. The fact that this cursor patch file works without any extra effort almost convinces me that it's safe. It's still a big risk to assume how Blizzard's anti-cheat works though.
Exactly. It's Blizzard's own work that's causing their own cursors to be overridden by ones I put in an additional file. By comparison, addons do this intentionally all the time with no ill will.

The only 100% safe thing to do is put a suggestion in on Blizzard's forums. Ask for a GetCursor API to return the current cursor graphic, and mods will be able to replace cursors easily.
True, that is the only way to be 100% safe. It's also the way to be 100% ignored, just like everyone else who posts in there. Call me dangerous, but I can live with being 99% safe.

And Zyonin...did you even read the initial post? Or for that matter, ANYTHING I've posted in this thread? You're still spouting the same crap with nothing to back it up. HOW is this a "ToS 'grey area'"? WHO said so? WHERE in the legal documents does it state as much? WHEN has something like this (where NO BLIZZARD STUFF IS BEING TOUCHED) ever led to any action whatsoever?

To be honest, it looks like you took one glance a the top of the first post, saw "MPQ Editor", and immediately flew into action.

02-04-10, 02:18 AM   #8
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Why modeledit's are illegal BTW, is not because of the cosmetic changes, but you can also edit the terrain. Which means(and this has happened) that you can create a path to GM Island. I don't think that Warden will actually scan your injected .MPQ file and see wether it's a terrain edit, model edit or cursor edit, I think he will just kick your butt.

02-04-10, 02:27 AM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

And Zyonin...did you even read the initial post? Or for that matter, ANYTHING I've posted in this thread? You're still spouting the same crap with nothing to back it up. HOW is this a "ToS 'grey area'"? WHO said so? WHERE in the legal documents does it state as much? WHEN has something like this (where NO BLIZZARD STUFF IS BEING TOUCHED) ever led to any action whatsoever?

To be honest, it looks like you took one glance a the top of the first post, saw "MPQ Editor", and immediately flew into action.
Yes, I did read the intial post. At first I was OK with it until you get to the point of using a "Patch MPQ". Then that is when the red flag went up. As mentioned by Nightcracker and myself, Warden will see the new mpq. The hash that is generated when Warden does it's scan is not correct. Warden sees that incorrect scan and your account is flagged. Warden doesn't care that your mpq doesn't modify what you term as "Blizzard Stuff". It just sees a file that should not be there.

New MPQ = Warden flag = possible unwanted attention from Blizzard.

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-04-10 at 02:30 AM.

02-04-10, 02:29 AM   #10
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Yes, I did read the intial post. At first I was OK with it until you get to the point of using a "Patch MPQ". Then that is when the red flag went up. As mentioned by Nightcracker and myself, Warden will see the new mpq. The that is returned is not correct and your account is flagged. Warden doesn't care that your mpq doesn't modify what you term as "Blizzard Stuff". It just sees an file that should not be there and "phones home".

New MPQ = Warden flag = possible unwanted attention from Blizzard.
I agree with everything except the last sentence. I should be this:

New MPQ = Warden flag = sadly enough no attention from blizzard and instead an autoban

02-04-10, 02:29 AM   #11
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Ok, this argument I can understand. Sort of. You kinda argue against yourself here:
-snip-
Exactly. It's Blizzard's own work that's causing their own cursors to be overridden by ones I put in an additional file. By comparison, addons do this intentionally all the time with no ill will.
I'm leaving out parts of the story on purpose, since this is an official Blizzard Fan Site, and the mods would be obligated to delete any post detailing how model edits work. Patch MPQs that modify geometry or other client data require hacks be run alongside WoW to fool the game into using them. The MPQ package is what might confuse Warden, Blizzard's cheat detector. The things Warden looks for change frequently and without warning too, so I would still be wary of overriding MPQs.

If you don't think you'd be heard in the Suggestions forum, you might want to try the UI Developer's Suggestions and Questions thread on the UI & Macro forum. I like to imagine that Slouken still reads it.

02-04-10, 02:31 AM   #12
Amenity
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
Why modeledit's are illegal BTW, is not because of the cosmetic changes, but you can also edit the terrain. Which means(and this has happened) that you can create a path to GM Island. I don't think that Warden will actually scan your injected .MPQ file and see wether it's a terrain edit, model edit or cursor edit, I think he will just kick your butt.
Uhh...yeah. I don't even think GM Island exists anymore. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a GM character in-game since before BC came out (last time I can remember was somewhere around AQ).

Anyway, if this were true then Warden would ban me if I made a blank .MPQ with nothing in it and tossed it into my data directory. Hell, it wouldn't even have to be a "real" .MPQ...I could just write "SKEET" 450,000 times in a .txt file and rename it to "SKEET.MPQ" and get banned.

I don't think so.

02-04-10, 02:33 AM   #13
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Uhh...yeah. I don't even think GM Island exists anymore. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a GM character in-game since before BC came out (last time I can remember was somewhere around AQ).

Anyway, if this were true then Warden would ban me if I made a blank .MPQ with nothing in it and tossed it into my data directory. Hell, it wouldn't even have to be a "real" .MPQ...I could just write "SKEET" 450,000 times in a .txt file and rename it to "SKEET.MPQ" and get banned.

I don't think so.
GM Island is still around. You usually don't see GMs as many of them operate in invisible mode as they have a lot to do, there are not that many GMs compared to players and the GMs don't need distractions from players. GMs do operate remotely (usually via the ticket system) as they have the commands in their GM clients to deal with many situations remotely. However they do appear from time to time when their physical presence is needed.

And yes, if you made a blank MPQ with nothing it, it will be picked up by Warden and the account flagged. If you want to play tag with Warden, go ahead, it's your account.

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-04-10 at 02:36 AM.

02-04-10, 02:36 AM   #14
Amenity
Originally Posted by Saiket View Post
I'm leaving out parts of the story on purpose, since this is an official Blizzard Fan Site, and the mods would be obligated to delete any post detailing how model edits work. Patch MPQs that modify geometry or other client data require hacks be run alongside WoW to fool the game into using them. The MPQ package is what might confuse Warden, Blizzard's cheat detector. The things Warden looks for change frequently and without warning too, so I would still be wary of overriding MPQs.
I believe you misunderstood me. I wasn't confused.

It's this:
Patch MPQs that modify geometry or other client data require hacks be run alongside WoW to fool the game into using them.
THAT's the key difference here. Now whether Warden is a bumbling SKEET-banning idiot...I don't know. I would tend to think not, though...mainly because this would leave Blizzard with a rather large legal hole should they be asked to provide proof that a user was breaking the ToS.

**EDIT: Going to bed. I'd like to see some actual evidence to one side or the other by the time I get back to you. So far all I've got is conjecture and prediction. It's been over 5 years...surely there's some precedent here?

**EDIT #2: Just had to get this out right quick:

And yes, if you made a blank MPQ with nothing it, it will be picked up by Warden and the account flagged. If you want to play tag with Warden, go ahead, it's your account.
How do you know what Warden does/flags/picks up? Again...you're using weasel terminology to make this look like it's "clearly" an illegal hack (and at the same time making me out to be an idiot).

Last edited by Amenity : 02-04-10 at 02:40 AM.

02-04-10, 03:36 AM   #15
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Warden adding a flag doesnt mean your automatically banned. It means the system is alerted. What happens from there is entirely up to blizzard.

In the end its a risk. You can choose to take it based on what you feel is correct and that is your choice. Though i will agree that until you have a definitive answer from blizzard about this, it is best to leave out the tutorial on how it is done.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

02-04-10, 04:48 AM   #16
Kupotek
An Aku'mai Servant

I've used a custom patch cursor for 2 years, I asked a GM and he said it was alright, but Blizzard could do what they want so use at your own risk. The fact is Blizzard has not come out and said it's bad so I see no reason to worry about it. It's a custom cursor for God's sakes people! Get a grip.

Blizzard will *NEVER* state whether it's okay or not because they don't like to be held to policy.
The fact that they have not said it's bad though should be clear enough that it's not.

Again, I've been using a patched cursor for over 2 years and never been hassled. And I've spoken to a GM about it
and TOLD him I was using it, and never been hassled.

Last edited by Kupotek : 02-04-10 at 04:50 AM.

02-04-10, 09:01 AM   #17
Jooze
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I asked a GM and he said it was alright,
GMs don't have a clue. There used to be another way to replace certain game art by putting files in the Interface folder that was removed.

I knew about MPQs and was uncertain of their legality. I talked to a GM who told me that while it might not be a violation of the ToU, Blizz can still cancel my account for it if they want and suggested I better remove the MPQ instead of risking it.

Conclusion:

1) Two GMs contradicting each other, usually means they have no clue/internal policy for these kind of things

2) One of the GMs is correct, the other one is wrong. I didn't see your GM conversation but I can say that the GM i talked to at least seemed to have a clue about what I was talking about.

02-04-10, 11:10 AM   #18
Kupotek
An Aku'mai Servant

Still, it's a cursor, and I'm not sweating it. I love my custom cursor.
Here's a screenshot of the cursor I put together.

02-04-10, 12:52 PM   #19
Amenity
Very nice, Kupo! As I told ya in my email, I dig it.

Oh, and thought I'd interject a little something in here: a blue post.

ZOMG WTF BBQ LOL, someone actually PROVIDING SOEM DATAZ???!?!

Yes...because instead of blind fear-mongering like the rest of you, I decided to read.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...eNo=1&sid=1#17

If you're lazy (which you are, obviously):

Once and for all, Herokorishi, modifying or otherwise editing in-game models (save for those related to one's user interface) is strictly prohibited by the Terms of Use (Section 2.C.), and may result in repercussions up to and including the termination of the account in question.
(Thank you Kamdis for bringing this to public attention)

Besides, did any of you stop to think for just one second that maybe there's a reason this works? Blizzard is fully capable of blocking this type of action (as they've done on numerous occasions with actual "model edits"). We're able to change all kinds of other stuff in the user interface by simply adding files (anyone seen AI-Art?) and nobody has ever asked questions about it. We even change in-game sounds by inserting our own audio files into the Data directory tree with no worries. In fact, I don't see how this doesn't apply to the existing addon common practice of "if Blizzard allows it to happen and it's not altering the game client, it's perfectly legal". I'd stake my account on it...with two geared 80s and a third 80 on its' way, and my sentimental vanilla WoW T2-geared PvP-title-holding Druid.

But no...I come along with a simple, safe, and effective way to change mouse cursors that is in no way violating the ToS (try reading the damn thing) and get jumped on.

I guess that's the privilege the "UI community elite" get around here. I haven't written any life-changing 100k+ download addons and aren't buddy-buddy with the site administration here so it's perfectly acceptable for all sorts of blind misinformed accusations to be tossed my way with no repercussions whatsoever. I mean, you're the ones bringing in the site traffic and the advertisement dollars so they have to cater to your whim.

Don't worry...you won't have to put up with my "annoyances" much longer.

02-04-10, 02:12 PM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's enough! Don't make me put you in separate corners!

While you may feel that Zyonin's post was meant to turn you into a bad guy, that is not the case. Zyonin's post was meant to avoid any unwanted repercussions as a result of your publicly available tutorial.

And, no, it hasn't been said that editing the cursors in this way is "legal". GM's aren't allowed/don't know 100% what is legal or not. Pavonum, the blue you quoted, is a GM. You can add his response to those of the other two GMs listed in this thread. All you have is two for and one against. And you will find many, many more varying GM responses on the subject. None of which are definitive or make something "legal".

Even Pavonum's response could be interpreted as referring to regular Interface overrides (in the Interface folder), since he specifically said "user interface". Kaone (another GM) also replied to that thread, quoting the relevant section of the Terms of Use (2.B.), saying:
The answer is a complete no. It is not ok. You may not change the art or models used in the World of Warcraft client in any form and doing so will place your account at risk. This is covered in the Terms of Use.
But, again, he's just a GM and doesn't have a definitive say about interpretation of the TOU/TOS.

The old way for cursors to be overridden was via a CURSORS folder in the Interface folder (the normal way of overriding interface textures). This ability was **removed** by Blizzard a few patches ago. The change to .mpq files is nothing new, but people stayed away from it because of a) the risk to your account for doing so, and b) the ability to change cursors via an "accepted" manner was available.

The question is (and has been since that patch) "Why did Blizzard take away that way to change our cursors?"

Also, Blizzard is free to apply their TOS/TOU as they see fit, and change it as they see fit. Just because Kupotek has been changing his for 2 years with no repercussions, doesn't mean that Blizz won't decide to take action later.

TL;DR: no one knows if your tutorial is "legal" or not except the people at Blizzard that call the shots and make the rules. And whether they choose to let us know is up to them. If they say that changing cursors in the .mpqs is "legal", then that opens the flood gates for other edits/questions. The answer to these questions is **always** to err on the side of caution and "don't do it."

One last thing.
I guess that's the privilege the "UI community elite" get around here. I haven't written any life-changing 100k+ download addons and aren't buddy-buddy with the site administration here so it's perfectly acceptable for all sorts of blind misinformed accusations to be tossed my way with no repercussions whatsoever. I mean, you're the ones bringing in the site traffic and the advertisement dollars so they have to cater to your whim.
This is the second time that you have made an accusation like this. I suggest you reanalyze your opinion.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 02-04-10 at 02:27 PM. Reason: edited wording of a sentence

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » HOW-TO: Custom mouse cursors