12-16-09, 12:31 PM   #1
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
Hud display

Hello,
I am looking to replace DHUD with simple arcs on the left or right of my character. I didn't see any in the packages on the site here, so I'm playing around with it. I'm using a status bar with one of the arc textures in I believe the 'Turbo textures' (or something like that... not at my computer right now) from the media pack download.

I've gotten it to work with health, but I don't see a backdrop to use with it. I'm assuming I could probably just use a status bar that's always full to go around it, but I don't know how to make textures to use.

I haven't found anything in the forums here about it. Could someone point me to in the right direction for any of the following:
How to make/import textures
How to use curved backdrops
Packages with this kind of display that I've missed

Thank you!

Last edited by horse21 : 12-16-09 at 02:47 PM. Reason: replaced word for clarification
12-16-09, 11:17 PM   #2
r3d3
A Fallenroot Satyr
You could probably just use a slightly stretched and static colored version of the same texture as a background for it.
12-17-09, 05:02 PM   #3
zigmund555
A Cliff Giant
I had one partially working at one point by "borrowing" a texture from a HUD addon and applying it to status bars.

One you have your texture file, stick it into a folder. Create a script to import the texture..

VFLUI.RegisterTexture({
name = "yournewtexturenamehere";
category = i18n("My Custom Textures");
title = i18n("Blizzard");
path = "Interface\\Folder\\texturename";
dx = 256; dy = 32;
});

Make sure the "path" matches to where you stuck the texture file (either the .blp or .tga file).

When you log in to wow, you can run that script and when you go to the texture chooser for your statusbars you should see a new category "My Custom Textures" and find your texture file in there. Then you can apply it to your statusbar.

As for creating a texture from scratch, I can't help you there, but there are tutorials on the 'net. Every addon with custom textures includes those texture files, but you shouldn't abuse/re-release them without permission/attributing the original artist.
12-17-09, 05:06 PM   #4
zigmund555
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by r3d3 View Post
You could probably just use a slightly stretched and static colored version of the same texture as a background for it.
I used a green for my healthbar and about a 20-25% alpha grey as the backdrop. Just enough to barely see the full extent of the bar. You can tweak it until you find the right look for you.
12-17-09, 05:28 PM   #5
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
I've actually sniffed around the media pack lua files, and I found a bunch of those VFLUI.register() entries in a 'Textures.lua' file. I was planning on trying to enter the new textures into that file, as I'm assuming it is automatically run to populate the textures in RDX.

The only problem I have with using the same texture over again for the improvised backdrop, is that the backdrop will not be an outline, rather than just an outline with an alpha shade where the bar should be. That'll take another texture. I'm not very artistically talented (or know how to use gimp well), so I'll get digging for a usable set, haha.

I was looking through some screenshots of mods outside of RDX, and saw circular status bars. Not spheres that deplete like diablo, but status bars that are bent into a circle that go clockwise/counterclockwise. Is there support for this in RDX? I don't remember seeing options for that in the status bar.

But, there's so many options to drag into the unit frame, I'm sure I've missed plenty of things!

Thanks!
12-18-09, 11:06 PM   #6
Dgrimes
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Horse21 instead of modifying one of the RDX files themselves you can just run that command in an autoexec script so your changes won't be lost when/if you update RDX. As for trying to make it simpler, if you are just using one texture to set the background up and modifying the alpha within that feature than you are able to "export" the feature for said background and then you will be able to import it into any further windows you decide to make.

If you go the export route an explorer window will pop up and ask you where to save it. Click on the package you wish and then at the top left of the window there will be this in an edit box "package:". After the ":" in the edit box insert a name for the feature. Remember to use an alphanumeric only or it will not let you save it.

Hope that helps.
12-21-09, 09:46 PM   #7
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
So, I'm having a problem getting the textures in. I have the following in a script:

Code:
VFLUI.RegisterTexture({
   name = "leftLarge";
   category = i18n("Status (Horse)");
   title = i18n("Left Large");
   path = "Interface\\AddOns\\OOBE_HorseMods\\textures\\leftLarge";
   dx = 128; dy = 256;
});
VFLUI.RegisterTexture({
   name = "leftLarge_Border";
   title = i18n("Left Large Border");
   path = "Interface\\AddOns\\OOBE_HorseMods\\textures\\leftLarge_Border";
   dx = 128; dy = 256;
});
VFLUI.RegisterTexture({
   name = "leftSmall";
   title = i18n("Left Small");
   path = "Interface\\AddOns\\OOBE_HorseMods\\textures\\leftSmall";
   dx = 128; dy = 256;
});
VFLUI.RegisterTexture({
   name = "leftSmall_Border";
   title = i18n("Left Small Border");
   path = "Interface\\AddOns\\OOBE_HorseMods\\textures\\leftSmall_Border";
   dx = 128; dy = 256;
});
I put my textures at:
Interface\AddOns\OOBE_HorseMods\textures

and they're named leftLarge.tga, leftLarge_Border.tga, leftSmall.tga, and leftSmall_Border.tga, and all have a size of 128x256. I noticed that the name attribute and the name of the file name do not have to match, but making it different didn't make it better.

When I run the script, it creates the category fine, as well as all of the names. However, in the list of textures, all of them show up blank, or a big white block, presumably stretched out to 128x256. The preview window is completely blank, but if I push the 'Use solid color' button at the top, the whole window turns white (which looks normal after testing). But when I uncheck that checkbox, there's a white box that looks like it's probably the 128x256 texture.

I brought these textures in from another mod to test how to import, and they work fine with that mod. I moved this into one of the mediapack folders, made a backup of a texture there, and placed it, and it imported correctly (all squished from size, but expected). Also, I see in the Textures.lua file in the mediapack that the Turbo textures don't have a size. Anyone have an idea? Do I need to add something else to the script for it to work correctly?

Thanks!

Last edited by horse21 : 12-21-09 at 10:06 PM.
12-24-09, 12:57 PM   #8
horse21
An Aku'mai Servant
I have an update to this. I hadn't named the script autoexec when I was trying it before. I just made a script called textures and was trying to run it. When I renamed it and manually ran it, the textures seemed to show up fine in the window. but, it could be because I had since closed wow down, or restarted, etc. I don't think it worked just because I renamed the file?

However, the texture is not being placed on my window when I make a change to it. It shows it in the preview file perfectly. So I save, close the editor windows, and nothing happens to my main window even after reloading my UI, logging out/back in. I haven't played with it too much, didn't have the time last night. Just thought I'd mention in case someone knew off the top of their heads

Sorry to be asking so many questions! I've learned *a lot* through trial and error, and things are getting easier, but I'm spending a fair amount of my play time doing so. I appreciate the help!
12-24-09, 10:57 PM   #9
Dgrimes
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The texture not showing up in your window may be an error on the actual texture feature options. If you want a static texture check the box that says "Show on clean". That will always make the texture show.

As far as the trouble you were having before. If you are adding textures to an addon and WoW is running you will not be able to use them until you relaunch WoW as WoW only populates the files in the addons folder once you launch the game, no where else. At least to my knowledge.
01-01-10, 01:47 AM   #10
jfn302
An Aku'mai Servant
I'm having the same issue..

When I create the script called Autoexec, it populates the category, and there are my two items listed under the category. However, it will not preview the items, and the path listed at the top is in red. I'm sure this means it can't read the files. Or it means that I have a typo in the file names.

Somehow I am thinking it is the file itself. I just created the files using GIMP, and saved them as .tga. I've tried saving it so that the image starts bottom left <defualt for .tga> and I have tried saving it so that it starts top left. I get the same results both ways.

I checked to see if I could also import items from another texture pack, and it works fine. It is just these particular textures. Any ideas as to why one set of .tga's would be fine and another set not work?

Last edited by jfn302 : 01-01-10 at 01:58 AM. Reason: More Info

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » Hud display