07-29-14, 09:03 AM   #1
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
blp quality loss

I've looked at the various threads in this subforum and none of them really addressed my specific issue. My main goal is using blp as texture replacements (in the Interface folder), not in an addon, so I do need to use the blp format and can't use tga.

My main problem is a loss in quality when I convert png into blp. See attachment. My main method of conversion is BLP2PNG, but I've also tried using this Photoshop Plug-in, and also saving as a 32-bit tga and converting it to blp. All of these methods produce the same amount of quality loss, even when the source is 32-bit.

Is this just a problem native the the blp format, or is there some other conversion method I can use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blpthing.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	8158  
07-29-14, 11:10 AM   #2
Gethe
RealUI Developer

Premium Member
Featured
I've been using Blpc for conversion. It allows you to choose the compression method (e.g. Raw) in order to get the best results.

07-29-14, 11:46 AM   #3
Duugu
Premium Member

Dito for http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Converter.html.
It provides an option to specify the compression.
07-29-14, 01:50 PM   #4
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Thank you both for the responses. I've tried both of those programs out just now.

With Blpc the dxt 1, 3, 5 formats all saved fine and I can view them fine in XnView and Photoshop. Unfortunately raw1 showed nothing at all, and raw3 was corrupted when I tried to open them in XnView or PS (see attachment). I CAN view them within Blpc itself and they do show up in WoW. But I think being unable to view them outside of Blpc is rather odd. Any suggestions?

With BLPNG Converter I had the same issues. The indexed (256 color) and dxt compression saved and viewed fine, but the uncompressed had the same corruption found in the raw3 above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blpthing2.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	8159  
07-29-14, 02:34 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by sakurakira View Post
With BLPNG Converter I had the same issues. The indexed (256 color) and dxt compression saved and viewed fine, but the uncompressed had the same corruption found in the raw3 above.
I've noticed that many BLPs produced by BLPNG Converter appear corrupted in the Windows thumbnail preview, but they've all worked fine in WoW, so I'd tend to blame the preview handler, not the converter, for that particular issue.
10-22-14, 08:10 AM   #6
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

For that image, I'd suggest Indexed mode, with 8-bit alpha if it has a drop shadow. Don't confuse the BLPs Indexed format with the limitations of a gif, as it's palette is only limited by the number of colors, and not which colors. So if you have a red button, all 256 colors could be a shade of red ...and so on.

DXT is a lossy format - a great way of keeping colorful model and object textures small and looking good, but it's absolutely horrible at interface elements where every pixel counts.

Obviously No compression would also give you a great result - but it would be the equivalent of using a BMP, and the massive file size that goes with it.

As far as the viewer goes - as well as BLP2PNG, there's one format combination they don't support. Which is the main reason I made BLPNG in the first place. The Corruption on the other hand, I'm not sure of the cause, and unless BLP Viewer has source code available, I'd have no way of knowing for sure.
10-22-14, 08:14 AM   #7
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I have to say BLP2PNG is the one to consider. I have been using it for months now. I have never had an issue with it. Images turn out great in-game.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » blp quality loss