07-14-10, 09:52 PM   #1
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

BETA; First impressions

Okay, I'm starting a new thread for first impressions of the Cataclysm Beta.

I hope this will be the place where we can discuss our likes and dislikes about the features, talk about where things have been relocated, etc...

When I first logged on, the first thing I noticed was that I probably should've stuck with a premade class that I was really familiar with. I logged in with a premade rogue, but its been so long since I've played one that I couldn't tell heads from tails over what my specs should be.

Next thing I did was to check my inventory. NICE! 5000g, a bronze drake, one of those feathery ostrich looking mounts (I can't remember the name) and some pretty decent gear, plus extras in your bag so you have some choices over how you're equipped.

The ability to fly in the main continents is really nice too. The only problem I had there was flying over Stormwind, I couldn't tell where I was from the air without looking at my map, because I'm so used to ground travel there.

Anyway, these are the first few things to strike me in the short time I had before my toon copies carried over and the servers reset.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

07-14-10, 10:00 PM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The part where premades get gold, gear, mounts and such is default for every kind of premade (PTR/Beta)

07-14-10, 10:08 PM   #3
neverg
A Frostmaul Preserver

The first thing I got from the Beta is I can't stay logged in for more then 3 minutes without getting a World Server is Down. :P

The new touches to the interface look good.

07-14-10, 10:13 PM   #4
IQgryn
A Cyclonian
I like the new talent trees, and I've started flying over the old world, starting from Booty Bay and heading north. There's a lot of neat changes, several unfinished zones but it looks awesome so far.

07-14-10, 10:19 PM   #5
Kjado
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I spent a while trying to make sense of the new talent system soon after we were able to log in today, but after futzing with it and getting frustrated I decided to just get started on leveling a druid (switching mains for the expansion). Chose resto as my primary tree in case I need to heal something along the way, and questing is easy enough to not really require a DPS spec. The resto tree as a whole is extremely janky right now. I know it will get the proper love before release, but the whole talent system feels very uninspiring at the moment (for example, in some trees you need to spec into almost every single talent just to progress down the tree). In terms of resto, Swiftmend is a duplicate talent (it exists in talent and freebie form, just from selecting the tree as your primary), and Tree of Life has been drastically changed (which I am in favor of), but doesn't seem to affect the non-healing spells that are listed for it. Plus the filler talents feel very awkward.

I managed to quest through the first couple small hubs in Mount Hyjal, and after flying around I must say it looks really nice. I am really looking forward to building my new computer when the parts arrive tomorrow, as the zone looks amazing even on this machine that is becoming aged.

The quests are... well, quests, I suppose you can only get innovative with them to a point. The zone seems to be almost entirely phased, as I could not find much of anything from flying around until I started at Nordrassil. It has been mostly kill and collect quests so far, but some old friends have shown up along the way. One thing I have to give a lot of credit to Blizzard for is the humor that goes into much of the more recent in-game dialog: be prepared for a lot of it! Of course people should probably expect that by now, since the game is becoming one huge melting pot of pop-culture references.

I only had a couple hours to really sit down and play, but even though a lot of things are roughly implemented so far, it's been fun. And I just remember to keep telling myself, 'IT'S BETA!', so it will still see a lot of polish before they even think about releasing it. Definitely looking forward to exploring more!

07-14-10, 10:27 PM   #6
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

First thing... made a Goblin Hunter. The Goblin area is very stable so I never had any crashes. I am currently level 9, but I am extremely loving all the new stuff already.

The best part... there is still SO MUCH to see... this made my day (and wait) really worthwhile

07-15-10, 12:30 AM   #7
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

First impression.
Everything looks good on the ui end.
The work done to the environment is great!
The water detail is omg.

Gripes

WTF all healers have a 2nd tier offensive spell that increases thier healing abilities 0_o. I have spent the better part of a few years yelling at healers who dps.

07-15-10, 12:44 AM   #8
Drauer
A Fallenroot Satyr

First impressions:
- new water is a bit too dark and "liquidy" - feels just like mercury
- ui improvements are good
- i done worgen starting zone with my worgen hunter (obv.) and with exception of massive "WORD SERVER DOWN" it feels great!

07-15-10, 12:57 AM   #9
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

The main problem I'm having at this point is getting used to the default interface all over again. It's gotta be going on 4 years since I played with all defaults, and now I'm finding out just how hard it is to readjust to it.

Other than that, everything seems to be working pretty well. It did take me a while to understand why my hunter couldn't summon any pets. There seems to be a glitch where you HAVE to visit a stable master and swap pets in and out of the active slots in order for them to be available. This doesn't seem like the correct default behavior, it feels pretty awkward. But once I got that straightened out, things seemed pretty good.

One more thing, any ideas where I can find glyphs for my premades? The ah is my usual source, but obviously it's out right now...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

07-15-10, 01:28 AM   #10
AtliThor
Now in color!

I like the fact that you now choose a spec and get bonuses bases solely on that choice.

I also very much like the fact that I got a Water Elemental at lvl 10 (Mage Frost spec talent) and that my Water Elemental's waterbolt does ~2x more damage per hit than any lvl <15 mob has
(Minor balancing issue there, but hey!)

Haven't been able to look around much yet. All my 80's are in Dalaran and there doesn't seem to be a working portal out of there. I just get DC when I try it :/

The UI changes are nice though. I especially like how the level-ups are displayed, and the new talents you have access to are flashed across the screen when they become available. The talent and profession windows look nice, although I'm not sure if they *work* nice yet.

I'll reserve judgment on the talent trees until they at least look like they weren't just randomly thrown together by the UI designers.

07-15-10, 01:43 AM   #11
Sekrin
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Started a goblin warrior last night, but only managed to get to level five so far. Goblin starting zone is great, lots of phasing going on.

07-15-10, 02:11 AM   #12
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

To bad the login problem got fixed after I had to go to bed. So hopefully I will get a sneak preview tonight.

I wll be creating a Worgen warrior and leveling him tank specced in defensive stance. And no, I don't like hurting myself.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 07-15-10 at 02:16 AM.

07-15-10, 02:14 AM   #13
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Sekrin View Post
Started a goblin warrior last night, but only managed to get to level five so far. Goblin starting zone is great, lots of phasing going on.
Same with the Worgen area. Gonna try goblins next....

07-15-10, 02:18 AM   #14
AlleyKat
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Worgen Hunter`s pet make me lol

07-15-10, 02:29 AM   #15
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Another impression......

Sooooo lost without healbot =P

07-15-10, 04:15 AM   #16
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post

One more thing, any ideas where I can find glyphs for my premades? The ah is my usual source, but obviously it's out right now...

There's a building in Dalaran where you will find NPC's for all the classes (across from the Legerdemain Lounge in the The Scribes Sacellum).. the hunter one will have the glyphs you need. In fact, the little guy is standing right outside the front door.

07-15-10, 04:56 AM   #17
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Just wondering, what type of gear do the premades have in particular?

07-15-10, 05:05 AM   #18
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Under OpenGL (Linux), there is no fancy water. The slider is there (just like the fancy shadows slider) and can be moved (not like the fancy shadows slider), but only the old water shows. Changing to Direct3D shows the new water, but halves (or worse) my FPS.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

07-15-10, 05:37 AM   #19
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
Just wondering, what type of gear do the premades have in particular?
All the premades have all 251 ilevel gear, no more. Some characters have some 232 trinkets or what not, but other than that, basic 10 man ICC gear. (t10)

07-15-10, 05:40 AM   #20
kkam
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Either world server or the entire realm (Mekkatorque-EU) seems to go up and down constantly today.
Other than that, awesome

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » BETA; First impressions