05-02-11, 11:37 AM   #1
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Green textures

Since patch textures seem to be bugged. It can happen that a texture will not be found (which was found before patch) and is diplayed in light green color.

Examples:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...kg-panels.aspx

I looked through the kg panel comments but found nothing helpful. I don't have the issue, but some users reported errors.

Anyone got this or a clue?

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
05-03-11, 06:01 AM   #2
hankthetank
A Theradrim Guardian
Does it happen after you tab out of the game? Is it displayed correctly after a reload?
05-03-11, 12:39 PM   #3
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The problem is I don't have the issue, so I don'T know. But having PSD and TGA files of the same name in the directory seems to cause troubles aswell. Removing the PSD from the folder solves it.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
05-03-11, 02:25 PM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have the same thing happening to one of my personal addons. The flder contains both PNG and TGA versions of the same texture file. Further defining the textrue path as ".tga" as noted in some Blizzard code doesn't seem to do anything.

Edit: I've noticed in the LCDXML for Logitech's color GamePanel refers to loading PNG battleground maps. I've tried loading 8, 24, and 32-bit PNGs into a UI texture object and none of them were successful.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 05-03-11 at 02:38 PM.
05-03-11, 03:27 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
kagaro figured out the problem:
http://forums.wowace.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1248
here is the issue, since 4.1 if the .tga in question isnt in a directory containing a loaded addon, the game api wont always load it. part of thier new memory management. I had the same issue with an icon till i dropped it into an addon which would load (I used my own texture pack, to add it to libsharedmedia directly
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-03-11, 04:22 PM   #6
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Which means from now on having one "media" folder for all your addons is a bad idea? Unless you make it load some TOC/LUA containing ... basically nothing?

Awesome -.-

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

05-03-11, 04:43 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Sounds like it. All you would need is a .toc with the same file name as your folder.

MyTextureFolder.toc
Code:
##Interface: 40100
##Title: My Textures
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-04-11, 12:08 AM   #8
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
kagaro figured out the problem:
http://forums.wowace.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1248
here is the issue, since 4.1 if the .tga in question isnt in a directory containing a loaded addon, the game api wont always load it. part of thier new memory management. I had the same issue with an icon till i dropped it into an addon which would load (I used my own texture pack, to add it to libsharedmedia directly
I don't know about the OP, but all of my image files are in the root directory of the addon. In my case, the game didn't like me having both the PNG and TGA files of the same name, I renamed the PNG source file (example name.png to name-src.png), restarted the game client, and it loaded fine afterward.
05-04-11, 02:10 AM   #9
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yeah I think you need to do both. Only use TGA files in the folder (no other PSD, PNG with the same names) and create a TOC. Hopefully that will do it.
Textures are loaded into memory. They always require a game client restart. (If you want to load new ones)

But I'm not sure if that really does the job. Because some reporting renaming textures or resaving them fixes the issue aswell. So just copying them somewhere (luckily in an addon folder) may have produced the same behaviour and can be false-interpreted as fix.

Last edited by zork : 05-04-11 at 02:28 AM.
05-04-11, 12:36 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
SDPhantom - did your file path to those questions (through your addon/whatever) include their file extension? Previously, you could leave that off, and WoW would just use whichever one it could "read".

05-04-11, 01:40 PM   #11
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by zork View Post
Textures are loaded into memory. They always require a game client restart. (If you want to load new ones)
This is true with all files recognized with the game client. The first thing I do after adding a new file or changing the path of an existing one (moving or renaming) is restart the game client.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
SDPhantom - did your file path to those questions (through your addon/whatever) include their file extension? Previously, you could leave that off, and WoW would just use whichever one it could "read".
I had Circle.png and Circle.tga in the root of folder of my addon called Eyez. There were no subdirectories at all. Originally, the path referred to in the XML file was "Interface\AddOns\Eyez\Circle". During my testing, I changed this to read "Interface\AddOns\Eyez\Circle.tga" and it made no difference. It still attempted to load the PNG file and failed.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 05-04-11 at 01:54 PM.
05-04-11, 04:11 PM   #12
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
I wonder if this is a first step to allow png
05-05-11, 05:34 PM   #13
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Does it happen with BLP, too?

So far I had no issues, still have my textures (BLP, TGA) in a separate folder without a TOC attached. Weird.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

05-06-11, 12:37 AM   #14
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't deal with BLP files honestly. I create my textures using Macromedia Fireworks, which saves as a custom format PNG. I export as a 32-bit PNG then use GIMP to convert it to TGA. I have a CLI converter program to convert PNG to BLP, but I never got to using it, even though it would take less steps to convert to BLP than TGA.
05-06-11, 07:56 AM   #15
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I use BLP2PNG. I keep it on my desktop, create a PNG, then drag the PNG file onto the icon of BLP2PNG. Viola! A blp is created in the same directory as the png. Works for batch processing as well.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Green textures