01-10-10, 03:12 PM   #1
Laike
A Murloc Raider
Struggling to heal with nUI (advice needed)

For the few days I've been using NUI, I've been LOVING it. There's been a few things that has been bugging me (namely the usage of default blizzard bars, but I'm just being a whiny druid). But unfortunately I cannot get the hang of healing instances with nUI. For some stupid reason half my intended heals for tanks go to me, and the rest seem to disappear into the oblivion. Plus I'm strugging with the HoT timers that come with nUI. I've literally went from being complimented as one of the best healers to party with to people ditching the group and complaining about my heals in 3 pulls. I'd love to hear some advice for what other healers do, I've currently gone back to my old UI config, reconfigured to mirror nui as closesly as I can, but I'd really like to try to get this NUI thing working for me for all my characters. I tried grid, but that didn't work out for me at all. I was previously using shadowed unit frames for my hot timers and what not. Should I be adding something like visual heal to my NUI to help me out?
01-10-10, 03:57 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I used grid or healbot for my healing and placed the grid above the nUI raid frames. It's not ideal but the default UI I cannot play with even moreso. I'd rather live with extra space used for grid/healbot than go back to non nUI

Here are some example screenshots of healbot and grid in use. With grid I used a mouseover/focus/target/targetoftarget/self etc macro to heal people and left/right/middle combo clicks for healbot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_072009_040355.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	3832  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_091409_024315.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	3833  

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
01-10-10, 03:59 PM   #3
Laike
A Murloc Raider
grid completely failed for me. I will try my old nui thing again and give healbot a try.
01-10-10, 04:04 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
I used healbot for ages, tried grid and couldn't get to grips with it so went back to healbot for ease of use. Then once we started delving into more fancier instances I needed the information that could be better shown on grid so gave it another try. Its all down to taste though. I had both running for a long while so I could practice with grid on easy pulls then switch to the known healbot on the complex ones.

Characters:

01-11-10, 06:56 PM   #5
Chmee
A Molten Giant
My main problem with Healbot - or Vuhdo for that matter - lies in trying to get a setup that works for the various party/raid sizes - 5, 10, 25 in particular. At least, trying to use the infopanel to hold the buttons. They always seem to overflow, sometimes in strange ways. I noticed, Xrystal, that you had the Healbot Infopanel selected, but had pulled HB out of there to put it below the hud. Is that the best way you've found to do it?
01-11-10, 08:32 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yep, I find that I look in the bottom center half of the screen most of the time so everything I need to use during a fight has to go there to make things visually available

Characters:

01-11-10, 08:46 PM   #7
spiel2001
nUI's Author

This is something I *very* much intend to address in nUI6 and that is to have a "healer" mode set of unit frames which will consolidate all of the unit frames in one place and set up a healer friendly layout for unit frames. I *hope* that nUI6, when ready for prime time, will be able to eliminate the need for healbot and/or grid.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
01-11-10, 09:00 PM   #8
Laike
A Murloc Raider
as much as I love nui, this heal setup thing is killing me. I've put together a temporary ui to tide me over til NUI6 rolls out. I'm can't wait for it
01-12-10, 07:32 AM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I got rid of nUI once. It was the worst 15 seconds of my life... I almost died!!!
01-12-10, 07:39 AM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I got rid of nUI once. It was the worst 15 seconds of my life... I almost died!!!
Rofl, it took me 15 minutes to get re-aquainted to WoW without nUI. Hated every minute of it and went back before the next instance

Characters:

01-12-10, 02:34 PM   #11
Laike
A Murloc Raider
I'm missing nui already, but I tired my best to create something that feels exactly the same thing, I'm surviving so far!
01-12-10, 05:05 PM   #12
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Laike View Post
For the few days I've been using NUI, I've been LOVING it. There's been a few things that has been bugging me (namely the usage of default blizzard bars, but I'm just being a whiny druid). But unfortunately I cannot get the hang of healing instances with nUI. For some stupid reason half my intended heals for tanks go to me, and the rest seem to disappear into the oblivion. Plus I'm strugging with the HoT timers that come with nUI. I've literally went from being complimented as one of the best healers to party with to people ditching the group and complaining about my heals in 3 pulls. I'd love to hear some advice for what other healers do, I've currently gone back to my old UI config, reconfigured to mirror nui as closesly as I can, but I'd really like to try to get this NUI thing working for me for all my characters. I tried grid, but that didn't work out for me at all. I was previously using shadowed unit frames for my hot timers and what not. Should I be adding something like visual heal to my NUI to help me out?
nUI + VuhDo = win.

Marth

01-12-10, 05:44 PM   #13
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ah, yes. The Vuhdo plugin seems to get involved with layout setup inside the plugin and may be worth trying out.

Characters:

01-19-10, 07:05 AM   #14
rekman
A Murloc Raider

I love the easy of use nUI, when you have a lot of characters it is a must.

But I am sad to say, it does NOT work with my healers. I used healbot, and started in Grid, and nUI together with any of these two healing add ons, take up to much space.

I rally hope that v6 will come out soon, and be useful for us that are healers.
Goofey - paladin
Mortala - druid
++++
01-19-10, 06:55 PM   #15
todd0168
A Frostmaul Preserver

I have been using healbot pretty much ever since I started playing (holy priest) for just over a year now. I pretty much swear by it. I don't seem to have issues with it taking up too much space. I keep it in the lower right corner just above the right info-panel. If need be I can take a screenie next time I'm running something and post where I have it and how I have my layout set up. I'm eager for v6 but hope that it will essentially work the same as healbot currently does, not sure how easy it will be to relearn how to heal. lol
01-20-10, 09:39 AM   #16
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by rekman View Post
I love the easy of use nUI, when you have a lot of characters it is a must.

But I am sad to say, it does NOT work with my healers. I used healbot, and started in Grid, and nUI together with any of these two healing add ons, take up to much space.

I rally hope that v6 will come out soon, and be useful for us that are healers.
Try VuhDo and the VuhDo infopanel plugin - should work for ya

Marth

01-20-10, 10:49 AM   #17
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but while both Healbot and Vuhdo work fine in the infopanel in a five man party, any larger sized group creates problems. I just can't seem to get everything to fit in there. Stuff rolls off the bottom of the screen.
01-20-10, 11:27 AM   #18
todd0168
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but while both Healbot and Vuhdo work fine in the infopanel in a five man party, any larger sized group creates problems. I just can't seem to get everything to fit in there. Stuff rolls off the bottom of the screen.
I do not use the info-panel for healbot for that very reason. I just position the healbot directly over the info-panel area.
01-20-10, 02:09 PM   #19
Carz
nUI User-Supporter

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
Ya that happens to me all I do and i think xrystal dose the same is move it off from the panel and make it bigger so you can work with it or make a profile for when you have more the 5ppl
04-13-10, 08:58 AM   #20
Kaean
A Murloc Raider
Not sure how helpful this will be, but having healed for a while I'd like to point out what I feel would be helpful in the future.

- Center position below action bars priority for healing frames such as vuhdo/grid/healbot or some integrated nUI deal. That bottom center of the UI real estate is just too valuable to use it for anything other than your primary job -- and that's healing which means a healing raid frame setup. It's fine for general use, or DPS'ing, but when you're healing (even in a 5 man), the map just isn't a priority and that space isn't used efficiently then.

- Ability to have small raid units displayed out of the center just for general reference, targetting.

The way it is now, I can run vuhdo positioned to the right for healing and the middle is a mini map and raid frames. This, to me, is backwards.

I do love the UI though, just thought I would offer some healer perspective.

Keep up the good work.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » Struggling to heal with nUI (advice needed)