02-22-06, 07:53 AM   #1
Torteth
A Defias Bandit
Unhappy Enumerating Users in a Custom Chat Channel

I'm trying to write a simple addon for my Guild which lists all online guild members and all members of a chat channel.
This is to be used to record DKP. (We award DKP to all online players.)

I have the guild enumeration all sweet but I'm having trouble enumerating the members of a chat channel.
This can be achieved in game by typing /chatlist # or /chatwho # where "#" = the channel number or channel name.

I posted on the official WoW forums (UI section) but I cant seem to work out how to use the information I was given correctly:

hello, sorry I was not very clear. Here is what you need to do:
(1) Register the event CHAT_MSG_CHANNEL_LIST
(2) Issue ListChannelByName

Your On_event code look something like:
if(event == "CHAT_MSG_CHANNEL_LIST") then
WHO_CHANNEL_USERS(arg1);
end
function WHO_CHANNEL_USERS(msg)
print (msg)
end

Basically I want to find all members of the channel "Standby5D" and add them to an edit box (or an array). (For simplicties sake a simple DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(this_is_a_stub) in place of this in any examples would be sufficiant. Once I RETRIEVE the string of names I'm set. )
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I've been looking at other UI addons I use; the Register Event section in particular but I dont understand the link between registering the event and then calling ListChannelByName.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
02-22-06, 08:02 AM   #2
Torteth
A Defias Bandit
Oh, after even more diggong on WoWWiki.com I found:

Example:
Place this:RegisterEvent("CHAT_MSG_SAY"); in the <OnLoad>/</OnLoad> section of your MyMod.xml file.
Then, have an if (event == "CHAT_MSG_SAY") then MyMod_Say(event, arg1, arg2, arg3); end line, or something like it, in the <OnEvent>/</OnEvent> section of your MyMod.xml file.

Then, have a function like the following in your MyMod.lua file:
function MyMod_Say(event, arg1, arg2, arg3)
PrevMsg = arg1;
PrevPlyr = arg2;
PrevLang = arg3;
end

This would store the previous message, player who said it, and language it was said in into some variables.
This explains the concept quite well.
Wish there was a way to delete this thread...

I assume the above is what I wish to do, once I replace the event with the event I desire of course?

Edit: The thing I wasnt seeing when examining other mods was the OnLoad in the XML file. Guess thats the secret.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Enumerating Users in a Custom Chat Channel