12-27-10, 05:15 PM   #1
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Measuring addon memory/cpu?

the various addons i have historically used for this sort of thing (AddonProfiler, OptionlessHouse) seem to be "out of date" versus WoW 4.X... for instance, they report 0.0 memory usage for everything, accross the board, etc. i assume some low-level Blizzard API has changed.

i am running Broker_CPU, which seems to report real numbers, but i can't see everything with that (just the top resource users).

can anyone point me at a current/up-to-date benchmarking addon along the lines of AddonProfiler?

thanks.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
01-11-11, 07:05 AM   #2
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by acapela View Post
the various addons i have historically used for this sort of thing (AddonProfiler, OptionlessHouse) seem to be "out of date" versus WoW 4.X... for instance, they report 0.0 memory usage for everything, accross the board, etc. i assume some low-level Blizzard API has changed.

i am running Broker_CPU, which seems to report real numbers, but i can't see everything with that (just the top resource users).

can anyone point me at a current/up-to-date benchmarking addon along the lines of AddonProfiler?

thanks.

Broker_CPU breaks other profiling addons since the expansion hit. Disable it, and Addon Profiler should work again. Just check "Load out-of-date addons" if it's out of date.

Legalize WoW gold purchases directly from Blizzard! Yeah, my doctor thinks I'm crazy too. >.<

"It was either going to school for programming or working at the Genetically Modified Wildlife Preserve. I've always had a love for the wildlife, but technology won out in the end."

Note: If you know of a library that you want to make available in your own scripts. let me know and I'll see about writing a plugin for it.

LCD4WoW
01-11-11, 11:58 AM   #3
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
Originally Posted by starlon View Post
Broker_CPU breaks other profiling addons since the expansion hit.
didn't know...

anyway I just break at ResetCPUUsage() which must not be used at all and is not required to performance addons, but any addon that use it will break each other so I hook it to save you from nasty and sucky procedures as seen in Carbonite, a quest mod that uses ResetCPUUsage() and that breaks BrokerCPU.

if everyone does as he pleases, rules are required, that's it.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 01-11-11 at 12:10 PM.
01-11-11, 01:54 PM   #4
unlimit
Lookin' Good

OpenRDX has a great profiling tool! :3

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
01-11-11, 03:30 PM   #5
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by starlon View Post
Broker_CPU breaks other profiling addons since the expansion hit. Disable it, and Addon Profiler should work again. Just check "Load out-of-date addons" if it's out of date.
verified. i can easily disable Broker_CPU temporarily while benchmarking. i will also look at OpenRDX.

thanks for the information!
01-12-11, 06:07 AM   #6
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
not verified, being the author of it I think my position is better than yours to say it does not break at other mods, it did in a past revision but is fixed, nor submit a bug ticket, or if you don't and you believe the last revision keeps breaking your mod without a notification then you are useless.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 01-12-11 at 06:11 AM.
01-12-11, 07:41 AM   #7
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Mera View Post
didn't know...

anyway I just break at ResetCPUUsage() which must not be used at all and is not required to performance addons, but any addon that use it will break each other so I hook it to save you from nasty and sucky procedures as seen in Carbonite, a quest mod that uses ResetCPUUsage() and that breaks BrokerCPU.

if everyone does as he pleases, rules are required, that's it.
not verified, being the author of it I think my position is better than yours to say it does not break at other mods, it did in a past revision but is fixed, nor submit a bug ticket, or if you don't and you believe the last revision keeps breaking your mod without a notification then you are useless.
Ok so to make sure I understand cause it is early and I am tired. So what you are saying is that you hook resetcpuuseage() because you say it must not be used at all. So you are intentionally hooking it to stop other addons from using it. Is this correct?

And if this is the case please show me in the wow rules , eula , whatever where it says it MUST not be used. Because I am pretty sure that if blizzard didn't want it used they would protect it.

Last edited by Nobgul : 01-12-11 at 07:44 AM.
01-12-11, 07:29 PM   #8
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
...then you are useless.
My fault here is I didn't go redownload your addon, that I deleted from my folders, before answering this thread.. You assume I'm still using it, or have recently. Your addon appeared to be at fault in breaking 3 other addons (Sys_Prof or something, Addon Profiler, and LibScriptabe's resource tools), that all seemed to work fine with the each other. When I downloaded your addon I was merely looking at how resource calculations were made in various profiling addons. I am not one of your users, but I do agree I should probably have at least tried to figure out why things were breaking, especially since I was researching WoW's profiling potential as I wrote PluginResourceTools.

Knowing what I know now, I apologize for unjustly blaming your addon without confirming things first, and for not thinking to suggest that the OP make sure his version of your addon was up-to-date.

Legalize WoW gold purchases directly from Blizzard! Yeah, my doctor thinks I'm crazy too. >.<

"It was either going to school for programming or working at the Genetically Modified Wildlife Preserve. I've always had a love for the wildlife, but technology won out in the end."

Note: If you know of a library that you want to make available in your own scripts. let me know and I'll see about writing a plugin for it.

LCD4WoW

Last edited by starlon : 01-12-11 at 07:35 PM.
01-12-11, 09:48 PM   #9
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
i apologize as well.

yes, indeed, Broker_CPU seems to have changed its behavior (as of 40000.19, released 2010/01/04). however, note that my original post was dated 2009/12/27 (at which time there was definitely something not right). i would also note that Mera's original post in this thread did not really clarify anything one way or the other...

anyway, i updated Broker_CPU when the new version was released, but did not know to re-test it (there had been no response to my thread at that point). i also did not remember (days later) that it had been updated the week before, so did not re-test to see if the problem still existed. i just saw starlon's post and acted on it extemporaneously (by disabling Broker_CPU, which seemed to have the desired effect ).

just tried again, and can confirm that whatever problem existed previously definitely no longer exists. AddonProfiler now seems to co-exist very happily with Broker_CPU.

again, i apologize.
09-30-16, 08:54 AM   #10
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
While this is an old thread the question is still relevant. What is the state of WoW Lua profiling tools for Legion?
04-10-18, 01:13 AM   #11
thomasjohnshannon
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by bsmorgan View Post
While this is an old thread the question is still relevant. What is the state of WoW Lua profiling tools for Legion?
I use AddonUsage to track memory and cpu usage.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Dev Tools » Measuring addon memory/cpu?