06-11-09, 01:27 PM   #41
Tearstar
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
Even if you would argue it is still a copyrighted work, you can leave it intact, unpack addon into /foo/foo/ and make your own foo.toc file loading proper lua files from /foo/.
This is starting to look like the best option.

Magelo Profile
My Myspace
My Youtube Channel

My First Video I made for my kids - please comment and/or rate

06-11-09, 02:38 PM   #42
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Tearstar View Post
I had considered all of these issues and had considered something to this effect

## Title: HUD

## Title: UnitFrame

## Title: HunterMod

## Title Healz+ | Priest/Druid
But to be honest I like the idea of the "Bolt on Packs" or Plug-in Idea.

Now doing it this way, it should still keep the saved variables and layout design I set it up with with my WTF included correct?

Even doing it with the bolt on packs, I'd still like to colorize the Core addons by type, but this will cut the list down to where I maybe able to pm those authors.

I'll look into that, any other ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Yes each "Bolt-on pack" would contain the standard Interface and WTF folders set up. When the user drops the folder into their existing Interface and WTF folders, provided they don't have those AddOns already installed (they shouldn't if they are installing a new UI), then Windows/OS X will simply write those files on the disc (with the usual "This is what I am going to do, do you really want this?" warning from their OS). Using the plug-in idea allows the user to download the bits they want and also helps your host's bandwidth since every user does have to download the whole enchilada just to get, for example, a Priest UI.
06-11-09, 10:15 PM   #43
Samsan
An Aku'mai Servant

My humblest apologies.

I do apologize as I was of the understanding that the addons would have been turned on or off in the game after logon similar to Addon Control Panel and not in the character screen. Loading 300+ addons would slow the system down considerably so I can see the dilemma.

One suggestion would be to create a small program that installs only the addons you want with a preview of each in HTML or something completely independent of the game with a check box list or the like but that would be a large task to do and require a form of programming. I also didn't realize there were so many in the package. It would be huge to download... but that's another issue to look at later, in the meantime hope it works out for you.
06-11-09, 11:52 PM   #44
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
OpenRDX may feet your need.

Only one addon to replace many ones.

Use the desktop feature to switch your UI depend your spec, if you are solo, group, raid, pvp or arena.

Switching a UI don't need a ReloadUI.
http://files.filefront.com/OpenRDX7+.../fileinfo.html

OpenRDX for dummies :
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21934
06-12-09, 01:55 AM   #45
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Hirsute View Post
Some license, like the LGPL, however, are not quite as open, so you'll want to check what rights the license permits to the users and what rights it reserves for the author specifically, rather than making assumptions due to the "type" of license it is.
LGPL is not as quite open? I want some weed you smoke - main difference between the GPL and the LGPL is that the you can link LGPL stuff with your commercial soft without making your soft GPL licensed aswell.

In terms of WoW addons: if let's say Ace2 was GPL licensed, then everyone who uses it in their addons would have to release them under GPL license. In case of LGPL you can use it and keep your addon under "I'm greedy, you can't do anything with it" licenses.
06-12-09, 05:39 AM   #46
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

In case of LGPL you can use it and keep your addon under "I'm greedy, you can't do anything with it" licenses.
How about "I'm not interested in allowing people to take what I spent a metric asston of time on, renaming it, and claiming all of the credit." I'm all for open source in most cases, but it seems many of the supporters of the concept are perpetually rabid. How I'm being "greedy" when I'm making absolutely no money is beyond my ken.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
06-12-09, 06:59 AM   #47
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

In case of LGPL you can use it and keep your addon under "I have enough headaches, I don't want to chase down bug reports for bugs I did not create" licenses.
There. Fixt.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
06-14-09, 03:53 AM   #48
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Maul View Post
There. Fixt.
I've found a bug in your fix, there is fix fix:
In case of LGPL you can use it and keep your addon under "I want to give more headaches for the people willing to improve and extend my work" licenses.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » AddOn Authors Permission Needed in Bulk