10-21-10, 12:31 PM   #1
maltese
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Potential "power auras" Module of oUF

Since 4.0.1 has hit I've been redoing my entire UI around the idea of having an ultra lightweight and efficient UI. I'm loving oUF and I've noticed several modules that add extra features to it. I saw the weapon enchant module and it got me thinking about the possibility of making a module that would act similar to power auras, but at a MUCH lower memory usage. (Power Auras is ridiculously bloated).

I use power auras as basically a way to track cooldowns through visual cues and timers. Check out Ultimate Shaman Auras for an idea of what I'm talking about. All I'm wanting to do is make visual cues for tracking my resto cooldowns instead of relying on actionbars as I have my action bars completely hidden.

My question is, is this something that is possible to do through oUF or would I be just wasting my time trying to figure this out? Ideally I'd be able to anchor the "oUF Power Auras" frame to the top of my raid frames so the position would automatically change to fit the type of raid group I am in. Now I'm quite inexperienced with lua but I have played around with it some to modify some addons to do what I want, so this would be a major learning process for me.

Last edited by maltese : 10-21-10 at 12:36 PM.
10-21-10, 01:50 PM   #2
Dawn
A Molten Giant

oUF is a unit framework. However, since you can add basically any code that you can think of in lua, a layout can possibly do more. But that has not much to do with oUF itself.

I assume you want something like oUF_Aurawatch, but with custom textures?

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

10-21-10, 03:51 PM   #3
maltese
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Aye, I do understand that what I'm suggesting isn't what oUF is "intended" for, but Aura watch does indeed look like a good starting point. I guess I'm just curious if implementing a cooldown tracker is something that is easily implemented into a plugin. I guess I'll have to just get busy reading to see if this is something I can do without pulling my hair out

EDIT: Looking at aura watch, it looks like something could be written easy enough for me to grasp while using OmniCC to provide the timers. Thanks so much for the tip.

Last edited by maltese : 10-21-10 at 04:14 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » Potential "power auras" Module of oUF