10-01-08, 08:57 AM   #1
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
oUF - General discussion

The old oUF thread over at WoWace has become, quite a monster to say it softly. It's a mess of bug reports, layout issues and general issues/feature people have/want.

Please use this thread for general oUF discussion only (non-layout specific stuff).

Related forum thread: oUF - Layout discussion
Bug reports and feature requests should be posted over at the author portal.

Last edited by haste : 10-01-08 at 09:00 AM.

10-01-08, 12:21 PM   #2
duhwhat
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
moving the safe zone discussion over here.

is it even possible to calculate a reasonably accurate safe zone for a channeled cast?

the safe zone would presumably be calculated and displayed based on the latency at the beginning of the cast. compared to relatively short cast times like shadowbolt (2.5s when talented) a 5 second channel has much more of a chance to have a different latency at channeling start vs. channeling end. in light of this, would it be possible to delay safe zone calculation/display until a channel is 50% or even 75% complete?

10-01-08, 12:35 PM   #3
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
The safe zone calculation is done during the OnUpdate of the casting bar. The latency information we have isn't real-time however, it's polled every 5 sec or so.
I don't remember how often it updates, you can check it yourself by doing: /run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(select(3, GetNetStats()))

Channeled spells are tick based however, so I'm not really sure how helpful a safe zone would be. It also seems that the last tick happens slightly after the cast has finished.

10-01-08, 12:40 PM   #4
duhwhat
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by haste View Post
Channeled spells are tick based however, so I'm not really sure how helpful a safe zone would be. It also seems that the last tick happens slightly after the cast has finished.
I thought the safe zone should be included to minimize downtime between chain-casts of channeled spells or a regular cast following a channel, but if the last tick is happening after the cast, this is irrelevant (potentially counter-productive). it then seems that the best practice for channeled spells is to begin the next cast after the castbar has disappeared.

10-01-08, 12:49 PM   #5
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
I generally just use:
Code:
/cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay
It won't maximize your DPS of course. I don't think the potential gain from interrupting a cast at the end is very significant either :). Adding a safe zone for channels isn't much work at all however, it's basically copy-pasting of the code for casting :p.

10-01-08, 12:56 PM   #6
duhwhat
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I generally just use:
Code:
/cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay
It won't maximize your DPS of course. I don't think the potential gain from interrupting a cast at the end is very significant either . Adding a safe zone for channels isn't much work at all however, it's basically copy-pasting of the code for casting .
i moved to quartz from azcastbar/oUF castbar in an attempt to avoid the button-mashing at the end of channels that this kind of macro (which i've used before) involves. i -wanted- to believe that having a safe zone at the end of channels and a single keypress in this safe zone would be more efficient than a nochanneling macro, especially when moving from a channel to a regular cast, rather than chaining channels. moving back to nochanneling tonight : ) but keeping quartz till someone makes a GCD spark addon/plugin.

10-02-08, 06:43 AM   #7
coree
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
is it intended that the casttime increases instead of decreases ?
i prefer a decreasing casttime, how can i change this ?

10-02-08, 08:46 AM   #8
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by coree View Post
is it intended that the casttime increases instead of decreases ?
i prefer a decreasing casttime, how can i change this ?
1) Yes
2) Currently the only way to change it is to replace the OnUpdate with your own.

10-02-08, 09:46 AM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Curious...

1) Yes
Why? Seems unintuitive impo...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-02-08, 09:53 AM   #10
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
There isn't really much reason to it at all. The original code had it hard-coded in that way, and no-one has mentioned anything about it. So I left it that way when I reviewed the code.

10-02-08, 09:58 AM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Feature request submitted.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-16-08, 09:37 AM   #12
Chimaine
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Just wonderung what to do about runes
I'm playing a DK right now and I'm using the standard reposed blizz runes.
Is there a possibility that there will be a "rune bar" module in oUF? Or is this a layout thing?

11-16-08, 09:46 AM   #13
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
There will be a rune bar in oUF, but I won't touch anything until I'm done with my exams. A option would be to use oUF_Runed however.

11-16-08, 12:26 PM   #14
Caellian
A Frostmaul Preserver

I might have a small issue with the castbar, today by 'accident' when updating Dominos i left the cast bar module which i ususally remove as i use oUF castbar.

As they were both working i noticed that the oUF castbar doesn't seems to see short casts when a normal castbar does, it happened with steady shot for example, the normal cast bar display the cast just fine but with oUF castbar the cast start but instantly stop.

Any clue why ?

11-16-08, 03:17 PM   #15
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
There are some castbar issues which are fixed on git, but no release has been made with them. Might be related to those.

11-16-08, 03:21 PM   #16
Caellian
A Frostmaul Preserver

Thanks, i will give a try to the git version and report here.

12-12-08, 08:56 PM   #17
Alkar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Started gettin this today any reason why??

[2008/12/12 19:53:41-216-x1]: oUF-1.2.1\elements\tags.lua:131: bad argument #1 to 'gmatch' (string expected, got nil)
oUF-1.2.1\elements\tags.lua:131: in function `func'
oUF-1.2.1\ouf.lua:232: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:187>
oUF-1.2.1\ouf.lua:250: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:247>
oUF-1.2.1\ouf.lua:304: in function `Spawn'
oUF_Deith\test.lua:301: in main chunk

12-12-08, 11:02 PM   #18
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
Started gettin this today any reason why??

[2008/12/12 19:53:41-216-x1]: oUF-1.2.1\elements\tags.lua:131: bad argument #1 to 'gmatch' (string expected, got nil)
oUF-1.2.1\elements\tags.lua:131: in function `func'
oUF-1.2.1\ouf.lua:232: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:187>
oUF-1.2.1\ouf.lua:250: in function <Interface\AddOns\oUF\ouf.lua:247>
oUF-1.2.1\ouf.lua:304: in function `Spawn'
oUF_Deith\test.lua:301: in main chunk
You haven't set a tag string on a fontstring you've told oUF should contain one.

12-13-08, 01:55 AM   #19
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Adventuress layout authors should give the git version of oUF a try.

* Elements are handled slightly different, and they can be disabled. This is largely untested.
* The event system has been changed. It should still work without updating the layout, but it's considered good practice to do: object:RegisterEvent('EVENT', func) and object:UnregisterEvent('EVENT', func). The reason for doing this is because: object:RegisterEvent('EVENT', func1) object:RegisterEvent('EVENT', func2) will convert the event into a double call.
* Tags have been rewritten. They should be quite bit more CPU and memory friendly.
* Quite a lot of bug fixes (mostly to the castbar).
* .Name has been removed, as tags are up to par.
* .Auras is no longer blocking .Buff and .Debuffs.

Now, I want to get this version out as soon as possible. Which means you have until Monday to test it. I won't have access to WoW until then, and I've only had time to do some minor testing myself.

It's also a great time to do feature requests!

Do note that there is a severe lack of internal validation and documentation on events/elements/tags atm. It's pretty easy to get some unintended behavior without having oUF erroring. :)

Don't be afraid to report bugs. Large quantities of the code is drycoded, and not tested at all. So in many cases it will probably be oUF giving an error and not your layout.

As a side note: You don't have to file a bug report on wowi for the git version. Contacting me over PM or IRC works just fine. I will also try to maintain a BUGS file on git, so that you can easily check what's reported and not. The reason for this is that the wowi bug/feature system has too many issues itself, and it looks like they will stand unresolved until the new portal system is up. Which means that this will be the preferred solutions until: a) the wowi system gets an update b) I finish my own issue tracker c) I switch it over to gcode.

12-13-08, 04:21 AM   #20
Soeters
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

I use tags with my layout but I've one question: I have a previous version of oUF because tags were easy to implement: only self.TaggedStrings{ourstrings} but now how do we tell oUF that a fontstring contain tags.
I looked at tags.lua but I'm not good enought to understand everything so I can't find where oUF registers tagged strings.

That code was pretty easy to understand and told oUF was easy to.
Code:
table.insert(oUF.subTypes, function(self, unit)
	if self.TaggedStrings then
		for i,fs in pairs(self.TaggedStrings) do
			local parent = fs:GetParent()
			local tagstring = fs:GetText()

local f = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, parent)
			f:SetScript("OnEvent", OnEvent)
			f:SetScript("OnShow", OnShow)
			f.tagstring, f.fontstring, f.parent = tagstring, fs, self

-- Register any update events we need
			for tag in string.gmatch(tagstring, "[[][%w]+[]]") do
				local tagevents = events[tag]
				if tagevents then
					for event in string.gmatch(tagevents, "%S+") do
						f:RegisterEvent(event)
					end
				end
			end
			if unit == "target" then f:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_TARGET_CHANGED") end
			if unit == "focus" then f:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_FOCUS_CHANGED") end

OnShow(f)
		end
	end
end)
Actually if someone can told me how to tell oUF that a fontstring contains tags I'll test the new layout.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » oUF - General discussion