07-13-14, 05:23 PM   #1
thefallenkirmit
A Murloc Raider
Exclamation TEMP TomTom Work around

Let's face it, Carbonite is pretty impossible to replace especially since I believe a majority of us use the minimap inside the map combo. The ONLY workaround I can find if we have TomTom installed for there not to be a bazillion UI errors was disable every Carbonite plugin (just keep the main plugin enabled) and inside the Carbonite settings. "Options>Tracking HUD> and Disable TomTom Emulation".

If you use Carbonite for questing, I suggest use Dugi's Questing Essential to get you by till Carbonite gets their plans together.

By doing all of this I was able to use Handy Notes without problems and _NPCscan without issues. Good luck!

07-13-14, 05:58 PM   #2
thefallenkirmit
A Murloc Raider
OK You don't have to use Dugi, I can't get it to work properly. But I can confirm if you have tomtom emulation turned off and re-enable your "Carbonite Quests" plugin that your quests work again AND it doesn't currupt your TomTom

07-13-14, 06:29 PM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
TomTom emulation takes the place of TomTom, so why would you keep that addon active if you already have it in Carbonite?

From the Carbonite.com FAQ:
Replaces (these may conflict with Carbonite features)
Quest Helper
TomTom
By-the-way, the latest version of Carbonite is 5.4.2 Alpha 5. Get it here:
Carbonite (wowinterface.com)
Carbonite (curseforge.com)

If you are using the Curse Client you can right click the Carbonite entry in the installed addons list, and in the menu that pops up, choose "Preferred Release Type", and in the fly out menu choose "Alpha". That should do it for you.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 07-13-14 at 06:53 PM.

07-13-14, 06:43 PM   #4
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
A valid reason to not use Carbonite's TomTom emulation is because it is not complete enough, so lies to addons that require a more robust TomTom emulation. People that use Wholly, expecting to use Carbonite's TomTom emulation find a problem because Wholly detects the presence of TomTom (as advertised by Carbonite), but cannot do all it needs to do because Carbonite does not emulate TomTom enough.

Personally, I think it would be much better to take away TomTom emulation and just have people get TomTom when they need that functionality. Of course I understand the concept of one-stop shopping, but I think the better design is to have each piece do its job and do it well.

07-13-14, 07:22 PM   #5
thefallenkirmit
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
TomTom emulation takes the place of TomTom, so why would you keep that addon active if you already have it in Carbonite?

From the Carbonite.com FAQ:

By-the-way, the latest version of Carbonite is 5.4.2 Alpha 5. Get it here:
Carbonite (wowinterface.com)
Carbonite (curseforge.com)

If you are using the Curse Client you can right click the Carbonite entry in the installed addons list, and in the menu that pops up, choose "Preferred Release Type", and in the fly out menu choose "Alpha". That should do it for you.
I have the latest version.. and TomTom emulation doesn't work well with a lot of other addons. Disabling the emulation and having the real version of TomTom solves a lot of conflicts. Period.

I completely appreciate this addon in it's entirety, please don't get me wrong. But people have been mentioning bugs about TomTom emulation for a long time and nothing seems to change about it, therefore I offered a alternative. And saving other's the troubles that I've been having instead of waiting for a fix. I searched for alternate map addons that offers the "Google map" experience but alas none compare even remotely.

This simple change fixed every issue I had with Carbonite.

Last edited by thefallenkirmit : 07-13-14 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added more.

07-14-14, 06:47 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I see. I don't have any problems with Carbonites TomTom emulation and never did. I've been using it for 4 years. I guess I don't use any of the addons that cause problems with Carbonite.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

07-14-14, 06:58 AM   #7
thefallenkirmit
A Murloc Raider
The TomTom emulator provided with the addon works perfectly with just carbonite installed. It works as intended there. However some other addons that use TomTom for navigation eg. HandyNotes or its plugins (just one example) go haywire and don't call upon your emulator correctly.

All I end up seeing is a corrupted image on my screen with text that doesn't change lol. I have tried a fresh install of wow with just Carbonite and all it's plugins and the HandyNotes and its plug ins installed and for some reason it just doesn't jive well.

07-14-14, 07:48 AM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, I have 117 addons installed, and don't have any problems with Carbonites TomTom emulation. Like I said, I guess I don't use any of the addons that cause problems with it. I can tell you this, though, I don't use Handy Notes in any way, shape, or form. Maybe that's why I don't have any trouble with Carbonites TomTom emulation. I don't know. Maybe Handy Notes and TomTom's authors and Rythal need to get together and straighten the problem out, for once and for all (they're probably already working on it, though).

I don't know. I'm just talking through my........ backside. Yeah, that's it, backside.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » TEMP TomTom Work around