05-31-07, 01:24 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hacking World of Warcraft

"Dan Gilbert (creator of Atlas) and Jim Whitehead (creator of PerfectRaid, Clique, TomTom, and LightHeaded) have come together to bring you a new book to enhance your game experience by showing you how find and use the best addons. Hacking World of Warcraft, published by John Wiley & Sons, is available now at your favorite bookseller. Jim is more commonly known around these parts as Cladhaire, one of our authors and moderators.

FROM THE BACK COVER:

World of Warcraft is your world. You are fearless. You are in command. And when you can command these awesome addons, macros, and customizations, you'll savor the heady brew of victory. From the masters who gave us Atlas and PerfectRaid/Clique, you’ll learn how to gain an advantage in combat, write spell casting macros, work with frames and XML, develop Lua scripts that work with the WoW API, and more.

Yeah, they’re legal. But don’t let that hold you back.

What’s inside:
  • Evaluate your performance in battle with combat statistics
  • Add instance maps, and make notes on the World Map
  • Rearrange everything onscreen and monitor your vitals with an HUD
  • Make gold “playing” the Auction House
  • Have whispers open in their own window like an IM client
  • Overhaul your interface with pre-packaged compilations
  • Create two fully functional addons from start to finish

Available now at Amazon, amongst other locations.

Last edited by Cladhaire : 05-31-07 at 02:19 PM.
05-31-07, 01:32 PM   #2
THUNDER_CHILD
Dork
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How it should end.

What’s inside:
  • Evaluate your performance in battle with combat statistics
  • Add instance maps, and make notes on the World Map
  • Rearrange everything onscreen and monitor your vitals with an HUD
  • Make gold “playing” the Auction House
  • Have whispers open in their own window like an IM client
  • Overhaul your interface with pre-packaged compilations
  • Create two fully functional addons from start to finish
  • Submit your wonderful new mods on www.wowinterface.com
  • Join us at #wowi-lounge for interesting addon discussions
05-31-07, 01:34 PM   #3
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I reeally want this book.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
05-31-07, 02:06 PM   #4
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I'm getting a free copy right?
05-31-07, 02:41 PM   #5
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I saw information on this book a few weeks ago. Looks to be a good read. Grats goes to the two authors.
05-31-07, 02:56 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Ahh... so this is why Clad was collecting people's preferred addons.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-31-07, 02:58 PM   #7
Razark
A Murloc Raider

Hi guys... Thanks very much for posting the news article Cairenn

As part of my contract I ended up getting a good number of copies, so I'm planning to run some kind of contest or something to give a bunch of them away! Suggestions are welcome. I'll end up announcing something on the atlasmod.com forums (and here as well). Also, if and when you get the book, feel free to contact me with suggestions, improvements, corrections, and ideas, which I'll compile for Wiley in case a second edition is ever developed. Finally, I'm happy to answer any (specific) questions regarding the book's content if you ever get confused. My address is [email protected]

enjoy

Dan
05-31-07, 03:26 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Cairenn
Hacking World of Warcraft, published by John Wiley & Sons, is available now at your favorite bookseller. < snip >
Available now at Amazon, amongst other locations.
Silly boy.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
05-31-07, 04:25 PM   #9
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Silly boy.

skimming ftl..

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-01-07, 01:23 AM   #10
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Congrats!

One question though. Can I get banned for "Hacking World of Warcraft" ? >.>
06-01-07, 06:43 AM   #11
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
-50 DKP for not referring to it as:

"The World.....

of Warcraft"
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
06-09-07, 11:57 AM   #12
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
Thumbs up I just don't know, I am a little let down.

The books seems to spend too much time on using existing addons, writing /command macros and not enough time with the actual process of addon 'hacking.'
I did read about some interesting addons, however the book simply needs more(?).
For example, I feel that the book would have been much better if it had added an Appendix listing the entire API scripting commands available at the time.
Another sad thing is that they failed to mention that the editor, SciTE-WoWInterface is Windows only , the authors took great care to mention box compatibility when they discussed the other editors. I hope that a version for the Mac can be developed; the API reference would be very nice indeed. Currently I am forced to use BBEDit and Smultron.
Over all the book is a nice effort and the above comments are meant to be constructive in nature. A book like this has been a long time in coming and I am grateful for it. It is a wonderful start, and I hope that a more complete, dare I say "geeky" revision is not long in showing up.
Thank you gentlemen for authoring this book!

Last edited by trav : 06-09-07 at 11:59 AM.
06-09-07, 12:03 PM   #13
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Originally Posted by trav
The books seems to spend too much time on using existing addons, writing /command macros and not enough time with the actual process of addon 'hacking.'
I did read about some interesting addons, however the book simply needs more(?).
For example, I feel that the book would have been much better if it had added an Appendix listing the entire API scripting commands available at the time.
This wasn't a book about writing World of Warcraft addons. This book is exactly what it intended to be. Hopefully we can get one written about writing addons.

Another sad thing is that they failed to mention that the editor, SciTE-WoWInterface is Windows only , the authors took great care to mention box compatibility when they discussed the other editors. I hope that a version for the Mac can be developed; the API reference would be very nice indeed. Currently I am forced to use BBEDit and Smultron.
Over all the book is a nice effort and the above comments are meant to be constructive in nature. A book like this has been a long time in coming and I am grateful for it. It is a wonderful start, and I hope that a more complete, dare I say "geeky" revision is not long in showing up.
Thank you gentlemen for authoring this book!
Thanks for your comments, we sincerely appreciate it.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
06-09-07, 12:59 PM   #14
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
A thought

I have bought several of the Hacking books, and perhaps my perception of "hacking" is different. Heck look at the cover; "Make It Your Own:
Create custom addons"
I hope that you see where I am coming from, I simply saw it differently. Please understand that I bought this book online (I saw the listing sand ordered it instantly) and did not have a chance to thumb through it. I suppose that is why I was expecting more about writing addons ( I have been teaching myself LUA and XML for the past several months, and brother when you are 60 it can be slow going) Again I am not bashing the book or complaining. I think that it is wonderful that the gap has been recognized and someone has started to do something about it at last. I am hoping that it sells out and provides you with the income so that you can spend time on an addon authoring book. AND please, please let us see a Mac version of SciTE-WoWInterface, it would be so cool. Also, section II is a great start at learning, it really beats the heck out of the tutorial. Perhaps because I am so "old", I much prefer books to learn from rather than a screen. I really don't want to write notes on the edge of my monitor
Anyway, best wishes on having great success with the book.
trav

Originally Posted by Cladhaire
This wasn't a book about writing World of Warcraft addons. This book is exactly what it intended to be. Hopefully we can get one written about writing addons.

Thanks for your comments, we sincerely appreciate it.
"No one has done more to prevent conflict - no one has made a greater sacrifice for the cause for Peace - than you, America's proud missile submarine family. You stand tall among our heroes of the Cold War.”

-- General Colin Powell

Last edited by trav : 06-09-07 at 01:03 PM.
06-09-07, 01:03 PM   #15
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
I have bought several of the Hacking books, and perhaps my perception of "hacking" is different. Heck look at the cover, "Make It Your Own:
Create custom addons"
I hope that you see where I am coming from. Please understand that I bought this book online (I saw the listing sand ordered it instantly) and did not have a chance to thumb through it. I suppose that is why I was expecting more about writing addons ( I have been teaching myself LUA and XML for the past several months, and brother when you are 60 it can be slow going) Again I am not bashing the book or complaining. I think that it is wonderful that the gap has been recognized and someone has started to do something about it at last. I am hoping that it sells out and provides you with the income so that you can spend time on an addon authoring book. AND please, please let us see a Mac version of SciTE-WoWInterface, it would be so cool. Also, section II is a great start at learning, it really beats the heck out of the tutorial. Perhaps because I am so "old", I much prefer books to learn from rather than a screen. I really don't want to write notes on the edge of my monitor
Anyway, best wishes on having great success with the book.
trav
Thanks again for your comments. I understand completely where you're coming from. Hopefully we can get a book written that will give you exactly what you're looking for.
06-09-07, 01:05 PM   #16
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

please let us see a Mac version of SciTE-WoWInterface
Damn hippies. Scite does work fine on Linux, but for some reason there's not a mac port. No, there isn't a linux package of the wowi version, but it's easy enough to copy over the config files.
06-09-07, 01:10 PM   #17
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
rats!

Well, with OS X I am also trying to learn Unix. Right now, the file that I downloaded is 5zfcwiy0.exe which I can't get at. This stuff was much easer when I taught myself Basic back in ought and 76. Never had time to be a hippie, I was under the Artic at the time.

Originally Posted by Tekkub
Damn hippies. Scite does work fine on Linux, but for some reason there's not a mac port. No, there isn't a linux package of the wowi version, but it's easy enough to copy over the config files.

Last edited by trav : 06-09-07 at 01:12 PM.
06-09-07, 01:16 PM   #18
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

There's a reason it was named "basic" :P
06-09-07, 01:35 PM   #19
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
Yep, logical, easy to use, flexible, and did a whole lot. And a heck of a lot better than fortran or cobal.

Originally Posted by Tekkub
There's a reason it was named "basic" :P

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Hacking World of Warcraft