05-01-06, 03:58 PM   #1
willister
A Defias Bandit
Converting an existing addon to work with FuBar

Hiya there, I'm interesting in where I can find out more infomation about Fubar, specifically, how I can make a current mod, which is Titan compatible, work with FuBar. I need my mod to stay only optionaly dependant on Ace, so that users who dont use either titan or fubar can still use the main features of my mod.

All I really want to do is to register with fubar, and then update the fubar text manually, when I update my other data, not at a timed interval. I've looked over the FuBar api, and hit problems right at the very start, as I can't even work out how to tell if fubar is installed. Titan was easy, if(TitanPanelBarButton~=nil), but is there a similar way to check for FuBar?

I've been asked by a few people to update my KillsToLevel mod, and any help, or pointers in the right direction would be appreacated.
05-01-06, 04:08 PM   #2
ckknight
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To check for FuBar:

if FuBar then
end

just make a small plugin that you update the text for, here'd be a quick example:

if FuBar then
WhateverFu = FuBarPlugin:new {
name = "FuBar - WhateverFu",
desc = "Description",
version = "1.0",
aceCompatible = 103,
fuCompatible = 102, -- or 100 if you want to use the 1.0 API. (more stable, less features)
author = "willister",
email = "[email protected]",
website = "willister.wowinterface.com",
category = "others",
db= AceDatabase:new("WhateverFu"),
hasIcon = true,
}

function WhateverFu:UpdateText()
self:SetText("put text here")
end
end

And that's pretty much it. have UpdateText do a pull for information. call WhateverFu:UpdateText() whenever something changes.
05-01-06, 04:58 PM   #3
willister
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for the prompt reply, its really helped in getting the mod updated. Stuck with a tiny problem though, whenever I call KillsToLevelFu:updateText(), I get a Cannot set text without a self.textFrame. Something simple I'm missing?

Looking over the example plugins had daunted me more than they needed to, it seems, as it looked like almost a different language to the LUA I knew. With a pointer in the right direction, its becoming much more managable. Thanks.
05-01-06, 05:21 PM   #4
willister
A Defias Bandit
Never mind, got it working. You forgot to mention textFrame = "" in FuBarPlugin, and RegisterForLoad(), but now that I understand the language a bit , I shouldn't miss the simple things.

Thanks anyway, I should have a working mod soon!
05-01-06, 07:44 PM   #5
ckknight
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
gah, do not set textFrame. That is set for you.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Converting an existing addon to work with FuBar