04-05-09, 08:53 PM   #1
Aerador
A Fallenroot Satyr
Low FPS is Raids with nUI+

Ok so I have read around and I understand that a fresh install should fix the issue but it's not fixing it for me. Here's the scoop...

I had nUI Pro before this whole Blizz UI Policy thing and everything was working GREAT. I was sit'n at around 120 FPS on my new iMac just about anywhere. Raiding/BGs would drop to the 80s usually which is still AWESOME!
So then nUI+ came out and I grabbed it just to "comply" with Blizz's new policy so I figured like usual i'd do a clean install of my addons. I deleted the WTF and Interface folder and started over installing all the exact same mods as before with the new nUI+.

Now the problems began. My FPS dropped to the 60s indoors, 30s to low 40s outdoors, and then in a raid/bg (any size group above a regular 5 man party) i'm hit'n 30s spread out but when fighting i'm dropping to the 5-10 FPS range. To narrow it down I wiped both folders again and started over 1 mod at a time. No issues until nUI+ was installed which was the last mod I put on. So I trashed WoW and reinstalled WoW (patches take FOREVER), tested without mods, and everything was back to the 120 FPS mark. Installed JUST nUI+ and once again frame rates dropped.

Again this only happens in groups over 5 players, wasn't happening when I had nUI Pro, and is happening with ONLY nUI installed and nothing else. I wouldn't care much if I just happened to try nUI and it wasn't working for me but i've been using nUI for quite awhile, never had any issues, and now I feel pretty much HOOKED. It sucks to play without nUI now and I JUST WANT MY NUI BACK!!!!!!

Sorry, i'm more addicted to nUI than WoW it seems at times. LOL! Like I said before, I had no issues ever with nUI before and I realize nUI+ is basically the same as nUI Pro was so i'm stumped. I've turned off the animations in nUI and I tried using SunnArt to make the viewport smaller but the FPS issue happens even when the viewport is TINY which really has me confused. When I checked the Addon Memory Usage it's only hitting in the 20MB-30MB range.

System:
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 800MHz DDR2
6MB L2 Cache & 1GHz Bus
Radeon HD 2600 Pro w/ 256MB
Res: 1680x1050
WoW GFX Settings: Most are set a medium except Shadows are turned off with Full Screen Glow off as well.
Mods: Prat (Chat Mod), Carbonite, Segui (RP Mod), FlagRSP (RP Mod), Sunn Viewport, Lore (RP Mod), Bang Wintergrasp (WG Timer)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

04-05-09, 08:56 PM   #2
Aerador
A Fallenroot Satyr
I forgot to mention that I also tried switching the grouping threw all of the different panels thinking maybe it was the until frames but it's even doing it with Solo and Party panels as well.

04-07-09, 05:49 PM   #3
Lery
A Black Drake
By chance are you playing in Windowed mode? It is known that when playing in windowed mode FPS drops. With any other UI I have used it has dropped about 5 FPS, from 60 to 55. Maybe the lowest is 50.

However, in NUI, I am seeing a considerable drop in FPS. It does down to 30 FPS when playing in Windowed mode compared to 60 FPS in full screen mode.

Here is the testing I just did:

No addons loaded at all. 60 FPS solid no change while questing around. Full Screen Mode

No addons loaded at all. 53-59 FPS while questing around. Windowed mode.

NUI loaded: 30-35 FPS windowed mode.

NUI loaded: 49-57 FPS full screen mode. Sometimes hits 60.

No other addons loaded but NUI.

I have tried adjusting the frame rate from default of 30 down to 10. It seems to help briefly but not completely.

Hope this lends some insight.

Last edited by Lery : 04-07-09 at 06:10 PM.

04-07-09, 07:45 PM   #4
Aerador
A Fallenroot Satyr
Nope i'm not playing in windowed mode. I did however try playing in a window as well hoping that would give me some FPS back but it didn't. I've now tried putting all the gfx settings on low as well with no luck in raids still. Going to try another full reinstall of WoW and nUI+ right now.

04-08-09, 07:43 AM   #5
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't know if it matters any to say this... but this is a problem a lot of people using mods are having, not just nUI (FPS going to pot while in combat) -- it seems to have started with the WoW 3.0 patch and I still swear up and down that Blizzard broke something in the AddOn engine in that patch.

It does not affect everyone and I have yet to have found a pattern for it that would indicate a common cause.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

04-08-09, 09:04 AM   #6
Treboron
A Cyclonian
Wow i'd love 30fps in a raid... I barely get that in SMC alone away from any mobs/animations...

Worse case I get as low as 2fps in AOE intensive raid bosses... Good thing healbot seems to work regardless of FPS

Wish I could afford a new box

04-08-09, 09:17 AM   #7
Lery
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
I don't know if it matters any to say this... but this is a problem a lot of people using mods are having, not just nUI (FPS going to pot while in combat) -- it seems to have started with the WoW 3.0 patch and I still swear up and down that Blizzard broke something in the AddOn engine in that patch.

It does not affect everyone and I have yet to have found a pattern for it that would indicate a common cause.
Interesting. I would agree with you that Blizzard most definitely broke something. In my testing, as I stated, I only see a degrade in FPS when using NUI. No other addons. Nada, nothing.

If it helps, when I try other addons (i'm a UI junkie, it's an addiction ), my FPS does not degrade as much as with NUI. I completely understand however, that everyone's FPS will drop when using an addon compared to no addons. Just the nature of the beast.

04-17-09, 04:50 AM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah windowed mode definitely slows things down.

I usually switch to windowed mode when I'm not doing anything important (like raid healing - rofl ) in game and then switch to full screen when I need to pay attention.

04-17-09, 06:56 AM   #9
Lery
A Black Drake
spie2001, remember that myself and I think two other guys tested Nui + with no other addons and still saw extreme FPS drops. Then we switched over to another compilation (for me it was IshtaraUi), and suffered no FPS drops.

Regarding bug grabber, swatter, or other such addons I do not have any currently. Granted since my initial testing and concluding that the other addons was not causing any issues, I have added a few more addons I enjoy.

I checked my saved variables directory just for giggles. I did clean this out completely when I installed NUI +. The largest variable is from Auctioneer. That is huge at 15,717 KB (15 megs). Then the highest variable I have is 73kb.

For comparison purposes, here is a screenshot of addons I used to have enabled:

along with those addons, I had Auctioneer, QuestHelper, ZhunterMod, Skillet, OneBag3, OneBank3, Omen, Recount, RatingBuster, RepairBroker, SellJunk, VendorBait, Lightheaded, DoubleWide, DBM, CowTip, EasyMail, EQCompare, Cartographer, Atlas, Fubar.

Now I used to run at High video settings, Windowed Mode, all addons on, never had to run any off, and my FPS was at 50-55 FPS. If I switched over to Full Screen I would run at 60 FPS. Raiding in windowed mode I was at about 40-45 FPS.

You know what the story is now, so again I must stress I really think it must be something inside NUI.

04-17-09, 07:01 AM   #10
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Lery View Post
You know what the story is now, so again I must stress I really think it must be something inside NUI.
That's what I said... it's something in nUI that's causing taint and hammering the system with many taint errors a second.

Did you check your /logs directory to see if you have a taint.log in it? (your may not)

In any event, I now know what the source of the issue is, I just need to find out why some people are getting pounded by so many taint messages per second. Remember... taint means the secure thread has been broken, that means everything that was supposed to happen after the taint occurred, didn't happen, which means those updates get accumulated and FPS starts to drop.

The "fixes" I suggested do not fix the problem for users who have this taint issue, it only reduces the severity of the problem.

The key is that I finally know what the root cause is and have something I can attack to fix it.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Low FPS is Raids with nUI+