04-06-10, 12:29 PM   #1
Diatrive
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Saving/Sharing changes to a 3rd party frame.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for any help. I have my guild using the Konyagi frames currently but most of us like a few things different and I have changed several pieces of the frame for us, but despise walking each person through modding the frames in the package manager. I am guessing there is an easy way to just push all my changes to everyone but I am unaware as to the best way to do it. Please be very descriptive, not just "use the xxxxxx". Also, take into account describing which actual add on folders they would need to download, ie can I push them the whole frame package or will they need to have downloaded it themselves first?

Thanks again!
04-06-10, 12:43 PM   #2
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
there are 2 (3) ways you could do this. you can send your modified package to your guildmembers directly ingame, or you can create a recovery file / oobe package to share your modified version via a download. i will give you a detailed walkthrough when im finished with raiding for today.
04-06-10, 03:22 PM   #3
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
Sending Files - Ingame

Part 1: Sending files to other RDX-Users ingame

Open your RDX Object Browser.
You have 3 options:
1)Sending single files:
browse to the file you want to share, right click it and select "send" from the dropdown menu
2)Sending single packages:
righ click the package you want to share, click "send" from the dropdown menu
3)Sending multiple packages:
click the "Mass Send" button in the bottom left of the Object Browser. A new window will open with a list of all your packages. Mark the ones you want to share and click Ok.

Whatever way you selected, 2 new windows will open:

these windows allow you to choose who you want to send your packages/files to. the right window displays all members of your current group. now, in the left one you can choose in the dropdown menu on the top if you want to send to your group/raid ("GROUP") or to your entire guild ("GUILD"). If you choose guild, your packages will be sent to anyone in your gild that is online at that time. If you choose group, you can leave the bottom area of the left frame empty and click ok to send to everyone in your current group, or you can drag and drop single members from your group/raid from the right window to the bottom area of the left window to send only to those selected players.
if you are done with selecting your targets, click OK in the left window. a new window will open:

it will show one bar for every target your packets are sent to. the white bar at the bottom shows incoming traffic aka data someone else is sending you.

when all data is transfered, a new window will open on the targets clients:

by default nothing is selected here. if your guildmembers trust you, you can just tell them to select everything (click All button at the bottom), or if they know they just want the changes you made to some specific file they can select just one file from the list. objects listed in red are objects that contain custom scripts, objects listed in yellow are objects that allready exist in your filesystem and will be overwriten if you accept them.
now you are done. select the packages you want, click OK and rebuild your windows if they dont rebuild automaticaly.
04-06-10, 03:40 PM   #4
Brainn
A Frostmaul Preserver
Part 2: Using Recovery-Files to share packages

with this way, you will create a file that you can upload to the web or send through emails to share your packages.

On the RDX-Main-Panel, click on the "Repository" button and select "Backup Packages" from the dropdown menu:

a new window will open with a list of your packages:

select the packages you want to share and click OK.
your ui will reload now.

next, browse your wow-folder:
<path-to-wow>\WTF\Account\<youraccountname>\SavedVariables\
in this folder you should now find a file called RDX_Recovery.lua
now, upload that file to a webserver/filehoster/send it by mail
on the target system, place the file in the same folder, just replace your account name with the account name of the user that wants to load your files.
on the targets client, open the "Repository" dropdown again and select "Restore Packages". a new window will open:

this window lists all packages that are saved in the RDX_Recovery.lua file.
select the ones you want to load and click OK. As you can see in the red text, EXISTING OBJECTS WILL BE OVERWRITEN.

more info on creating OOBE packages can be found here (a little bit outdated):
http://wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23906
im just too lazy to rewrite that stuff now
04-09-10, 12:48 PM   #5
Diatrive
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Thanks for all the effort! Definitely helped : )
04-09-10, 01:29 PM   #6
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured

05-18-10, 03:31 PM   #7
Diatrive
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Hello, running into an issue of using recovery. I created the recovery as described and when providing people with the RDX files I used to install RDX and using the Recovery file it comes back up broken and none of the frames will render. Do I need to package up all the Interface/AddOns/RDX files also?

To be clear again, I have used the package manager to delve in and change all kinds of **** and make hodgepodge frames by combining, copying, pasting and such stuff from different frame packages and am trying to be able to instantly allow someone in the guild to use exactly what I have.

Thanks for any help.
05-18-10, 07:38 PM   #8
Dgrimes
A Black Drake

If you are using objects in different packages you need to also include those into the recovery file. If you are copying and pasting the objects into one package make sure the objects you have copied are getting pointed at correctly in the unit frames.

If you could tell us what the errors are when trying to load the frames we could help you out more.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » Saving/Sharing changes to a 3rd party frame.