04-24-05, 01:06 PM   #1
PaqueMann
A Defias Bandit
Minimap Icons

I would like to see a mod that allows you to track certain people on your minimap. You would be able to see all of your guild members in range, and also you could enter in someone's name and a marker for them would appear on the minimap. Would be useful, but is it even possible?
04-24-05, 01:10 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Unfortunately, no, not even possible. I agree, it'd be cool, but ... Sorry =/
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-24-05, 01:11 PM   #3
PaqueMann
A Defias Bandit
Wow, quick response

Is it at all possible to at least alert you when a guild member enters the area?
04-24-05, 02:49 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I'm not sure. It may be that that sort of thing might be possible, working on the same priniciple as "on event" triggers:

If x happens, then y

An example from this site is the WarriorRevenge mod, wherein if you dodge, parry or block, it plays a sound, so you know to activate the revenge ability. (Undoubtedly there are other examples here too, but that one popped to mind. Sorry to any other mod author whose mod I didn't use as an example.)

I'm just not sure if "guild member shows up within z area" counts as an "event".

Your best bet when it comes to that sort of thing would be to head over to www.WoWWiki.com. There is a boat-load of info there, what you are asking about may already be covered there, one place or another.

On that note, I'm actually going to move this thread down to the Developer Discussion area of the board. We've got some users on this site that know more about this sort of stuff than I do, hopefully one of them will see this and can help you out.

If all else fails, try dropping a note on the Blizz UI forum, Iriel (amongst others) are fabulous about helping with things like these.
05-10-05, 10:00 AM   #5
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
actually it would in fact be possible to track all guild members in an area by utilizing the chat channel update functions that several mods use for things like sharing tradeskill data and such. However it would require updates at a fairly fast interval, and for larger guilds this could cause some serious lag. In the end, for the interest of lag, it would not be something anyone SHOULD do.

I just wanted to make you aware that it IS indeed possible as all you need to do is pass zone labels, and map location via the channel and then your own client would respond to the update by showing them as an icon on the map in a style similar to mapnotes.

It might be more feasible to make it a manual process. You hit a button called "Update" which sends an update request to the channel. Any guild members online would automatically respond with their current zone, and coords within that channel. This would update your map to show you where they are. Not exactly like auto-tracking, but in essence it would be the same thing.

I could do it, and may in the near future, but right now I am very tied up with an extensive original ui that I will be realsing as my first addon / semi-total conversion

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Minimap Icons