03-07-07, 03:34 PM   #1
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to write to WoWCombatLog.txt

I am the current author for PvPLog (http://wowroster.net/Forums/viewforum/f=9.html) and I need to capture additional debug information to chase down a bug.

Is it possible for an addon to output text that will be included in WoWCombatLog.txt?

I can write to the combat frame or the default frame in game but none of those messages appear in the WoWChatLog.txt or the WoWCombatLog.txt.

Having my messages interspersed with the combat messages would make it alot easier for me to debug and also easier for people having problems to send me the information.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Brad Morgan
03-07-07, 05:14 PM   #2
Wikwocket
A Theradrim Guardian
I do not know if you can write to those files, although I suspect you can't.

A possible workaround, if this is just for debugging, might be to have your mod do something that will show up in those files. For example, you could buff yourself with a scroll of agility, and have the mod cancel the buff at a certain time. Then your log would say, "Agility fades from you" or something to that effect.
03-09-07, 04:02 PM   #3
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I ended up capturing the messages sent to the combat log and saving them myself. I'm just keeping the last 2000 entries (combat log + my debug messages). The problem with this approach is that if Blizzard adds a new combat event, I have to modify my code to make a copy of that message. If I could insert my debug messages into the stream that eventually gets written to the combat log, then I've got everything in one location.

While I don't have a need for it now, I'd like to be able to do the same thing to the chat log without having to "say" my messages (which I believe does work).

Regards,

Brad

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to write to WoWCombatLog.txt