11-26-12, 06:52 AM   #1
Pangas
A Kobold Labourer
Post Addon that shows icon instead of yellow point for plants and mines?

Hello there..

I'm new here. I like to learn to write wow adddons (I just know C++ and php as programming languages).

So I am thinking about an addon that will show all people farming plants and mines instead of the yellow point on their minimap the icon of the plant or mine. Knowing that farming green tea will not really be interesting, but golden lotus ....

So I have a few questions:
- I read the "chart" of blizzard, which describes what is allowed and what not. After my conclusion, an addon like this would not hurt the chart for addons. Is this right?

- I am using wow addons since a very long time, but I am a real greenhorn for the programming of them. Are there some tutorials / code references?

Thank you for any help or answer!

Pangas
11-26-12, 07:20 AM   #2
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The minimap is special, in the sense it's not available to us on the lua end, all we know is that it's a minimap frame object but we can't do anything to distinguish the different yellow nodes that appear, that is handled internally on the C end.

I'd pick another project to chase after if I was you, hehe.

About programming and getting started, my tips are:
1. http://www.wowpedia.org/Getting_star...writing_addons
2. http://wowprogramming.com
11-26-12, 08:16 AM   #3
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

That woud be a great addon. Shure its not possible?? I mean addons like Chinchilla can change look of the yellow buttons to bigger or different style so...? Maybe you can read out tooltips that shows what plants it is of minimap icons somehow?
11-26-12, 08:32 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

This is not possible. Addons cannot see or modify minimap tracking dots in any way.

You can change the yellow dot to something else by overriding the default texture file with a custom texture file -- for example, you could make it a blue star -- but the game uses the same texture for everything, so this would cause all tracking icons that were originally a yellow dot to show up as a blue star instead. If this is something you are interested in, Blipstick provides several alternative blip sets to choose from, and will show you how to replace the textures.

You can also add icons to the minimap showing which types of herbs or mines can spawn where, but these icons (a) cannot tell you whether a node is currently active, and (b) will appear on top of the actual tracking dots, hiding them. Addons like GatherMate do this, and address (b) by changing the icons to a circle inside a certain distance so any actual tracking dots that may be shown are visible through them.
11-26-12, 10:14 AM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

You don't even have to override the texture file, you can simply use Minimap widget API to tell it what texture to use for blips, group icons, corpse poi arrow, so forth. but nothing specific, like making only Peacebloom dots appear like a Peacebloom icon, that's not possible. :P
11-26-12, 05:57 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Well, whether you're replacing the texture "physically" by placing a file somewhere, or "virtually" by using an API, you're still overriding the default texture with your own.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Addon that shows icon instead of yellow point for plants and mines?