01-16-09, 07:51 AM   #1
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

sharing vars

is there a way to make two separate accounts use the same SavedVariables folder? tried replacing a folder with a shortcut and that didn't work. my main reason for this would be to keep one database for things like auctioneer and altoholic. i know there are UI management programs out there, i just havn't used them. could those be the answer?
01-16-09, 08:42 AM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The only thing you can do is synchronize the folders in the WTF folder of your WoW folder (the solution to this might be to use symlinks if you know how to use them). This could be as simple as copying between the two regularly, and it could be as complex as getting a program to do it for you. WoW does not support this by itself, though.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
01-18-09, 11:40 PM   #3
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

Symlinks are probably the way to go. Otherwise known as a 'symbolic' link. Google is your friend; look up symlinks. Also, if you are on a Unix based system (IE: Mac OSX), look up the manual file for 'link' that is the simplest way to make a symlink, using the command link, for a Unix system. However, if you are not on such a system, I dunno how to make a symlink on one of those.

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.
01-19-09, 02:44 AM   #4
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

thank you :-) this has helped me get half way. i am using vista and from command prompt i run mklink. but that is as far as i got, and don't really care to go the trial and error route. can anyone help me with the exact command to feed mklink? do i just set it up for the path to the global SavedVariables directory or do i set up a link for each file? for the record my wow dir is c:\world of warcraft\ and if i'm unable to link the entire directory at once, then i will first start with Altoholic.lua and test that out. also, in order for this to create an accurate database, both accounts would need to update both files, not ignore one, maybe that is as simple as setting up two links pointing at the opposite directory. that is, if i'm comprehending this correctly. thanks everyone, i feel like i've almost got this, just need the correct syntax of the command so i don't really screw things up.
01-20-09, 08:23 AM   #5
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
Multiple account support is working in Altoholic, although I haven't released it yet. It's being tested by my guild, but results are satisfying thus far.

Can't say when I'll release, I think I still need a week or two to polish a few other things. Hope that helps

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » sharing vars