04-30-09, 01:49 PM   #21
Elastoplast
A Murloc Raider
Great news - and many thanks to the devs!

On a side note, I installed Carbonite last night for the first ever time (strangely enough, I've played WoW since launch but never heard of it). Within a few minutes I recognised the pure quality of the add-on, just how useful it is, and just how many other add-ons I could delete now, and donated straight away.

Never a more worthy few pounds (would have been more if I hadn't lost my job a couple of months ago) have I spent for quite some time.

Hats off to the Carb team for a mod that oozes quality and usefulness - the killer app of WoW add-ons!

/me wipes brown off nose.

04-30-09, 06:53 PM   #22
bozothecrayon
A Murloc Raider

suspense is killing me! kinda... at least i am checking before i log wow every time

05-01-09, 10:36 AM   #23
Silverloch
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
In order to object, Blizzard would have to ascertain that the gift was either purchased, or extended the feature set of the mod for which a donation was given (i.e. implying that donated-for mod was somehow crippled).

There's absolutely nothing in the new policy that stipulates that mod authors cannot exclusively share their creations freely with whomever they choose, be they guild members, friends, family or anyone called Keith or Dougal. And who's to say Keith get's the same thing as Dougal?

Even if someone reports back to Blizzard, what can they say? "I donated to this mod .. and I got this completely unrelated, unadvertised mod/beta/thing for free". Even then Blizzard can't be sure that it's related to donations as mod authors aren't likely to make private financial transactions public record.

Blizzard is left twisting in the wind wondering what's a public / private release, free / gift, beta / non-beta etc. And it's all compliant with the new policy too. See my coach? See my horses? See me drive them through these legal courses? In the immortal worlds of those jolly american cowboy types, "Yeee haaawwww!"

And it serves them all right. Let them twist. I remember the day when Warcraft was released in a way that you and a friend or two could play it via a lan... with ONE cd. I can tell you by personal experience that the very fact they were willing to do that made me want to play their game. My how far they have fallen in my estimation. The freewill and autonomy that was (and maybe still is somewhere submerged in their collective unconscious), a cornerstone of all things Blizzard, has been so twisted by their legal team that there is a growing anger in the Wow community. There once was a day when Free will, and Good will went hand in hand with Bliz.

Back in the day bliz came out with the innovative marketting strat, I for one decided that this was a game I was going to buy as opposed to hack and copy. The philosophy paid off for Bliz as their huge windfall profits surprised everyone. My feelings of loyalty and support for them resonated throughout the gaming community. I hope that Faatal, and his company were surprised by their profitability. (though that might be a bit out there) Really, it was in sympathetic vibration, with the field of entrepreneurship that was at the heart of Bliz once upon a time. What probably surprised them was that Carbonite and NUI did such a profoundly better job at the way the Blizzard game could be played, that they felt embarrassed. Despite earning now hundreds of millions of dollars, the entrepreneurship of a couple small companies demonstrated the profound lack of support and R&D that a company of Blizzard's ilk should be producing, that these new upstarts became a perceived threat.

What shoudl have been done, in my opinion, instead of trying to torpedo these amazing entrepreneurs, they should have approched them to buy them out. A few tens of millions of dollars, would that interest you Faatal? Almost nothing but a blip for Blizzard, a theoretical 3.8 could include a hugely upgraded interface with hardly any real cost to this behemoth. Any one ever hear about Microsoft Windows?? Hello Blizz are you paying attention?

Silverloch

Ok I am done ranting. Quote what ever you like, these are my original thoughts. Not arriving from dredging forums,
apart from this one, I troll none. Please if you want to quote me, include my handle.

Cheers!

PS, if Blizz ever sees the light... invite me to the party!

05-01-09, 03:24 PM   #24
Martinus
An Aku'mai Servant
/rp on

Haavok strapped on a chair.

"Bring her in. We must know"

The mistress comes in and make her whip crack.

She say "If he wont talk now, i'll get him in his sleep".

/rp off

Can't wait to see what you are cooking

Martinus

P.S. I'll take back my Succubus when she is done with you

05-01-09, 08:05 PM   #25
digitalnoise
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Silverloch View Post
And it serves them all right. Let them twist. I remember the day when Warcraft was released in a way that you and a friend or two could play it via a lan... with ONE cd. I can tell you by personal experience that the very fact they were willing to do that made me want to play their game. My how far they have fallen in my estimation. The freewill and autonomy that was (and maybe still is somewhere submerged in their collective unconscious), a cornerstone of all things Blizzard, has been so twisted by their legal team that there is a growing anger in the Wow community. There once was a day when Free will, and Good will went hand in hand with Bliz.

Back in the day bliz came out with the innovative marketting strat, I for one decided that this was a game I was going to buy as opposed to hack and copy. The philosophy paid off for Bliz as their huge windfall profits surprised everyone. My feelings of loyalty and support for them resonated throughout the gaming community. I hope that Faatal, and his company were surprised by their profitability. (though that might be a bit out there) Really, it was in sympathetic vibration, with the field of entrepreneurship that was at the heart of Bliz once upon a time. What probably surprised them was that Carbonite and NUI did such a profoundly better job at the way the Blizzard game could be played, that they felt embarrassed. Despite earning now hundreds of millions of dollars, the entrepreneurship of a couple small companies demonstrated the profound lack of support and R&D that a company of Blizzard's ilk should be producing, that these new upstarts became a perceived threat.

What shoudl have been done, in my opinion, instead of trying to torpedo these amazing entrepreneurs, they should have approched them to buy them out. A few tens of millions of dollars, would that interest you Faatal? Almost nothing but a blip for Blizzard, a theoretical 3.8 could include a hugely upgraded interface with hardly any real cost to this behemoth. Any one ever hear about Microsoft Windows?? Hello Blizz are you paying attention?

Silverloch

Ok I am done ranting. Quote what ever you like, these are my original thoughts. Not arriving from dredging forums,
apart from this one, I troll none. Please if you want to quote me, include my handle.

Cheers!

PS, if Blizz ever sees the light... invite me to the party!
Honestly, I think we can squarely blame Activision for these developments.

Activision's CEO proudly proclaims that he doesn't play games, has never played games, and doesn't care about games - all he's there to do is make as much money as possible. Blizzard's recent shifts would follow this logic.

Activision has pretty much run every single franchise they've ever owned into the ground, and I'm quite honestly afraid that WoW is next.

05-02-09, 07:41 AM   #26
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by digitalnoise View Post
Honestly, I think we can squarely blame Activision for these developments.

Activision's CEO proudly proclaims that he doesn't play games, has never played games, and doesn't care about games - all he's there to do is make as much money as possible. Blizzard's recent shifts would follow this logic.

Activision has pretty much run every single franchise they've ever owned into the ground, and I'm quite honestly afraid that WoW is next.
**cough** Guitar Hero **cough**

05-07-09, 08:16 PM   #27
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

We a pleased to announce our new feature voting system.

Details here

05-08-09, 05:16 AM   #28
Strayed
A Murloc Raider
Bit of an anti climax there.

05-08-09, 06:59 AM   #29
Kortanis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Ha, I'm not the only one then. Sure I used my vote immediately, but I would have anyway regardless of supporter status. However, as the title suggests, it is something 'interesting'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is a unique and thoroughly designed system, so good job to the team.
Korrine - Human Deathknight
Saenerus - Night Elf Druid
Mehkran - Gnomish Rogue
Khaalor - Draenei Shaman

05-08-09, 09:27 AM   #30
kelshir
A Murloc Raider

Wink Nice :)

Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
We a pleased to announce our new feature voting system.

Details here
I actually like this idea, and it is very clever.

You cannot make people pay for a premium version, but now they can essentially "pay" for an update of their choice, even though everyone benefits.

Very nice and very clever

Please support these two great addons and donate today.

05-08-09, 09:29 AM   #31
Spectral2k
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I get a page cannot be found error when I click the vote link.

05-08-09, 09:56 AM   #32
Haavok

Originally Posted by Kortanis View Post
Ha, I'm not the only one then. Sure I used my vote immediately, but I would have anyway regardless of supporter status. However, as the title suggests, it is something 'interesting'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It is a unique and thoroughly designed system, so good job to the team.
Votes only count for people that have donated or subscribed and each dollar counts as a vote. If you are not a 'supporter' your vote would be discarded.

This isn't the only supporter incentive we are working on. It all takes time which is a scarce commodity for us these days.

05-08-09, 09:56 AM   #33
Haavok

Originally Posted by Spectral2k View Post
I get a page cannot be found error when I click the vote link.
What browser are you using?

05-08-09, 10:52 AM   #34
Spectral2k
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
What browser are you using?
I'm using Firefox. I've just tried in IE and the page is loading fine so it defintely seems to be a browser issue. Whether that is isolated to my PC or Firefox in general I don't know.

Edit: Solved it, seems for some reason 3rd party cookies were being blocked. I allowed them and its now loading fine.

05-09-09, 03:44 AM   #35
Yelina
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Spectral2k View Post
I'm using Firefox. I've just tried in IE and the page is loading fine so it defintely seems to be a browser issue. Whether that is isolated to my PC or Firefox in general I don't know.

Edit: Solved it, seems for some reason 3rd party cookies were being blocked. I allowed them and its now loading fine.
I also can't open it in FF. The 3rd party cookies are allowed. So its a still a browser issue

05-09-09, 07:24 AM   #36
Sythalin
Curse staff

Using FF here. Was able to access just fine.

05-09-09, 10:05 AM   #37
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I use the latest Firefox, which is what I used to test the voting system. Haavok uses the IE thing , which is what he used to test it. I will need to disable 3rd party cookies and test, but it does not even use cookies, so I don't know why that would be a problem.

05-09-09, 03:32 PM   #38
Spectral2k
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I just tried again with them disabled and it worked now, so it was just a coincidence it started working when I enabled them. No idea what the problem was though. It worked in IE but not in FF then a while later started working in FF.

05-10-09, 04:30 AM   #39
Wolfje63
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Is there a way to see the results of the votes?
Or is this a closed voting system.

Thanks for the system, it gives a good "involvement" feeling .

Last edited by Wolfje63 : 05-10-09 at 05:15 AM.

05-10-09, 04:41 PM   #40
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Votes only count for people that have donated or subscribed and each dollar counts as a vote. If you are not a 'supporter' your vote would be discarded.

This isn't the only supporter incentive we are working on. It all takes time which is a scarce commodity for us these days.
OK .. I'm a current supporter .. have donated and subscribed in the past. But I must say I think this is a stupid waste of resources. You said it yourself "It all takes time which is a scarce commodity" If time is scarce why are we wasting it on this stuff.. Implement new features and update Carbonite. Not add "something interesting" like this. How many fixes and updates could have been accomplished instead of designing a pay for voting system.

I understand you are looking for ways to supplement lost revenue and I applaud a clever way of doing this but I think your just going to turn people away.

People want updates and new/fixed content. Not a feature voting system you need to PAY for.

I will continue to donate in the future .. only and i mean ONLY if I see updates to the Carbonite. Obviously you may have missed the thread here where people feel that support of Carbonite from it's developers is in a decline .. that it is not what it used to be. This is what you should be trying to work on .. making the people happy so the have more incentive to donate.

Working on features like a Pay for voting system should come second to actually working on Carbonite.

You haven't even fixed the Carbonite website yet .. it still shows info for Carbonite and CarbQuest .. seriously .. someone priorities are in the wrong place.

Last edited by Sepioth : 05-10-09 at 04:47 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » We've got something interesting in the works...