12-01-08, 09:03 AM   #1
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
Autobar

What are some replacements for autobar. When I look at my memory usage amongst all my addons, if memory serves me correctly, autobar is rated as the 2nd or 3rd highest.

I mainly use only the basic bar, extra bar, and class bar. I like the popup nature of it. MAINLY it's used for teleports/portals (although ZOMGBuffs will do this too), potions, easy access to my professions, and summoning food/water.

So, in conclusion, I'd like a replacement that is similar in design, lighter weight, has the option to be moved around and reoriented (vertical/horizontal) and have the ability to fadeout and reappear when combat starts automatically.

Thanks,
vpr
12-01-08, 09:13 AM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Maybe you could take a look at Select. Not sure if this is the kind of thing that you're looking for though.
12-01-08, 09:17 AM   #3
Lane
An Aku'mai Servant
I also have been looking for a lightweight Autobar. So far I've been having some success with Qbar and Auto Consumables. That only covers the Quest item and health bandage etc. portions of Autobar but that is mainly what I used it for anyway. That Select addon looks interesting.
12-01-08, 09:47 AM   #4
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
I also have been looking for a lightweight Autobar. So far I've been having some success with Qbar and Auto Consumables. That only covers the Quest item and health bandage etc. portions of Autobar but that is mainly what I used it for anyway. That Select addon looks interesting.
I'll take a look at those - but your post amused me, as your username is my Last/Family name irl
12-01-08, 09:50 AM   #5
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
Maybe you could take a look at Select. Not sure if this is the kind of thing that you're looking for though.
This isn't quite what I'm looking for, as it appers you have to place the macro on your actionbar... All my actionbars are filled up - I want something that creates it's own movable bar similar to Autobar.

I know that there is Whammybar and XBar but I'm not sure they'll fit what I need either. I might give Xbar a try though.
12-01-08, 10:33 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Autobar's memory seems high because of the LibPeriodicTable library it uses to be aware of all possible items it can grab. If anything else in your UI uses the same libraries (Ace, as well), since Autobar starts with A, it generally loads earlier in the loading process. Thus, its copy of libraries will stay in memory and all other addons that need them will use the copies of the libs in Autobar's folder. This makes it look like Autobar uses way more memory than it actually does, especially if you have plenty of addons that use the same libs.

Besides, it is CPU usage, NOT memory, that makes the difference in an addon's performance. The only time you should be worried about memory is if you're running a low amount of RAM or run into issues with paging.

In short, if you like Autobar, keep Autobar. If you want something else... There isn't really any other one addon like Autobar.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-01-08, 10:52 AM   #7
MacDude
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Autobar's memory seems high because of the LibPeriodicTable library it uses to be aware of all possible items it can grab. If anything else in your UI uses the same libraries (Ace, as well), since Autobar starts with A, it generally loads earlier in the loading process. Thus, its copy of libraries will stay in memory and all other addons that need them will use the copies of the libs in Autobar's folder. This makes it look like Autobar uses way more memory than it actually does, especially if you have plenty of addons that use the same libs.

Besides, it is CPU usage, NOT memory, that makes the difference in an addon's performance. The only time you should be worried about memory is if you're running a low amount of RAM or run into issues with paging.

In short, if you like Autobar, keep Autobar. If you want something else... There isn't really any other one addon like Autobar.
Thanks Seerah. That explains a few things.
12-01-08, 11:26 AM   #8
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
I know that...but I've been experiencing random restarts for about 6 months now. Started happening when my pc shut off randomly after installing and making my first character on Age of Conan (lol). I've ended up replacing everything but the RAM and CPU and it's still happening... I just wrote a nice long reply and my pc restarted so I'm retyping this.

It's been fine for about 3 months now, and yesterday it started doing it again.

My ram is not listed in my mobo's manual as compatible, but that doesn't really matter most times. It's also 4x1GB which is known to stress a mobo, so I'm looking in to getting 2x2GB, but I'm in China right now and it's very difficult since a) I don't speak the language very well, and b) they usually only have low-end parts since most people don't want to spend lots of money.

So i'm trying to cut down on memory usage while I'm looking for new memory...
12-01-08, 11:37 AM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Random restarts sounds like an overheating and/or power supply issue. (but I'm no expert)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-01-08, 11:58 AM   #10
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
Random restarts sounds like an overheating and/or power supply issue. (but I'm no expert)
It's one of the most difficult problems to diagnose and fix... Almost anything can cause them from hardware to software related... I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to computers. Those were my first two concerns too.

But this is all off-topic - so /over
12-12-08, 06:17 PM   #11
Gorebag
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by vpr View Post
I know that...but I've been experiencing random restarts for about 6 months now. Started happening when my pc shut off randomly after installing and making my first character on Age of Conan (lol). I've ended up replacing everything but the RAM and CPU and it's still happening... I just wrote a nice long reply and my pc restarted so I'm retyping this.
I know this is kinda off the original topic, but...

Any chance you replaced your video card shortly before Age of Conan? I was having the same problem, and tracked it own to a power supply issue with my video card, but NOT a wattage issue (I had a 500 watt ps)

Turns out, power supples are rated for wattage and for the max amperage they supply on each power line. The box for my video card said it requires a powersupply with 26amps on the 12 volt line.

On the sticker on the side of your powersupply it should list the amperages on each rail. Mine was a max of 16amps. It was actually pretty tough to find a power supply with 26 amps on the 12 volt rail, but since I replaced it I haven't had the problem of it shutting off on me again.

Strange thing was, I had the video card for weeks before the problem cropped up, and it was after installing Warhammer Online which pushes the graphics card harder than WoW used too. Then it started happening in WoW too but probably because I had turned up my graphics settings.
12-12-08, 06:35 PM   #12
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

NVM, missread.
12-13-08, 06:32 AM   #13
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Gorebag View Post
I know this is kinda off the original topic, but...

Any chance you replaced your video card shortly before Age of Conan? I was having the same problem, and tracked it own to a power supply issue with my video card, but NOT a wattage issue (I had a 500 watt ps)

Turns out, power supples are rated for wattage and for the max amperage they supply on each power line. The box for my video card said it requires a powersupply with 26amps on the 12 volt line.

On the sticker on the side of your powersupply it should list the amperages on each rail. Mine was a max of 16amps. It was actually pretty tough to find a power supply with 26 amps on the 12 volt rail, but since I replaced it I haven't had the problem of it shutting off on me again.

Strange thing was, I had the video card for weeks before the problem cropped up, and it was after installing Warhammer Online which pushes the graphics card harder than WoW used too. Then it started happening in WoW too but probably because I had turned up my graphics settings.

Nope the card I was using in my PC I used for about a year, I went to the States (USA) for about 3 months, which is where I bought AoC. Then I came back to China, and this is when the problem happened.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Autobar