05-06-14, 06:56 PM   #1
Xully
A Cyclonian
Request: VEM / DBM bar style.

Hi, I've been using DBM and then switched to VEM, they both are the exact same except VEM make a voice announcements, anyway to make long story short, I kinda don't like the bar styles of either, and I am really a big fan of the BAR style that BigWigs provides, and too bad that both VEM and DBM doesn't give you anyway to change the bar looks, it only gives you the ability to change its height/width.

Anyway my request is, if anybody has another bar style for VEM that look nice, or even if you have a barstyle that look like BigWigs but for DBM/VEM, could you please share it with me? ill appreciate it.

thanks.
05-06-14, 07:29 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Here's a DBM skin that already looks somewhat like BigWigs to get you started:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...I_DBMSkin.html

I'd never heard of VEM before reading your post, but the download page says it's a fork of DBM, so depending on how much has been changed, the same skinning method may work for both addons.
05-06-14, 07:29 PM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xully View Post
too bad that both VEM and DBM doesn't give you anyway to change the bar looks, it only gives you the ability to change its height/width.
Both DBM and VEM allow you to change the look of the bars by opening their settings (eg. /vem), clicking the Options tab and going to Bar Style.
05-06-14, 07:40 PM   #4
Xully
A Cyclonian
phanx, thanks you are a hero.

semlar, I appreciate your comment but as I said in the post, it allows you to change height/width and few little other details like fonts, but doesn't make you change how the bar actually looks, which is why I called it style, or you can call it skin. that why other people create skins for it, but I like the skin that phanx provided to me, I'm gonna give it a try, I think ill quiet like it actually. thanks.
05-06-14, 07:42 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Actually looking at the screenshots for DBM again, the default bar appearance already looks pretty similar to BigWigs, so I'm not really sure what you're looking to do.

And, looking at DBM itself, it already supports third-party skins without modifying any files or hooking any functions like it used to... just copy the default skin (DBM-DefaultSkin folder) rename it, and change it however you want. It's in XML, which is pretty ugly, but everything appears to be pretty obviously named so you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out what's what.

If you need help making the specific edits, you're going to have be more specific about what it is you actually want to change.
05-06-14, 07:43 PM   #6
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You can change the texture, color and size of the bars, the direction they fill, the font and the icon so I find it hard to believe you can't make it look how you want.
05-06-14, 07:48 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

There's a lot more to changing a layout than changing a font face, a bar texture, and a few colors. Those kind of options can't transform, for example, the default player and target frames into a circular mid-screen HUD.
05-06-14, 07:57 PM   #8
Xully
A Cyclonian
Phanx, I tried to install this skin, and on the addon list tab its RED as missing depencency, it says.

Dependencies: Aurora, DBM-Core

And actually VEM has a VEM-Core, not DBM-Core, so I went to the file inside config.lau trying to search for DBM-Core to rename it to VEM-Core, but didn't find any, so I've hit a wall here and didn't know what to do
05-06-14, 09:39 PM   #9
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The dependencies are listed in the toc file.
05-06-14, 11:14 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

The dependencies are listed right there in the message you posted. That particular skin requires the Aurora addon also be installed in addition to DBM.

You can find other DBM skins by searching for "dbm" on this site (there's a search box in the top right corner of every page") to see if you can find one that doesn't depend on other addons, or you can just copy the DBM-DefaultSkin folder which contains the default skin, rename it, and edit it to your liking as I previously suggested.
05-07-14, 08:35 AM   #11
Tactica
Not Amused

Phanx, I tried to install this skin, and on the addon list tab its RED as missing depencency, it says.

Dependencies: Aurora, DBM-Core

And actually VEM has a VEM-Core, not DBM-Core, so I went to the file inside config.lau trying to search for DBM-Core to rename it to VEM-Core, but didn't find any, so I've hit a wall here and didn't know what to do

If you are trying to run mUI DBMSkin without DBM that is like trying to drive a car without the engine!

If you are attempting to use the skin Phanx posted, (mUI DBMSkin) then you will need to install DBM so that DBM-Core dependency is there.

Both DBM & VEM have a core. You won't find any "DBM-Core" within any VEM.lua as they are two entirely different mods with the same concept.

I did some searching and there are a lot of DBM skins out there, most seem outdated so no guarantee that they actually work:

Last edited by Tactica : 05-07-14 at 08:39 AM.
05-07-14, 11:04 AM   #12
Xully
A Cyclonian
Yea man, now I understand that. but problem is now that I am using VEM, and I don't want to go back to DBM. Couldn't find any skins for VEM since its new I hope that somebody who likes doing these kind of things create a skin for VEM in the near future as I couldn't find anything at the moment.
05-07-14, 12:14 PM   #13
Tactica
Not Amused

Yea man, now I understand that. but problem is now that I am using VEM, and I don't want to go back to DBM. Couldn't find any skins for VEM since its new I hope that somebody who likes doing these kind of things create a skin for VEM in the near future as I couldn't find anything at the moment.
I read over what little comments exist in regards to VEM and I would guess that until they fix all the issues with timers, skins won't be a primary concern. However someone may look into it, you never know. I watched a ToT raid using it and...annoying much?

IMO DBM>VEM as VEM does not have mods that support anything for BG's or pre-MoP... Cata, LK, BC raids dungeons etc etc.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Request: VEM / DBM bar style.